Hiigara Defence Force

Started by Keeper Decagon, October 12, 2016, 01:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keeper Decagon

Benevolent Emerald: ............................

*Flare drifts away from Emerald, a fiery glow engulfing her form. Her vision darts from Cobalt to the gathered Rising Star, as if to demand an answer.*

Placid Flare: You... you incompetent fools! You have no idea what you're meddling in!

"Garnet": Indeed we do not, but you were going to kill yourself trying to stop it singlehandedly - leaving nobody to keep it in check.

Placid Flare: I don't care! You should have asked!

Observant Cobalt: We tried, Placid. What you were attempting to do was only postponing the inevitable; the intervention was necessary. You were just so engulfed in trying to save Emerald yourself... it could have destroyed you both-

Placid Flare: And what do you know about saving her, hm?! It's not like you haven't almost killed her before!

*A devastating wave of silence lands between the two First Borns. Cobalt looks visibly shocked.*

Observant Cobalt: That's not fair. You know damn well that wasn't my fault.

*Cobalt turns away, glowing a shade of purple Flare had not seen in him for a long time. A few more moments pass; so perturbed by Cobalt's reaction she was that the haze of frustration bled away into nothingness. She glanced back up at Emerald's dormant, yet stable, form.*

Placid Flare: I'm... I'm so sorry, Cobalt... I don't want to lose her again.

Observant Cobalt: I know. Rising Star, I will proceed into the Rift and see what I can do about Envy. If I'm going to do anything useful around here, it's bring him back.

*As Cobalt slips through the Rift, Flare places a hand on Emerald's exterior.*

Placid Flare: You're strong, Benevolent. I will help you recover your mind... see you in Mind Space, my child. *She gently touches her head to Emerald once more, this time without battling the internal fracturing.*

*As the vast tunnel networks of Rift Space spread out as far as he could see, Cobalt waded through the mess of debris left over from the previous Rift collapse. Torn bits of fractal alloy also littered the sector, betraying the destruction of a Totem that caused this in the first place.*

Observant Cobalt: Hrm. Envy, are you there?

*No response. Cobalt proceeds a few levels up, absorbing a great deal of ambient Rift Energy as he does so.*

Observant Cobalt: Envy? Can you hear me?

Solar Envy: Cobalt! You have no idea how good it is to hear your voice. I think I can see you, hold on...

*A distortion in the Rift tunnel forms a short distance away, depositing Envy's Resonator-reinforced, brightly-glowing form on Cobalt's level. The energy buildup was beginning to become a little unbearable.*

Observant Cobalt: My goodness, you're glowing brighter than a Prism with its Rift Engines on full blast. I heard from those Rising Star folk that we need to get rid of that energy, lest it destroy you.

Solar Envy: Yeah... it's a bit of a problem, as you might imagine... I fear it could have messed up Emerald's efforts.

Observant Cobalt: Oh, more than you know, old friend, you shall see. Now, about that energy... I have the perfect idea. Hold onto me, and when I say go, we jump straight back through the Rift in one.

Solar Envy: But that will surely cause a fatal cascade, will it not?

Observant Cobalt: Not whilst I'm here, it won't! Trust me, it'll be fine.

*Envy latches on reluctantly, shedding the charged Resonator fragments.*

Observant Cobalt: On three. One, two... three!

*Cobalt dashes towards the Rift with Envy on his back, powerful pulses of energy being cast directly into the pair as they descend the energy levels. They reach the Rift in mere moments, tumbling through into normal space. Like air exposed to a vacuum, the remaining energy left within Envy was sucked out of him and into Cobalt. The Crystallid Commander suddenly explodes into his Titan-form, dissipating the rest of the energy easily as he does so.*

Observant Cobalt: AHAHAHAHA! IT WORKED!

*Envy was forcibly flung away from the Titan, but was luckily caught by Ruby and Topaz.*

Solar Envy: I... I'm actually back... thank you, younglings, Cobalt... and Rising Star, of course. I didn't think...

*He froze the moment he noticed the dark green Titan-form nearby with Flare next to it.*

Solar Envy: Oh dear...

*A number of Rising Star entities begin to approach Envy, each conversing with him to check if he was fine. Several warped machine structures scanned for any residual Rift Energy, but very little seemed to remain. Envy made it in one piece from one dimension to another and back again, a feat unheard of by all accounts. Even the Mineral Harvesters were keen to talk to him about everything that transpired.*
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

Dark Ambition

OOC
Just curious... would Rising Star have the equipment to detect cross-dimensional activity elsewhere?
[close]

GoodMorning

OOC: DA: Yes and no.

