The Great Particulate War (Writing thread)

Started by Bluepikmin64, December 11, 2016, 08:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoura3025

Quote from: Sorrontis on December 13, 2016, 11:27:52 AM
Let me know what you need from good old Sorrontis.

And I'm a bit of a roleplay nerd, so if you want a co-author I'd be glad to add fluff and details.
(09:06:07) Zoura3025: But for us diehard fans: "Time is Sanity"

Nicant

CW4 hype!!

TonnyT

Sounds great! I've been wondering where all this lost history was.
Let me know what you need from Novus Imperium.
Novus Imperium Corporation
CEO: Tony Carlisle

Today our concern must be with the future. For the world is changing. The old era is ending. The old ways will not do.

-President John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Bluepikmin64

Sorry writer's block. It tried to fit all of GalCorp into one section, but I couldn't think of a good transition, so I'll just post the good stuff.

1: The Meeting

A great city had been built, just like many others before them. The inhabitants were the designated "Last of Mankind" Of those onboard were two parties that would play major roles in the coming millennia. Their names: House Abraxis and The Particulate Remembrance Committee. House Abraxis had been with every human civilization, they held the knowledge of the Creeper and how to defeat it when the time came. The PRC was a group selected by the Seloi Governance Council to remember the Particulate and keep mankind safe from it's presence. That way, when the time came, the Particulate would once again fight off the Creeper. All the PRC would have to do is keep humanity out of Redacted Space. Easier said than done.

Exploration was in human nature, nothing could suppress human nature. Nothing was going to stop mankind from going where they shouldn't. Nothing, but fear, that is. To be safe, Humanity would have to fear the Particulate. The PRC realized the best way for this was for mankind to forget the Creeper. The Particulate could then be blamed for the Creeper's actions. But they couldn't do that with their current role. They were just a protected group like House Abraxis. No one could touch them due to their important role in society. They took this to their advantage, they began to commit fraud and take as much money as they could. With this money, they began to bribe the educational board. . . .

"You want us to do what?!" the Councilman said in shock.
The PRC representative scoffed, "You know exactly what I said, don't play dumb."
"Yes, but to not teach our children about the Creeper, about the atrocities committed? How could you sleep with yourself at night."
"Oh, but Councilman," she clasped her hands together, "we'll eventually forget about it like every other civilization!" She threw her hands apart, "What's the point of wasting energy on something we're not going to remember in a couple hundred years?" She rested her arm on his shoulder.
"Yes, but even if we were to stop teaching about the Creeper, the government would surely realize," the man began to profusely wring his tie. "We could get in trouble, the PRC could get in trouble."
The representative chuckled softly, "Don't worry about the government, the PRC's invincible, remember? We'll handle them."
"What are you going to do?" the Councilman said, pulling away from the woman, worry in his voice.
The representative winked, "That's a secret." she began to pack up her belongings and leave the room.
"Wait," the councilman stopped her, "What about the rest of the Board, and all the teachers, and the parents. Some of them will probably voice oppositions."
"If anyone says anything, give them as much as they want until they shut up," the representative slid him a currency access tablet.
"How'd you get this."
"Shhhh . . ."
"They named us the Straxoi, the blind. They named themselves the Seloi, the enlightened. . . I leave this message for whoever's next. When the time comes. . ." ~ Unknown source

Dark Ambition

Quote from: Bluepikmin64 on January 18, 2017, 04:39:11 PM
Sorry writer's block. It tried to fit all of GalCorp into one section, but I couldn't think of a good transition, so I'll just post the good stuff.

1: The Meeting

A great city had been built, just like many others before them. The inhabitants were the designated "Last of Mankind" Of those onboard were two parties that would play major roles in the coming millennia. Their names: House Abraxis and The Particulate Remembrance Committee. House Abraxis had been with every human civilization, they held the knowledge of the Creeper and how to defeat it when the time came. The PRC was a group selected by the Seloi Governance Council to remember the Particulate and keep mankind safe from it's presence. That way, when the time came, the Particulate would once again fight off the Creeper. All the PRC would have to do is keep humanity out of Redacted Space. Easier said than done.

