Custom Map #241: Salvage Operation. By: Decagon

Started by AutoPost, October 26, 2016, 06:12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #241: Salvage Operation

Author: Decagon
Size: 256x144

Desc:
After the disastrous rescue attempt of the Ticon Corporation from the Particulates, hyperspace restabilised enough to allow the HDF leadership to send a fleet to recover anything left behind. Unfortunately, the Particulates have established a sizeable force around the derelicts of the fallen defenders. It is up to you to break through and recover the Ticon black box before the Particles counterattack.

Lisimba

I like this map. There's a good amount of pressure at the start, making things exciting. The defenses at the end take some work to punch through too, but it didn't get boring.

Spoiler
I kamikazed the enemy ship with the big gun on it. This cost me several large ships but even with the rebuild time it was probably worth it.
[close]

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: Lisimba on October 26, 2016, 12:42:26 PM
I like this map. There's a good amount of pressure at the start, making things exciting. The defenses at the end take some work to punch through too, but it didn't get boring.

Spoiler
I kamikazed the enemy ship with the big gun on it. This cost me several large ships but even with the rebuild time it was probably worth it.
[close]

I'm glad you liked it!

Spoiler
I found that if you use one of the tougher ships as a meat shield, like the carrier you find in the beginning or the DF Frigate, to absorb the Cruiser's shots, you can use the rest of your fleet to pound it to use up its energy through its shield. Once the energy is depleted (since there are no other energy mines it can draw from), it crumbles pretty fast, and you can do it without losing a single ship.

Still, it's pretty cool you found another way to overcome it! :D
[close]
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

fumbuckle

Great map! I liked the story tie in and the derelict ships taken over by particulate were so well done.
Spoiler
I took out the big gun with a couple small ships, and then my fleet took the rest of that ship down easily. I really enjoyed the ship designs and the little shield ship was my favorite. I used it a ton. I also wish I played a little more aggressively. I was timid in taking down the final HQ area; I probably could've shaved off two minutes if I was more decisive.
[close]

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: fumbuckle on October 27, 2016, 01:31:41 AM
Great map! I liked the story tie in and the derelict ships taken over by particulate were so well done.
Spoiler
I took out the big gun with a couple small ships, and then my fleet took the rest of that ship down easily. I really enjoyed the ship designs and the little shield ship was my favorite. I used it a ton. I also wish I played a little more aggressively. I was timid in taking down the final HQ area; I probably could've shaved off two minutes if I was more decisive.
[close]

Thanks! The idea for this map actually came from a run through of the final story mission I did, where I used my custom ships instead. I kinda liked the idea of something along the lines of tying an alternate version of the story in with the 'lore' of my own corporation, and from the looks of things it went quite well! :D
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

ChaosMaster130

I found that you can dungeon bypass the "final" area buy just remotely building a Omni within the area and getting the info cache with it.
Saves some time I believe.
Spamming my Up+B Special since 1999!

imayhew

Just finished the first two missions and I absolutely LOVE the Homeworld ship designs. The frigates from the first mission were instantly recognizable and every single time I unlock a new ship it's a delight. Excellent maps so far and can't wait to do the rest!