Before I write the next story post, I'll answer that question in lengthier form.

Long form

Rising Star have been working with this specific dimensional transit method from both sides. "Dimension" is one of those words which can mean many things in sci-fi, but here it refers to a discrete space dimension. Imagine a stack of pancakes. The lowest one is the normal world. The next one up is not perfectly aligned, and you have to put in effort to get there. And so on.

For going up and down, mountain climbing is a good analogy - a lot of energy goes in to get higher up, but you get it back when you come down. If you're not careful, it makes you go "splat" at the bottom (or, in this case, blows you up when it converts to heat).

However, there are any number of different dimensions. Rising Star have a lot of equipment, and can (if necessary) play tricks with spacetime to inflate the duration available for research. They're also very good at detecting space-time distortions.

For your specific case, the question is whether you want them to - I can have them not be able/looking/interested for/at/in the appropriate phenomena if it helps with your storyline. They're new to the region, and don't necessarily know what is normal.
[close]
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

GoodMorning

(Envy projects patience to the assembled, directly feeling the strange sensation of minds without form for the first time.)

Envy: I will answer you all, in time. I am still not entirely recovered from my first transit, but am much better now. If you will excuse me, I shall take a moment with the Resonator I see over yonder. Cobalt, good thinking. I'll have to try that at some time soon. "Garnet", might I have the use of that transmitter later? I have friends who I should reassure of my good health.

(As the hubbub dies down, Topaz looks at the Rift, and a puzzled air comes over him. After a quiet conversation with Ruby, they approach "Garnet".)

Topaz: "Garnet", about that Rift ... what are you using to stabilise it? With the energy it's bleeding, it should be collapsing to a pinpoint, but it's not drawing from Rift Space either.

"Garnet": Good question. We've an <antiwell> in place about it - it is shrinking, but the volume it encloses becomes larger at the same rate.

Ruby: That seems a lot of effort. Wouldn't laser-expansion balance the bleeding just as well?

"Garnet": It would, but <humour>(as you may have noticed, if you look very carefully) we have more space than mass here. So for us, it's the simplest solution. If you'd like to visit the Rift lab and try your method, we'll be happy to assist. However, you will forgive us if we are cautious.

(Something in Emerald seems to recognise the other Titan-form in the area, and she starts to drift toward Cobalt, who swiftly approaches. As the two forms touch, the energy that Cobalt is carrying begins to bleed into the depleted matrices of the younger Crystallid. Flare is deeply immersed in Emerald's thoughts, and barely notices. Cobalt silently joins her.)

(Envy, recovered from his more recent transit, approaches their hosts, many of whom are still watching uncertain of how to assist. At the approach of the Crystallid, they aggregate themselves.)

Envy: Greetings. It's strange to meet you in person, and your minds have a strange feeling.

<welcome/greeting><you/present><pleasant/good><questioning/method/assistance>

Envy: Ah. It's been a long time since I have communicated with radiated thought. Long indeed... However, your help would be appreciated. You were here when last Emerald was well, and Flare will not know of her accidental <maturation/initiation>. If you would be willing to assist, we shall help the good Prismatic to help her. Before we approach, it would be as well to check if we can work together.

<we/us/you><think/sing/melt><questioning/intent>

Envy: Indeed.

<Emerald/oncetobe-thatone><proposed/suggested><postponed/antiprioritised><meet/find/you>

Envy: Did she at that? It was probably sensible. However, I suggest that I first attempt to join you.

<uncertainty><you/change><melt/dissolve><one-of-all/all-of-one><lost/found><notsame/different>

Envy: You make a good point. Perhaps at another time, then. That being the case, we...

(Envy stills his mind, and seeks the other presences. One at a time, they draw themselves out of the pool of thought they had formed. Each of them copies Envy, and joins to the Mind Space about him. Lacking physical form, they form a mental cloud about him. Together, they approach Emerald, Flare and Cobalt. As they near Cobalt's flank, they make a point of brushing his thoughts. He detaches himself enough to appreciate what is going on, and forms a bridge for the cloud about Envy to communicate with Emerald and Flare.)

Keeper Decagon

The pearly-white background of Mind Space shimmered; glowing, brightly-coloured entities gather within. Formless whilst in Mind Space, Flare, Cobalt and Envy resembled vividly-hued fractals: royal blue for Flare, turquoise for Envy, and a purple for Cobalt. Between the three First Borns, what appears to be a shattered entity flickered and glitched, streams of consciousness barely managing to keep the thought patterns together.