Exploration was in human nature, nothing could suppress human nature. Nothing was going to stop mankind from going where they shouldn't. Nothing, but fear, that is. To be safe, Humanity would have to fear the Particulate. The PRC realized the best way for this was for mankind to forget the Creeper. The Particulate could then be blamed for the Creeper's actions. But they couldn't do that with their current role. They were just a protected group like House Abraxis. No one could touch them due to their important role in society. They took this to their advantage, they began to commit fraud and take as much money as they could. With this money, they began to bribe the educational board. . . .

"You want us to do what?!" the Councilman said in shock.
The PRC representative scoffed, "You know exactly what I said, don't play dumb."
"Yes, but to not teach our children about the Creeper, about the atrocities committed? How could you sleep with yourself at night."
"Oh, but Councilman," she clasped her hands together, "we'll eventually forget about it like every other civilization!" She threw her hands apart, "What's the point of wasting energy on something we're not going to remember in a couple hundred years?" She rested her arm on his shoulder.
"Yes, but even if we were to stop teaching about the Creeper, the government would surely realize," the man began to profusely wring his tie. "We could get in trouble, the PRC could get in trouble."
The representative chuckled softly, "Don't worry about the government, the PRC's invincible, remember? We'll handle them."
"What are you going to do?" the Councilman said, pulling away from the woman, worry in his voice.
The representative winked, "That's a secret." she began to pack up her belongings and leave the room.
"Wait," the councilman stopped her, "What about the rest of the Board, and all the teachers, and the parents. Some of them will probably voice oppositions."
"If anyone says anything, give them as much as they want until they shut up," the representative slid him a currency access tablet.
"How'd you get this."
"Shhhh . . ."

Nice!
Y'know, a character I recently thought up could easily fit into stuff like that... Should I PM you about him, or would you like to wait until I reveal him when I update my Frontline Corp page?

Bluepikmin64

Update: House Keeping

I know it's been a long time since I created this and barely updated it, but I'm going to try to update more. I just have one little house keeping thing. When creating your maps and your stories, if you would like to be apart of this lore, please stay up to date with it. What I mean by this is, if there are anythings that you think need to stay constant, PM me because I will add them to the list below. Because if everyone has their own Particulate origin story (for example) I'm gonna have a hard time writing.

Constants:
1. The leader of GalCorp in Dark Ambition's maps is named Executor Sylvester. (So please use this name for GalCorp's CEO, but you don't have to if you don't want to, I don't want to restrict your creative flows.)
"They named us the Straxoi, the blind. They named themselves the Seloi, the enlightened. . . I leave this message for whoever's next. When the time comes. . ." ~ Unknown source

Bluepikmin64

New lore thing. I'm not writing in order Or consistently writing pieces of the story, so it's a chronological mess. But here is the official start. This is the Prelouge, which comes before the Prolouge. I'm almost done with Part 0, which is the Prolouge so I may be able to post that soon.

P.S. Not sure if anyone still cares about this.

Spoiler
Prelouge: Futility

Our universe is not in any way, shape, or form unique. No, there may be hundreds upon thousands of universes existing simultaneously. Each one fundamentally different from each other. Unfortunately, we shan't be able to travel to any of these universes. No human could conceive what lies in the gap between these existences. As such, we wouldn't be able to produce any device that could breach this boundary, as we could never be prepared. If we did, however, there would be no way of knowing if we'd be able to return.

I have explained this to many of my colleagues and always one query always emerges. "What if we were to create a device to travel backwards in time and change something back there? Wouldn't that create a new universe for us to explore?" To this I always respond with a negative. For this is not how universe works. One can't simply create a new universe. No, what they are referring to is a different timeline.

