Strut Info

Started by traisjames, October 16, 2016, 05:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traisjames

When building a map you can build regular strut, strut with arrows, and armor strut.  What is the difference between the three?

Ovalcircle

Regular struc means one square can block one particle before being destroyed. Armor struc makes it so the squares take 3-4 hits before being destroyed. The struc with arrows acts as a field + regular struc, making particles move in whatever direction the arrows are facing while also defending from enemy particles.
[REDACTED]

"If you are good at something, never do it."

Sorrontis

Quote from: Ovalcircle on October 16, 2016, 07:11:19 PM
Regular struc means one square can block one particle before being destroyed. Armor struc makes it so the squares take 3-4 hits before being destroyed. The struc with arrows acts as a field + regular struc, making particles move in whatever direction the arrows are facing while also defending from enemy particles.

Do you know the strength of that said field?
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

traisjames

Quote from: Ovalcircle on October 16, 2016, 07:11:19 PM

I built a map with an aimmed emitter and field struc aimed 90° off the path and they still go in a straight line.

Karsten75

If you want help with a map, you have to upload a copy of the map here.

Ovalcircle

I just tested it and the struc with arrows does absolutely nothing, so I have no idea what it's supposed to do. Someone used it in a map and I thought it was a field because some of the particles were going that way. It makes sense that it would be a field, because the arrows are the same as a regular field, only thicker because it's on struc.
[REDACTED]

"If you are good at something, never do it."

Sorrontis

Quote from: Ovalcircle on October 16, 2016, 08:32:04 PM
I just tested it and the struc with arrows does absolutely nothing, so I have no idea what it's supposed to do. Someone used it in a map and I thought it was a field because some of the particles were going that way. It makes sense that it would be a field, because the arrows are the same as a regular field, only thicker because it's on struc.

I too tested it, with both blue & red particles on all blue strut. The only difference is the armoured strut.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Karsten75

Quote from: Sorrontis on October 16, 2016, 08:35:26 PM

I too tested it, with both blue & red particles on all blue strut. The only difference is the armoured strut.

Can you guys check your log files for exceptions? I've not messed with it since a map from teknotiss way back in the Alpha/Beta, but I don't think it should have stopped working. There was a lot of re-jigging, so once we discount a bug, we can ask V to look into it

Karsten75

Belay that. I looked in the work log and found this:

QuoteSep 5, 2016: Removed unnecessary lookup of struc fields by particles per update (feature isn't used anymore). Increases efficiency of game during large particle count scenarios.

Seems Struc fields are a thing of the past. Might want to ask V to remove the remnants of it. I'll bring this to his attention. Thanks for the heads-up.

Sorrontis

log & test map

Edit: "never mind"