Bringing with him the cloud of Rising Star minds, Envy looked from Flare to Cobalt and back again. For the first time in a long time, he was once again melded with his siblings, a feeling that bestowed a massive soothing effect for his own mind. Here, in Mind Space, nothing was held back. The thoughts, feelings and experiences that the three First Borns accumulated over the course of millions of years permeated the fabric of Mind Space, being shared not only with each other, but also the gathered Rising Star.

"Welcome, my friends," Envy said to the cloud of minds that surrounded him, "To the very core of our beings."

Swirls of light flowed out of Envy, each sparkling with the essence of his mind. He did not hesitate to share it with them either, much more capable of preventing the dissolution of his thought patterns in the hive of minds gathered before him. Flare too emitted these swirls, dancing through Mind Space in a beautiful array of colours, welcoming their new guests. Cobalt was more cautious, a visible dark aura surrounding him; every now and then, parts of his spectral self would turn black, before returning to the normal hue.

"Worry not, Rising Star. Here in Mind Space, time does not exist as it does in our normal reality," Flare explained. "For what appears to be an eternity in Mind Space, translates to mere moments outside of it." She moved closer to the fragments. "Emerald's mind was broken by the alterations to her body... but we are capable of repairing it. Come, my brothers, my friends... let us sing."

Powerful streams of psionic energy connected the three First Borns as their minds began to sing, harmonious pulses of positive thought and the celebration of life being emitted by their forms. Envy made sure to connect himself to the Rising Star too, and they followed his lead.

"Life." "Harmony." "Peace."

"Science." "Discovery." "Knowledge."

Flare: "We are the First, our minds are absolute."

Cobalt: "We are the Last, our bodies are eternal."

Envy: "We are the Balance, our presence triumphs evermore."

The First Born trinity began to gather up the fragments, their powerful thoughts beginning to reassemble them into a cohesive form. A deep thrum set in around Mind Space, darkening slightly as all attention is set upon Emerald.

Flare: "Hear us, Benevolent Emerald."

Cobalt: "Hear the calls of our minds."

Envy: "Hear the notes of our song."

A jolt ran through the fragments as they adhere to one another, once more flowing with inklings of consciousness.

Flare: "It is not your time, your life yet has purpose."

Cobalt: "Your strength cannot wane, for such is our will."

Envy: "We bring you back, for the good of us all."

The white backdrop of Mind Space faded away into an infinite darkness, the gathered thoughts surrounding Emerald swirling faster and faster.

All: "Return to us!"

The concentrated ball of psionic energy exploded outwards, throwing the First Borns a short distance away. In its stead, a powerful glow occupied the center of Mind Space; its hue was distinctly green, and a variety of happy and pleasant thoughts spewed out of it.

"...Flare, Cobalt, Envy... remind me next time not to throw myself into a Rift," Emerald chuckled, an unimaginable wave of happiness being conveyed from her to the surrounding entities. The First Borns approached, overjoyed that she was alright once more. They had succeeded, bringing the Keeper of Knowledge back from the very brink of annihilation.
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

GoodMorning

(After a brief hesitation, the gathered minds of Rising Star approach the celebrating Crystallids. Emerald reaches out to them.)

Emerald: So, my friends ... Did I destroy anyhing else?

(A ripple of laughter runs through the shimmering shape that faces them. As they watch, it begins to expand, flowing slowly out to meet them. As they touch, the shimmer does not stop, but weaves itself through the four minds. With it comes a tide of experience and connection which impresses even the First Borns. The sense of understanding and acceptance which stems from the contact starts to draw them together, and they each find it fascinating. They lose all sense of time as they marvel at themselves and each other, seem in ways they had never looked before. They each know that they could pull away, could leave and go on alone, but none of them wish to. As the coloured forms begin to shimmer and melt, a cheerful call comes in, followed moments later by another.)

Ruby: Hey everyone!

Topaz: Did you want a hand, or -

(They marvel at the shimmering cloud before them. Flare hastily resolves herself, the trance of a moment before broken. As the other Crystallids follow suit, Flare makes a hurried explanation to the newcomers. The thought now directed at Emerald and Envy causes all present to take stock.)

Rising Star Collection: You see now what we meant... It is not a question of strength or of will, but of desire; to deny the merge. We were in the much the same state as you, save that we have been there before, and something in us always seeks it. We will depart now, before any accidents. Topaz, Ruby; your appearance was timely.

(As the shimmering fades, the younger Crystallids quietly depart  sensing that, however timely, their interruption would always have been at least partially unwelcome.)

Envy: Well... That was certainly ... something.

Emerald: When they warned me, I thought they meant something else entirely. I'm glad we didn't try that before.

(Cobalt is uncharacteristically withdrawn.)