There is a major difference between alternate timelines and alternate universes. As previously mention, every universe is fundamentally different from its counterparts. Whether it be the basic structure of the universe, the laws of physics, or even the structure of its atoms, there is some major difference that separates one universe from another. However, this is not the case with alternate timelines. These timelines all have the same fundamentals. One universe can have unlimited alternate timelines existing within it.

These timelines come about when any decision or any change occurs. At this point, timelines diverge, each one following a different outcome of the event which caused the point of divergence. It would be possible to travel between timelines in the way my colleagues suggested. One could create a device that traveled backwards through time. However, upon using it, they would never be able to come home again. This is a consequence of the manipulation of a timeline.

If one were to return to their original timeline at the time they left, whatever change they made, no matter how subtle would have drastic consequences. A paradox could be created. The maker of the change could cease to exist, thus meaning the change shouldn't have occurred. But through the formation of a new timeline, this instability will never occur, thus ensuring the stability of the universe. 

After explaining this, my colleagues usually begin to question me further. "Is it possible to travel between timelines without creating a new one?", "Is it possible to change a timeline, one in which you don't exist, without a point of divergence emerging." These queries are going farther into the theoretical than I had wished to delve. However, upon thinking about I believe I have the answer.

Yes, but you would need a special sort of machine. A machine, I'm still not sure if possible. This machine would use the power of a singularity. In this sense, a "Singularity" is not a black hole or a point at which a new universe starts. Rather, it's a uniqueness between universes. As has been previously stated, there are an infinity of universes, each with difference between them. However, these differences are so hard to notice, that only one small undefinable difference exists. This difference is the Singularity.

The machine I propose, improbable could travel between timelines by anchoring on this difference. However, another factor is needed, a point. This point, can be anywhere in the universe. However, the older this point the better. For it must be a location that exists throughout all timelines. That way, whilst traveling it will always know where to go in the new timeline. A final factor in the creation of this device, is the existence of this device. If this device exists in any other timelines, it may be impossible for a second to be created, as it would be impossible for multiple objects to exist at one point at the same time. As such, certain timelines would be inaccessible at certain point.

The creation of this machine becomes a race. A race only one can win. I believe timelines may play a role in this race. Each timeline within our universe can be measured by a force known as Futility. The Futility of a timeline increases every time a point of divergence occurs. However, timelines diverged from the same source won't have the same Futility. Rather, all timelines except one will become more Futile. The timeline whose Futility stays the same is the one who is closer to the creation of the singularity device thanks to the made decision.

Futility of course is immeasurable. The only amount measurable is from the timeline who creates the device as they would have a Futility of 0. The timeline with 0 FUs (Futility Units) will most conceivably be the original timeline from which all others diverged, as there is no way to decrease Futility, only increase it or not gain any. Once the device is created, all efforts in other timelines will be futile and pointless (hence the name).

However, this is all purely theoretical. If a device such as the one I proposed were to exist, and the Futility scaleworks as proposed, I see it pointless to search for the machine. After all, our efforts would most likely end in failure. There's no point pursuing something that may never be within our grasp. To anyone seeking to travel to another timeline or even another universe, I wish you the best of luck, but I shan't participate in such a ridiculous endeavor.

End of the Prelouge
[close]

GoodMorning

I think you have here the start of a book.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

tornado

This actually gives me the urge to go and write up some lore(though to be blunt were kinda summed up in the sentence"The CEO is slightly mad, we aren't for or against any one side, and we research the enemy").
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one

joebob1337

Don't forget me and the Excalibur Corporation, I am very much alive. :D

Three_Pryme

I realize that im very late to the discussion. And ive taken a hiatus for far too long, but is this thread still going on? And if so can my corporation be added?
Commanding officer in particle extermination

Steam ID:Three_Pryme

FOXX

And the FPAF is waiting what information you need from our CEO?
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!
Including  CUSTOM MODULE MAPS & SHIPS

tornado

Quote from: Bluepikmin64 on March 07, 2017, 12:22:58 PM
New lore thing. I'm not writing in order Or consistently writing pieces of the story, so it's a chronological mess. But here is the official start. This is the Prelouge, which comes before the Prolouge. I'm almost done with Part 0, which is the Prolouge so I may be able to post that soon.

