AutoPost · 4350

AutoPost

• Global Moderator
on: October 12, 2016, 07:14:53 pm
This topic is for discussion of map #149: Column

Author: Sorrontis
Size: 32x500

Desc:
Well, this is a tight squeeze. Good luck, it's a tough one.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 03:35:54 pm by virgilw »

chwooly

Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 08:40:03 pm
I am sure there is some stupid little trick to this map but honestly the micromanagement that seems to required is making this map the worst map I have played to date. I can't count how many times I have had to rebuild ships. It is just not a fun map for me

Thanks for making it but honestly not having any room to maneuver just makes it an exercise in rage quitting

“Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Sorrontis

• Community Guild
  • CW4! CW4! CW4! CW4! CW4!
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 09:10:40 pm
"...an exercise in rage quitting"

Fair point.

So, micromanagement is a no-no for you chwooly. :D Thanks for playing.

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

chwooly

Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 09:23:17 pm
"...an exercise in rage quitting"

Fair point.

So, micromanagement is a no-no for you chwooly. :D Thanks for playing.

So far this and map 47 are the only 2 maps I have not beaten, I have enjoyed every other one you have made and I appreciate the time you invested in making them.

27 downloads, 1 score.

Cheers.

“Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.”

D0m0nik

• Community Guild
  • Dp
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 02:46:03 pm
stupid little trick

27 downloads, 1 score.

Cheers.

Chwooly, not sure if you mean to but your posts sometimes come across a little aggressive and possibly even rude.

I do agree this is a very difficult map though and it certainly won't be for everyone. In fact it will be for a very small number of people but there does need to be maps of every level of player and as long as someone can beat it then it is a positive contribution to the game.

I personally cannot beat this map at this sitting but I will not doubt be back for another shot!

Sorrontis

• Community Guild
Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 03:04:43 pm
The stupid little trick:

(click to show/hide)

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Doug

Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 05:07:54 pm
Fun map! Took a couple of tries to get started but now I'm just stuck at the end. All six ships lined up attacking the particle flood within inches but I cant seem to knock enough of it back to get a shot at the emitter:/

Sorrontis

• Community Guild
Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 05:08:49 pm
Fun map! Took a couple of tries to get started but now I'm just stuck at the end. All six ships lined up attacking the particle flood within inches but I cant seem to knock enough of it back to get a shot at the emitter:/

(click to show/hide)

Sorrontis

• Community Guild
Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 06:58:21 pm
10 Ratings (Average 2.9 :o), 3 Completed Plays.  ??? Either people don't like this map, or people really don't like this map.  :-\

svartmes

Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 07:20:18 pm
I'm surprised I'm currently at first place on the highscore with only 3 people on it, I honestly did not have that much trouble with this map. It looked ridiculously hard at first but was a pretty straightforward march. I guess most people give up early as seeing all those particles can be pretty daunting.
(click to show/hide)

Imho this map kind of highlights one of the shortcomings of this game though. Even though I now have about 80 hours playtime in this game and judging by the scoreboards am one of the better players out there, there's still so much about this game I don't really understand. For example the emitters can seem random at times. I don't know how powerful they are and when or why this value changes. I hope Virgil will add mouse-over info text, like with the emitters in cw3, in upcoming patch.
Sure I could probably read up about the specific mechanics in the wiki or here on the forums but I don't feel that one should have to (and I never did in the cw games), imo everything you need to know should be in the game.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 07:49:27 pm by svartmes »

chwooly

Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 07:56:01 pm
stupid little trick

27 downloads, 1 score.

Cheers.

Chwooly, not sure if you mean to but your posts sometimes come across a little aggressive and possibly even rude.

I do agree this is a very difficult map though and it certainly won't be for everyone. In fact it will be for a very small number of people but there does need to be maps of every level of player and as long as someone can beat it then it is a positive contribution to the game.

I personally cannot beat this map at this sitting but I will not doubt be back for another shot!

Unfortunately I have never mastered the art of communication with others, It is not my intention to be rude or aggressive. I just type it the same way I would say it.

I am not sure what I can do to change that perception at this point.

Cheers

Sorrontis

• Community Guild
Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 08:47:59 pm
stupid little trick

27 downloads, 1 score.

Cheers.

Unfortunately I have never mastered the art of communication with others, It is not my intention to be rude or aggressive. I just type it the same way I would say it.

Cheers

No worries mate. I could care less if you were a little aggressive, as long you weren't insulting. :D

Doug

Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 08:53:53 pm
10 Ratings (Average 2.9 :o), 3 Completed Plays.  ??? Either people don't like this map, or people really don't like this map.  :-\

Some of my favorite maps in good ol CW3 were the ones I tried to beat dozens and dozens of times. There is quite a bit of satisfaction in figuring out that one trick to beat a map. Equally impressive if you manage to stump so many people!

chwooly

Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 09:07:58 pm
stupid little trick

27 downloads, 1 score.

Cheers.

Cheers

No worries mate. I could care less if you were a little aggressive, as long you weren't insulting. :D

Thanks, And just for the record, By stupid little trick I meant some thing that was obvious and I was not smart enough to figure out. But I do see how that comes across rude online.  :o :o

Sorrontis

• Community Guild
Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 09:09:37 pm
(click to show/hide)

Yep, that's how I took it.  ::) ??? :P