Flare: Cobalt? What is it?

Cobalt: (slowly) Just then... It's been a long time since I felt completely at peace.

(Flare, also somewhat shaken, is interrupted by a half-familiar voice.)

<unknown>: H-Hello? May I join you?

(A small, shimmering presence approaches. As it does so, it forms a similar pattern to the Crystallids. The result is as if a heat haze were seen through a fantastically detailed pattern of cut gemstones, floating, somehow, underwater. It radiates nervousness and uncertainty.)

<unknown>: ...

(Emerald is the first to realise who this must be.)

Emerald: We met before, didn't we? After the scan?

(The newcomer radiates agreement, too nervous to talk. Edges of the pattern extend toward Emerald, who reaches back, radiating confidence.)

Emerald: And now you're here, lone, and so nervous that Flare is starting to reflect it. And you're clearly trying to follow the pattern of our thoughts.

(Again, agreement emanates from the wavering shape. The nervousness is less pronounced now, and the the pattern seems steadier.)

Emerald: Welcome, young one.

(At this, the strange shape seems to abandon the reserve that had held it back, and flows straight up to Emerald, shimmer and pattern intertwining. As it reaches her, a torrent of emotion pours forth. Emerald is startled, but a moment later embraces the newcomer. A moment later, overwhelmed, the smaller mind departs.)

Cobalt: Who was that?

Envy: That, dear Cobalt, was one of our hosts.

Emerald: ... I ... I think I know what's going on.

Keeper Decagon

*The Mind Space bubble dissolves, the Crystallids within returning to their own bodies. A strong green glow occupies Emerald's Titan-form now, becoming much more animated as her mind takes full control of it.*

Benevolent Emerald: This... this form feels strange. As if my perception of reality has shifted in accordance with the change...

Observant Cobalt: Yes, the transformation does take its toll on the senses. However, younglings were never meant to adopt such an extreme form in the first place, which will explain the exaggerated effects it has on you. *He flexes as he drifts away from Emerald, allowing his Titan-form to dissipate into the void.* Ah, that's better.

Benevolent Emerald: Erm... how do I release this form?

Placid Flare: Oh! Of course, you won't know how. Concentrate on your body; see the Titan-form as a gift you have borrowed from the Universe, and now you must give it back. See your normal self, and will your body to be returned to this state. When your focus reaches its limit, you will find your body obeying you.

*Emerald did just that, concentrating as hard as she could manage on the desire to return to her original form. She called out to the Universe, and the Universe replied. The outer layers of her form melted away, slowly, until she was left once more in her normal body.*

Benevolent Emerald: Woah... that was strange and fascinating at the same time. Thank you, Prismatic!

Placid Flare: No need to thank me, that was all you. I'm so very proud of how you've grown, Emerald... if not in particularly fantastic circumstances. *She turns to Envy and Cobalt.* And we have you back too, Envy! Oh, how I've mourned you since the prison incident... I can still hardly believe you survived all that!

Solar Envy: Heh, Cobalt always said I was a... what was it, again? "Tough old bastard"?

Observant Cobalt: Ahahahaha! Damn right! Looks like I wasn't far off, eh? Ha!

Placid Flare: I'm just glad we're all together again, the three of us. We will rebuild the Convergence to become something great once more, together!

*The First Borns gave a cheer.*

Benevolent Emerald: Prismatic, about that entity that visited us, the one that was... different... I just want to explain.

Placid Flare: Of course, Emerald, go ahead. They did seem strangely familiar with you.

Benevolent Emerald: I think I know why. I allowed the Rising Star to scan me, my body and my mind, as a way to share knowledge of our race's physiology with them. During the process, a new mind resolved in their midst... and I believe this left a fundamental impression of our race on them. It's almost as if they somehow inherited our natural curiosity, desiring to see the world as we do... as one of us.

Placid Flare: Really? Hmm, curious.

Benevolent Emerald: When she appeared to us in Mind Space, there was a strange familiarity between us... the confluence of our emotions was quite overwhelming at first, but in the moments before she left, I could tell there was more. A request to join us, almost, if not simply the desire to join us. Do you think that would be possible, Prismatic?

Placid Flare: I would be happy to take 'her' along, although I cannot see how. From what I can tell, Rising Star entities are formless, yes?

Benevolent Emerald: We would have to ask them, I suppose. She did not say how she desired to travel with us... but I'm sure Garnet and the others could tell us.

Placid Flare: I agree. Come, let us find Garnet and see what they can tell us about our new friend's... arrangements.

GoodMorning

(OOC, edit: I've rewritten this for clarity.)