P.S. Not sure if anyone still cares about this.

Spoiler
Prelouge: Futility

Our universe is not in any way, shape, or form unique. No, there may be hundreds upon thousands of universes existing simultaneously. Each one fundamentally different from each other. Unfortunately, we shan't be able to travel to any of these universes. No human could conceive what lies in the gap between these existences. As such, we wouldn't be able to produce any device that could breach this boundary, as we could never be prepared. If we did, however, there would be no way of knowing if we'd be able to return.

I have explained this to many of my colleagues and always one query always emerges. "What if we were to create a device to travel backwards in time and change something back there? Wouldn't that create a new universe for us to explore?" To this I always respond with a negative. For this is not how universe works. One can't simply create a new universe. No, what they are referring to is a different timeline.

There is a major difference between alternate timelines and alternate universes. As previously mention, every universe is fundamentally different from its counterparts. Whether it be the basic structure of the universe, the laws of physics, or even the structure of its atoms, there is some major difference that separates one universe from another. However, this is not the case with alternate timelines. These timelines all have the same fundamentals. One universe can have unlimited alternate timelines existing within it.

These timelines come about when any decision or any change occurs. At this point, timelines diverge, each one following a different outcome of the event which caused the point of divergence. It would be possible to travel between timelines in the way my colleagues suggested. One could create a device that traveled backwards through time. However, upon using it, they would never be able to come home again. This is a consequence of the manipulation of a timeline.

If one were to return to their original timeline at the time they left, whatever change they made, no matter how subtle would have drastic consequences. A paradox could be created. The maker of the change could cease to exist, thus meaning the change shouldn't have occurred. But through the formation of a new timeline, this instability will never occur, thus ensuring the stability of the universe. 

After explaining this, my colleagues usually begin to question me further. "Is it possible to travel between timelines without creating a new one?", "Is it possible to change a timeline, one in which you don't exist, without a point of divergence emerging." These queries are going farther into the theoretical than I had wished to delve. However, upon thinking about I believe I have the answer.

Yes, but you would need a special sort of machine. A machine, I'm still not sure if possible. This machine would use the power of a singularity. In this sense, a "Singularity" is not a black hole or a point at which a new universe starts. Rather, it's a uniqueness between universes. As has been previously stated, there are an infinity of universes, each with difference between them. However, these differences are so hard to notice, that only one small undefinable difference exists. This difference is the Singularity.

The machine I propose, improbable could travel between timelines by anchoring on this difference. However, another factor is needed, a point. This point, can be anywhere in the universe. However, the older this point the better. For it must be a location that exists throughout all timelines. That way, whilst traveling it will always know where to go in the new timeline. A final factor in the creation of this device, is the existence of this device. If this device exists in any other timelines, it may be impossible for a second to be created, as it would be impossible for multiple objects to exist at one point at the same time. As such, certain timelines would be inaccessible at certain point.

The creation of this machine becomes a race. A race only one can win. I believe timelines may play a role in this race. Each timeline within our universe can be measured by a force known as Futility. The Futility of a timeline increases every time a point of divergence occurs. However, timelines diverged from the same source won't have the same Futility. Rather, all timelines except one will become more Futile. The timeline whose Futility stays the same is the one who is closer to the creation of the singularity device thanks to the made decision.

Futility of course is immeasurable. The only amount measurable is from the timeline who creates the device as they would have a Futility of 0. The timeline with 0 FUs (Futility Units) will most conceivably be the original timeline from which all others diverged, as there is no way to decrease Futility, only increase it or not gain any. Once the device is created, all efforts in other timelines will be futile and pointless (hence the name).

