Custom Map #346: Miniature Battle. By: Grabz

Started by AutoPost, November 17, 2016, 09:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #346: Miniature Battle

Author: Grabz
Size: 320x90

Desc:
This is a simulation battle where you command a fleet of miniature ships through an elaborate asteroid field. Your mission is to fend off the enemy Particulate and destroy the Progenitor.

koker93

Anybody know why the tankers refuse to refill?

Daginger

I had no problems with the tankers... super little map, could be done with less ships but loved the "mini" ship idea

yum-forum

WOW! So nice miniature game!  :)
Original idea, good balance of game, no stress battle. Only at the beginning was not easy understand functions of small ships.
Surely 10/10! Thank You for enjoyable game!
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

Grabarz

Quote from: yum-forum on November 18, 2016, 04:31:26 AM
WOW! So nice miniature game!  :)
Original idea, good balance of game, no stress battle. Only at the beginning was not easy understand functions of small ships.
Surely 10/10! Thank You for enjoyable game!
Thanks! I really thought I made it a bit too easy, and I probably did, although I could barely capture the entire left side of the map (before the tunnel thingy) before the enemy particles would start flowing in, and I figured the map would put up a bit more of a fight to a less experienced player who wouldn't reach it in time.

I actually made this map a while ago as I couldn't really balance it the way I wanted, but I figured I'd post it anyway so maybe someone gets inspired :)

The names of the ships were supposed to hint at their armament.

Quote from: koker93 on November 18, 2016, 12:20:18 AM
Anybody know why the tankers refuse to refill?
You've probably built too many ships. I may have given a bit too many.. :P

The tanker, as opposed to an energy pod, can only give out energy at max speed across all ships in range, because it only receives energy from a single stream. The energy pod is an energy source, so provided you can support it, it can provide energy at max speed to each individual ship in range.

D0m0nik

Fantastic map, 10/10. I think you had the difficulty set to exactly the right level, enough time to establish but then a real challenge to push forward. The terrain and small ships was a joy, like a jigsaw.

Yum - the names are abbreviations! Prob not obvious when translating from Japanese! lsr – laser, lth – lathe quite a clever system for naming.

On the tankers I found:
Spoiler
It is important to have ALL units being fed by the most easterly tanker and to have your tankers laid out in a linear pattern. Each tanker feeds only the next and then the only tanker to feed units is the last one. I discovered this half way through and it sped things up a lot.
[close]

koker93

The drones leaving the tankers cannot refuel until you spend a gem on energy range.  I knew I would need a lot of tankers for the energy needed on the front so I didn't bother.  The map worked when I changed strategy.

Awesome map BTW.  I really enjoyed the addition to the defense you get as soon as you start to mire the v shaped land in the middle.

Grabarz

Quote from: koker93 on November 19, 2016, 12:05:49 AM
The drones leaving the tankers cannot refuel until you spend a gem on energy range.  I knew I would need a lot of tankers for the energy needed on the front so I didn't bother.  The map worked when I changed strategy.
You should be able to just keep the first tanker in range of the starting energy pod, and then link the other tankers to it. If you're creative, there should be enough tankers to link them all together without actually needing the guppy, though I'm not actually sure if using guppies and putting all the tankers in the front is better - up to you to figure it out! :P

TypoNinja

Fastastic, fun.

Only needed 4 tankers. If you throw an amp gem in them their support range increase. Combine with an Energy Range Increase upgrade and you can squeeze your first tanker under the energy source on the forward island and daisy chain them from there.