Emerald: That would be a good idea, Prismatic, except for one thing - this place is almost entirely composed of spatial distortions. Even with this device, I'm not sure I could find my way back here.

(A short pause follows, broken independently by Envy and Flare.)

Envy: Should we perhaps dispose of those Resonator fragments, Cobalt?

Flare: Where have Ruby and Topaz gone?

(An unpleasant thought occurs to all present, and they turn to the Rift.)

Cobalt: ... You don't think they might have...?

(Another silence.)

Emerald: Is there anything we can do?

(A short way into Rift Space...)

Ruby: Was this the way we came? We don't want to lose track of the Rift.

Topaz: No, I've been watching. Have you spotted any Resonator fragments?

Ruby: Not y- Yes. Yes I definitely have.

(The sliver of the Resonator broken during Envy's transit in front of them is shedding energy so rapidly that it looks like a window into a star. As they watch, it burns away entirely.)

Topaz: I think we should leave. We're not going to be able to handle these.

(As they begin to retreat, the slower, larger, pieces of the Resonator start to arrive. Some of the smallest fragments disintegrate entirely, half-blinding the two younglings. These are the least dangerous. The energy that the fragments are carrying is immense, and they are dropping through Rift Space in a deadly rain.)

Ruby: Look out!

(Ruby charges headlong into Topaz, throwing them both clear of a fragment that has started a fusion chain.)

Ruby: It's spreading. Any ideas better than "race for the Rift"?

Topaz: I'll let you know if I have one.

(As the two dodge the thickening storm, the Rift shines in a steady glow, the only thing in this place with colours not driven by heat. Almost reaching it, they watch in horror as a fragment spears directly into the Rift. As the in the shard energies feed it, the Rift distends, and rapidly tears apart. Trapped, now, in a thickening storm, the two consult their options.)

Topaz: Well, so much for plan "A".

(Despite - or perhaps because of - everything, Ruby laughs.)

Ruby: We really should have made a plan"B". So much for options.

(The light from the storm is so intense that the two Crystallids are never in danger of running out of energy. A sense of exuberance and euphoria overtakes them, and they laugh as the fragments split the space around them. Brimful of energy, they begin to play games, hurling beams of brilliant light through the twisting maze of Rift, as the blaze grows about them.)

Flare: What were they thinking?

Cobalt: Probably something about trying to capture the hypercharged shards for you?

Envy: Hypercharged shards? Why were you - oh.

Emerald: Oh?

Envy: Just - leave it at that, for now, Emerald. Cobalt, what were you thinking! Letting her ... look at the state of her. Flare, you must have been a wreck, even before you came here. Making those singlehanded!

Emerald: Actually, she was exhausted because of -

Envy: Cobalt. We are going to have words about this later. For now, we need to get them -

(The Rift flares blindingly bright, and dissolves.)

Envy: ... out.

(Elsewhere, elsewhen. These terms are rather intertwined in this place.)

"Garnet": You're sure about this?

<formling>: Just as much as I was before. Look, I started out as an impression of Emerald's reactions, and I'm amazed that I cohered afterward. But you know my thoughts as well as I do.

"Garnet": I know, I know... but we're a cautious lot. And I in particular have had quite enough of risk and worry for the moment.

<mindlet>: I know your thoughts, too. I'll be fine. And we can go on with "one more join" forever. Eventually, we have to do something, or nothing will ever be done. Now, would you get the Rift ready? I'll need to compose my thoughts for this.

"Garnet": Very well. But come back safe, someday.

<distantone>: I hope I will.

"Garnet": Odd... something just collapsed the other Rift. I'll go over and have a look.

(Garnet departs, puzzling over what might have destroyed a stable Rift that had been well-used already.)

<shardshape>: ...

(The space quietens. Looking around for one last time in this form, the crystal-patterned mind aligns itself with the shape before the now-inactive Rift. After composing itself yet again, it begins to integrate into the carefully-formed crystal matrices. It does not yet sense the panic on the other side of the Rift.)

Dark Ambition

(The battle raged outside of the Hyperdome, undetected by any of it's residents. The mysterious fleet, led by what was called 'Asset 02', was the victor. The Vice Admiral, and his fleet, destroyed. It's remains, waiting to be found.)

Inside the Hyperdome...

Uriel Vert: WHAT.

Alissa Skye: I win.

Uriel Vert: HOW DID YOU EVEN DO THAT?