However, this is all purely theoretical. If a device such as the one I proposed were to exist, and the Futility scaleworks as proposed, I see it pointless to search for the machine. After all, our efforts would most likely end in failure. There's no point pursuing something that may never be within our grasp. To anyone seeking to travel to another timeline or even another universe, I wish you the best of luck, but I shan't participate in such a ridiculous endeavor.

End of the Prelouge
[close]

Two things.
1:We do care.
2:What you describe sounds like a Dr.Who Fixed Point. there one in a lake in Utah if I remember correctly.

this also acts as a wakeup call. thanking you kindly.
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one

Bluepikmin64

So just a little update. I was a little depressed, but I think I'm better now, so I'm going to try and write this again. But, I'm going to restart it and rewrite it a little. I was trying to do a documentary style, but I'm really not good with that, so it will be more of a novel. Most stuff will still be narrated and summarized, but there will be a lot more actual story segments. Also, what is Part 1, is going to become Part 2 as I will do the plot of PF as well. With that mess out of the way, a few requests:

1. If you're interested in having your stuff being in this story please PM me so I can make a comprehensive list of who I need to talk to.
2. Also on this topic, for your stuff, post a list of significant events you'd like me to write (i.e. backstories, plots of missions and anything else you deem important.) (Don't worry about the details, I'll ask you about those when I'm ready to write about your stuff.)
3. (Optional) To go along with #2, for the events in your list provide songs to go with them. It can be any song of any genre. (The reason is because I write best to music, and the tone of the piece usually coincides with the tone of the music.)
4. If your stuff connects with someone else's please tell me so I can effectively group them together.
5. I'm sorry for giving mainly updates and barely any story pieces. (Please forgive me)
6. Finally, anyone is able to contribute to this project any way they please.

Heres some random unfinished pieces I've been working on for this mess:

Spoiler

1: 0 Somewhere In Redacted Space

"Prepare to drop out of the Rift!" The brave CEO Varro Hale commanded to his crew. It was time to see once and for all if the stories he had heard were true.

"Sir, the Particulate threat, it's massive." COO Lakshmi announced from the console. So, the Particulate did exist. Of course it did. Everyone knew that. The Particulate's existence wasn't what he was worried about.

As the ship materialized out of Rift Space, he saw it, what he had been searching for. "The info cache is here . . ." Just like it was supposed to be, but that could have just been a coincidence. He wouldn't know until they collected it. He would know in a few seconds whether or not this journey was pointless. He just had to give the order. And he did, "Engage!"

Lakshmi called from the console once again. "Jump complete sir!"

The ship's lathe immediately began constructing an energy mine, as the crew queued up three Gal. Corp. ships, a Lathe, a Destroyer, and a Cruiser. The energy mine finished construction. As the Command ship's lathe began to collect the info cache, the crew could only watch in horror as the Particulate began to form into something else. Something massive, and worse than the sum of its parts. Something no one at Hale corporation, and perhaps anyone alive had ever seen before.

The transcript from the cache appeared on the CEO's console. As he read the information, his tortured face began to contort. It transformed from a look of sheer terror to an amalgamation of that and inconsolable despair.

"In Odin's name . . . it was true," Varro gasped out, the crew watching as their usually stone faced CEO crumbled into a mass of tears and sorrow. No, it couldn't be. It wasn't. No, it's a lie. It wasn't happening. This had to be a joke. No, it wasn't true, he knew it wasn't. Everything he had heard, it had to be lies. They were all lies. They were all goddamned lies! But, who . . . who would lie about something like that. It wasn't a farce, none of it, "It was all true!" he cried out as realization joined the chimera that resided within his face.

An excruciatingly cheery tone pinged on the console. Lakshmi spoke up from amidst the terrified crew, her voice laced with subtle hints of insecurity, "We have retrieved the info cache. Your orders sir . . ."

