Emergent behavior

Started by Helios, October 19, 2016, 05:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helios

I've figured some thing out about Emergents:

They only begin to attack (move towards) individual targets when getting really close to them.
Viable targets including ships, omnis/mines and allied emergents (merging).
Does not target particles, although they do collide with them.

When there are no targets close to them, they will hang around the center of a "zone".
This "zone" is outlined by all your ships combined.

I.E. if you have one single ship, they will move towards it, since this zone is just a single point.
If you have two ships, they will hang around the middle point between the two ships.
If you have three ships, which forms a triangle, they will hang around the center of this triangle shaped "zone".
If you have no ships, they will hang around enemy "zone" instead, formed by things like mire spawner.

The one thing I haven't figured out is how they decide where to spawn, though it's not totally random per my observation.

Any help?

GoodMorning

Quote from: virgilw
Speaking of blue emergent...
Set a rally point in some place of safety and let them accumulate.  When you make an assault, set the rally point where you are going.  They can cut through struc, ships, and enemy emergent.. for as long as you have them.

The same is true for red emergent, but for most missions you have something the enemy does not:  missiles.  An amp'd wolf can create a bubble of safety.

Movement wise, enemy emergent basically take up a position somewhere on a line between the enemy center of 'mass' and the player center of 'mass'.  Imagine all of the enemy positions and their center.  Do the same for you ships.  Somewhere on that line is where the emergent will move to.  They move closer to your ships the more power the enemy grows.  If an emergent sees a nearby ship, it is attracted to it.  That's how you get them tearing through ships.  Stay away, and they won't see your ships.

Emergent are attracted to some rally point.  Their position relative to that rally point determines which of the 4 directions they are allowed to move.  So you get movement generally towards the rally point, but with some room for overshoot.

I understand that the spawn location criterion is "land mired in the correct colour", with locations either selected at random from this group of potential locations, or random locations then checked against this criterion.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.