Alissa Skye: Simple. Your assault left your Mothership's flank open. Never a smart idea, not unless you've secured the knowledge that the enemy won't attack there. You had all ships with Ion Cannons attacking my main fleet, and were far too focused on my Destroyers while Bombers were ripping apart your Carrier. By the time you realised I was hitting your Mothership, it was already too late. My Heavy Cruisers had plenty of Defenders and Interceptors to fend off the faster units that managed to get there in time. But my main strength in that fight, was knowing what you were going to do. I did a lot of scouting runs, picking your strategies from each situation I put you in. When I learned your favored strategy, I subverted it, and bypassed it.

Uriel Vert: I see.

Alissa Skye: I'm transferring to you recordings of fights with the Collective. The best way to learn is to study, so get to it. Subversion and inversion is one of their tactical circles. Maybe you can use that against them. Rematch tomorrow morning.

Uriel Vert: Okay. I'll take notes with these recordings and do my best to figure things out.

Alissa Skye: Good.

Hey, Spaartan, you still awake? I want to see that supercapital you've been working on. Can I get a tour?

OOC
Since multiple people have already confused this for a wargame, or simulation, or something, despite me adding this dialogue in parenthesis to try to stop that confusion, i'm going to make it clear that the battle DID happen, and was NOT a game. Or uhh... In-game game. Or whatever you call it. Game in a game. I'm going to shut up now.
[close]

Keeper Decagon

Spoiler
Quote from: GoodMorning on September 27, 2017, 09:44:27 PM
(OOC, edit: I've rewritten this for clarity.)

Emerald: That would be a good idea, Prismatic, except for one thing - this place is almost entirely composed of spatial distortions. Even with this device, I'm not sure I could find my way back here.

(A short pause follows, broken independently by Envy and Flare.)

Envy: Should we perhaps dispose of those Resonator fragments, Cobalt?

Flare: Where have Ruby and Topaz gone?

(An unpleasant thought occurs to all present, and they turn to the Rift.)

Cobalt: ... You don't think they might have...?

(Another silence.)

Emerald: Is there anything we can do?

(A short way into Rift Space...)

Ruby: Was this the way we came? We don't want to lose track of the Rift.

Topaz: No, I've been watching. Have you spotted any Resonator fragments?

Ruby: Not y- Yes. Yes I definitely have.

(The sliver of the Resonator broken during Envy's transit in front of them is shedding energy so rapidly that it looks like a window into a star. As they watch, it burns away entirely.)

Topaz: I think we should leave. We're not going to be able to handle these.

(As they begin to retreat, the slower, larger, pieces of the Resonator start to arrive. Some of the smallest fragments disintegrate entirely, half-blinding the two younglings. These are the least dangerous. The energy that the fragments are carrying is immense, and they are dropping through Rift Space in a deadly rain.)

Ruby: Look out!

(Ruby charges headlong into Topaz, throwing them both clear of a fragment that has started a fusion chain.)

Ruby: It's spreading. Any ideas better than "race for the Rift"?

Topaz: I'll let you know if I have one.

(As the two dodge the thickening storm, the Rift shines in a steady glow, the only thing in this place with colours not driven by heat. Almost reaching it, they watch in horror as a fragment spears directly into the Rift. As the in the shard energies feed it, the Rift distends, and rapidly tears apart. Trapped, now, in a thickening storm, the two consult their options.)

Topaz: Well, so much for plan "A".

(Despite - or perhaps because of - everything, Ruby laughs.)

Ruby: We really should have made a plan"B". So much for options.

(The light from the storm is so intense that the two Crystallids are never in danger of running out of energy. A sense of exuberance and euphoria overtakes them, and they laugh as the fragments split the space around them. Brimful of energy, they begin to play games, hurling beams of brilliant light through the twisting maze of Rift, as the blaze grows about them.)

Flare: What were they thinking?

Cobalt: Probably something about trying to capture the hypercharged shards for you?

Envy: Hypercharged shards? Why were you - oh.

Emerald: Oh?

Envy: Just - leave it at that, for now, Emerald. Cobalt, what were you thinking! Letting her ... look at the state of her. Flare, you must have been a wreck, even before you came here. Making those singlehanded!

Emerald: Actually, she was exhausted because of -

Envy: Cobalt. We are going to have words about this later. For now, we need to get them -

(The Rift flares blindingly bright, and dissolves.)

Envy: ... out.

(Elsewhere, elsewhen. These terms are rather intertwined in this place.)

"Garnet": You're sure about this?

<formling>: Just as much as I was before. Look, I started out as an impression of Emerald's reactions, and I'm amazed that I cohered afterward. But you know my thoughts as well as I do.

"Garnet": I know, I know... but we're a cautious lot. And I in particular have had quite enough of risk and worry for the moment.