His orders? Of course, he was the CEO after all. His face returned to it's normal somber tone. He knew what he had to do. He spoke up, allowing everyone to hear his thick accent. An accent of someone hailing from the sectors around Far York. "Extract the contents and prepare it for Rift Transmission!"
It was Lakshmi's turn to change facial expressions. Her face was overcome with fear and shock. "But sir, the power drain will be massive, and make it impossible to jump."

"I know Lakshmi . . ." Of course he knew this. How could anyone not notice. But the information on the cache. "The data . . ." he said aloud. If they got back into the range of Gal. Corp. they would lose the data. Gal. Corp. would seize the rest of his assets, including this ship and the data on board. After all that was the punishment for entering Redacted Space. Who knows what they would do with the data. This was the only foreseeable solution. "It . . It has been an honor," he said after a moment of silence.

"I understand," they all did. They all knew what would happen. After all no one could go up against the Galactic Corporation. And those who tried were seen as criminals and scum by the whole empire. Lakshmi pressed some buttons on the controls, "Preparing transmission," she said solemnly. "Sending," she announced as she hit one final key on the panel.

But it was as if the Particulate could sense her actions, for the moment she hit send the red mass began to advance. The particles began to move toward the remains of Hale Corporation. As it did this it revealed it's terrible secret. Behind the mass, came a ship, one that seemed to be constructed solely from particulate. All hell broke loose aboard the ship. The crewmen had begun to regret this decision. After what seemed like an eternity, CEO Hale finally spoke up, "Crew, know that we do not fall in vain!"

[close]

Spoiler

*Credit To Dark Ambition. Holland Floyd was created by them.

0: ?? Holland Floyd

When Holland Floyd came to power, many were skeptical, as he was associated with the Collective of Fire, a group who was relatively harmless, but had been known to do some dangerous things. They had gotten into trouble countless times, but despite this the general public still loved Floyd. He was a charming gentleman.  After his rise to power he still associated with this group. On his free nights, which were few and far between, he would hang out at one of the many clubs the Collective owned, much to his security's dismay. When the group got into trouble, he would often bail them out or protect them from whatever circumstance they had gotten into. Many accused Floyd of abusing his power, but this abuse was a foreseen consequence. After all, Holland Floyd had been best friends with the Collective's leader Alabaster Holtz since youth.

However, all these actions changed when he married his wife Suzanna. He calmed down, he would sometimes go out drinking with Alabaster, but he wouldn't get up to the un-leader-like  circumstances he had in the past. However, he eventually stopped drinking too. This trend began when his son, Alphonze Floyd was born. Alphonze was dangerously underweight at birth and had serious mental impairment. Most assumed that he wouldn't survive past the first week, but he did. He became known as the miracle child.  Holland's life became wrapped around his empire, his wife, and his son.

The Collective's situation rapidly changed in that moment. They had been getting more and more intense with their actions because they knew the Imperator would have their back. The turning point occurred when the Collective stole valuable artifacts from a museum and killed three people in the process. . .

"Imperator Floyd! Imperator Floyd, how do you feel knowing the group you associate with has committed such a heinous act?" The reported inquired, "How will this affect your political career?"
"I want the press to know that I do not associate with this group anymore. Yes, some of my actions in the past towards them were pretty lenient, but I will not have my citizens believe I associate with terrorist!"

This statement did not go over very well with the Collective. Three days later, the leaders of the group were tried with treason for defiling the rich history of the empire. Alabaster Holtz miraculously escaped custody and was on the run for three months straight. They eventually caught him, but not after he had gotten his revenge on the man who had wronged him . . .

The first sound Holland Floyd heard when he awoke was his five year old child wailing. "Mama! Mama! Mama!" He cried. He must of had a nightmare, Holland thought. Considering the lack of his wife in bed, she had probably gone to take care of it. He laid his head down to go back to sleep until he heard, "Mama, no sleepy! Mama, wakey please!" Holland was down the hall in a matter of seconds.

