[Bug?] High GPU use doing nothing...

Started by Game Loser, November 10, 2016, 10:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Game Loser

Windows 7 Pro x64
Particle Fleet v1.0.2
System in signature.

Yeah, I know I am using (very) old hardware, but I thought it a bit odd that the GPU was being hit when I was in the "ship building" section.  There are no fancy graphics here or anything of any consequence (that I can see) that would cause the GPU to be working. 
Process Explorer suggests between 11 and 15% useage, even when Particle Fleet is minimised to tray.

I do notice that v1.0.2 improves CPU use considerably, and makes for smoother frame rate and less system hit.  I can actually multitask with Particle Fleet paused and minimized on v1.0.2.
AMD Ryzen 1700X / 32GiB DDR4 / Zotac Mini GeForce GTX 1070

knucracker

THe main menu (and related screens) all run at 60fps.  That alone will take some GPU time.  Even though it may look like text or buttons and such, all of that is still 3d geometry to the GPU.  So expect some load, just like during the game.

But sitting on the ship editor screen off the main menu shouldn't be too bad.  It depends on what kind of ship you have up.  If you have a ship with lots and lots of modules (like covered in lasers) that will increase the 'draw calls' to the GPU and increase the apparent load.  Try loading a very small ship and compare that to a larger ship and see if you notice any difference.

Game Loser

Thanks for the quick reply.
The size of the ship in the Ship Editor seemed to make zero difference.
I just popped out of that to the main menu, and the GPU (according to Process Explorer) is using the same ~12%.  CPU is about 6-8%, which is completely acceptable.

When minimized or another window dumped over the top, there seems to be no change in GPU usage.  When running in Full Screen vs. Windowed (to full screen) I get an increase of about 3% GPU.

To be honest, if no one else comes in experiencing this issue, I wouldn't put too much into it.
For all I know my GFx drivers maybe loading something they shouldn't, or leaving something burning away that should have been closed.

I guess I notice more because I have a silent GPU, and have an exhaust fan that runs very quietly.  When I hear fan noise, I know something is being hammered, and it's not the CPU, MB or HDDs.
AMD Ryzen 1700X / 32GiB DDR4 / Zotac Mini GeForce GTX 1070