<mindlet>: I know your thoughts, too. I'll be fine. And we can go on with "one more join" forever. Eventually, we have to do something, or nothing will ever be done. Now, would you get the Rift ready? I'll need to compose my thoughts for this.

"Garnet": Very well. But come back safe, someday.

<distantone>: I hope I will.

"Garnet": Odd... something just collapsed the other Rift. I'll go over and have a look.

(Garnet departs, puzzling over what might have destroyed a stable Rift that had been well-used already.)

<shardshape>: ...

(The space quietens. Looking around for one last time in this form, the crystal-patterned mind aligns itself with the shape before the now-inactive Rift. After composing itself yet again, it begins to integrate into the carefully-formed crystal matrices. It does not yet sense the panic on the other side of the Rift.)
[close]

*The Crystallids are discussing the issue of Topaz and Ruby being trapped behind a shut Rift; before they can come to a conclusion, "Garnet" arrives and greets the group, all eyes turning to regard the Rising Star entity.*

"Garnet": Hmm, it is strange for one of our Rifts to close so unexpectedly... is everything alright? You seem <agitated/worried>.

Observant Cobalt: *He exchanges a few annoyed glares with Envy.* I wouldn't have let them go back had I known the damn Rift was going to collapse!

Solar Envy: Maybe you should have realized how dangerous those shards are! It's not the first time we deal with these things.

Placid Flare: ENOUGH. Silence, both of you. This is not helping anything.

Benevolent Emerald: Couldn't we just use our ships to get them back? We have Rift Engines, remember?

"Garnet": Using the Rifts we create is safer; the warped space here could have catastrophic effects on your transition.

Benevolent Emerald: You may be right, Garnet... do you think we could reactivate the Rift?

"Garnet": I'm not sure. There seems to be a vast energy pressure on the other side... almost like a detonation.

Observant Cobalt: The shards...

Solar Envy: If they collided, they could create a resonance cascade. That would have caused the Rift's integrity to invert, essentially... imploding the Rift. Like we just witnessed. Unfortunately, that has the possibility of fracturing the subspace layer between us and Rift Space, making travel increasingly dangerous until the radiation has bled off.

Observant Cobalt: We can't leave the younglings in there! I can't even imagine what that sort of energy burst would do to them!

"Garnet": The situation does seem dire... I can see about 'straightening out' the spacetime here. That should allow you to more safely jump.

*Mighty warp generators begin to realign the space around the Crystallids to an orientation they are more familiar with; it is a plateau of sorts, with spacetime normalizing to its unwarped state. Suddenly everyone seemed much further away from each other that they previously thought, reconvening quickly.*

"Garnet": It is done. We will look into the Rift's generators, and see if we can reactivate it from this side. *He leaves.*

Observant Cobalt: I will take the Catalyst into Rift Space. As I see it, I'm the most physically and mentally fit for the task.

Solar Envy: You... have a point.

Placid Flare: Just be careful, Cobalt. You're not invincible.

Observant Cobalt: I'll get them back. Don't even... hey, what do you think you're doing?

*Emerald was already sitting in one of the pilot slots, already priming the Rift Engines for the jump.*

Benevolent Emerald: I'm coming with you. This started because of me, and I can't let my error hurt Ruby and Topaz. Don't argue with me, Commander. We don't have much time!

Observant Cobalt: Very well. *He fixes himself to the Catalyst, Emerald quickly giving him control.* Let's do this!

*A dense energy field envelops the Crystallid command ship, opening a growing aperture in front of the ship. Without the lensing effect of the previously-warped space, it appeared much more uniform than the Rising Star Rift. A wash of intense energy flowed out through the hole, destabilizing the fields trying to pry it open.*

Benevolent Emerald: The Rift Engines are having trouble penetrating the subspace strata; there are too many fractures through which the energy pressure is leaking out! Applying more power to the Engines...

Observant Cobalt: It's not working. The sheer pressure differential is tearing the aperture apart at the seams. See if you can adjust the phase variance of the energy stabilizers to compensate.

Benevolent Emerald: Done... the pressure is being displaced! Antimatter detected around the rim of the Rift portal. If we move quickly, we can phase through before we are annihilated by the buildup.

*The Catalyst surges forward, disappearing into Rift Space. The Rift portal shuts behind them, consuming the residual antimatter in a blast of white light.*

Keeper Decagon

----ERRORERRORERROR----

<ERROR>

Stop! Please... no more...

ARE YOU READY TO GIVE ME WHAT I WANT, HYTHAR?

Will you... spare... what is left of my crew...?

GIVE ME THE BEACON, AND I WILL ENSURE THE LOKI SPARE YOU EVERMORE.