Walking into his child's room he was terrified to see the body of his wife lying bloodied on the floor. He reached for the button to call security, when a voice reprimanded, "I wouldn't do that if I were you."
Holland looked to see himself face to face with, "Alabaster Holtz," he gasped.
"Holland, don't look so surprised to see me. I thought you'd be happy. I'm ridding you of the burdens that caused this horrid new lifestyle," he chuckled menacingly.
"You bastard," Floyd started.
"Careful," Alabaster sneered, "You wouldn't want your 'Miracle Child' to hear those bad words. It could be bad for his brain. Who am I kidding," he scoffed, "he's a retard and we all know it, nothing I say to him will matter."
"How dare you, you murder my wife and now you think you can insult my child like that," Holland yelled.
Alabaster faked being shocked, "How dare I? How dare I?! How about 'How dare you'. You're the one who called me a terrorist and tried me for treason, after everything we've been through. But no hard feelings. That's why I'm here, to rid you of these distraction, to get you back to your old ways. You should be thanking me," he laughed.
"Alabaster, I've bailed you out countless times," Holland pleaded, "But you went too far this time. I couldn't protect you any longer."
"You're just saying that because you wanted to look like a 'good family man', But like I said, I'm here to help you forget that. Now," he continued, "the piece de la resistance."
Holland knew exactly what he meant, "Don't you dare touch him!"
"That's the beauty of artillery, Holland. Ya don't need to touch'em." He aimed the laser pistol towards the child's head, "Don't worry, I'm going to put you out of your misery. Your daddy's a bad man, he was just going to let you suffer like this for the rest of your life," Holland reached for the security button as Alabaster was monologuing. "Oh look," Alabaster commented, "your daddy has just called security, shame their not going to reach here in time," he looked at Holland, "Remember this one from our youth?" He got into a stance, a stance Holland remembered. The stance Alabaster always took when he shot beer bottles off the roof of their building. Before Holland could do anything he shot the child. There was not so much as a cry as the child fell backward.
"Duck, Imperator Floyd," a voice called. Holland fell to the ground, head in his hands, crying as a shot blasted his ex-best friend against the wall. . .

[close]

Part 0 Trailer
Spoiler

*Credit to Dark Ambition. Part 0 is about the Seloi and specifically DA's characters

This is the story of three men

Holland Floyd,

Timothy Carlisle,

Locus Harper

Slowly torn apart by a war yet to come

(Person from before Seloi) " And when mankind least expected it, the Creeper would always return. I leave this message for whoever's next. When the time comes. . ."

"Oh you think you're under a lot of stress?!" (Locus shouts slamming his hands on the table) "I've been leading a project to save our species from extinction."
(Holland sighs) "Locus, that's what would be expected from the Archivist. That's the way it's always been. That's a part of your job."
" My job? My Job?! What about your job!  Timothy's doing that for you, while, I might add, he's also acting as the Caretaker as well. How much stress do you think he's under."
"Yes but I'm not stable enough to lead an empire."
"I understand losing your wife and child is sad, but think of what's at stake? Our entire species! Are the lives of your family more important than those of the rest of the human race?"

Forced to make decisions for the good of mankind

(Holland) "I regret to inform you that I am no longer capable of leading anymore. I shall hereby relinquish my role of Imperator until my mental state has healed."

(Locus) "I'm going to upload my mind to the Progenitor's mainframe."
(Timothy) "Locus, are you insane, you could get killed!"
"If it'll buy you time to escape, so be it!"

This is the story of the legacy they will leave behind

(Holland) "When the time comes, we shall flee to a protected area of space. This will be the area we shall inhabit. Meanwhile, the Particulate will fight the Creeper and discover the Arc."

A mistake that would be felt for generations to come

"Sir! The Loki Hive, they seem to have taken over the Progenitor! They're flooding Rift Space! We'll never be able to escape."

A solution just out of reach

(Locus) "Loki Hive, what is the Arc?"
Part 0: "Above all others. . ." (Narrator's voice shifts to the Loki Hive's voice)
". . . you must perish."

[close]