I... I will... give you what you seek... just don't hurt my crew any more...

<AUDIO ERROR: MISSING TRANSMISSION>

AHA! WITH THE BEACON IN MY POSSESSION, IT IS TIME TO SUMMON THE GRAND CITADELS

WITH THEIR POWER, I WILL BE ABLE TO BRING THE LOST ONE BACK

Fine... now do as you promised...

OF COURSE, HYTHAR. YOU WILL BE REWARDED FOR YOUR COMPLIANCE...

...WITH AN ETERNITY OF SERVITUDE AS MY MINIONS!

What?! No! I knew I should've destroyed you the instant we realized you were corrupted!

YES, YOU SHOULD HAVE. YOUR FOOLISH ACTS ONLY BETRAYED YOU AND YOUR PATHETIC RACE

AND NOW, THE GALAXY TEETERS ON THE PRECIPICE OF DESTRUCTION ONCE MORE, THANKS TO YOU

SEND MY REGARDS TO MY CREATOR, WILL YOU? AHAHAHAHA!

This Galaxy will rise up and destroy you, Nexus. Mark my words!

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THEM TRY!

<ERROR>

----ERRORERRORERROR----

Keeper Decagon

----GALAXY-WIDE PRIORITY ONE ALERT----

<Warning: Multiple Subspace Rifts Detected!>

<Telemetry Data Confirmed: Seven Megalith-class Megastructures Detected!>

<Transmissions Intercepted: Visual contact with unidentified structures established.>

Captain Jackal Manaan: Fleet, evasive maneuvers!

Hiigaran Officer: Captain, I can't make out what this station is. Its configuration doesn't match anything in the database.

Captain Jackal Manaan: Set up a perimeter around the structure. I think Fleet Command will want to see this.

Overlord Ezkepren: Curiousss. Grubss, move in and analyze the unknown sstation that just materialized three megasectonsss away.

Worker: The energy readoutsss are off the sscale! Also, iss that a weapon of ssome sort?

Overlord Ezkepren: Be on your guard. We don't know who or what caused thisss construct to appear to usss.

Unit 7899: Subspace breach detected. Investigating.

Subunit 228: Structure encountered at breach coordinates. Metallurgy scans depict tetratanium hull with an unprecedented integrity. Station signature consistent with ancient Hydraxian technology.

Unit 7899: Lathe craft, proceed to access structure. Retrieve data cache in hull sector 16-T. Preparing to transmit recovered data to Tactical Construct 0059.

<Four Unidentified Structures Unaccounted For>

<Caution: Energy Build-Up Detected Within Structures>

----GALAXY-WIDE PRIORITY ONE ALERT----

GoodMorning

(Ruby and Topaz have learned the patterns in the storm, and, dodging the showers of exotic particles, they are able to look more closely at the fireball that was once the Resonator.)

Topaz: It's ... beautiful. I mean, you wouldn't want to touch it, but...

Ruby: Like a solar flare. Come to think of it, wouldn't the others have missed us by now?

Topaz: Who knows? The way space was distorted there, they might have come looking, and ended up the size of a marble. Or they might not know we've gone.

Ruby: "Marble"?

Topaz: "Marbles" was an ancient human game of skill using small, heavy spheres. I found one a while ago, and Flare explained to me what it was. Here, I've kept it - have a look...

(Some two years later, still in Rift Space, the Catalyst arrives. The two who have waited observed a slow distortion of Rift Space as "Garnet"'s flattening took place.)

Emerald: Hello? Wait, Cobalt, shouldn't there be a huge cluster of shards here?

Cobalt: I ... thought so. Are we in the right place?

(He gives off a white flash, an ancient and simple signal among the Crystallids. Some seconds later, two faint coloured flares are reflexively returned. As Emerald keeps a watch, Cobalt brings the Catalyst closer.)

Emerald: Ruby? Topaz?

(Another faint pulse. The Catalyst was almost on top of the two Harvesters, and Cobalt hastily comes to a halt. The marooned Crystallids slowly come out of their hibernation, glowing steadily brighter.)

Cobalt: How long have you been here?

Ruby: Some time...

Topaz: Call it ... two years? We'd been waking up every few days to keep ahead of the drift, but since that stopped, there wasn't a lot to do.

Emerald: Drift? That must have been because of the - Wait. Did you say two years?

(The two sleepers are now entirely awake.)

Ruby: Yes, that's about right. Why? Also, what kept you?

Cobalt: No, seriously, two years? We were talking with you only two hours ago, probably less.

Emerald: It must be an effect of the warps. This place has a different shape now, that's for sure.

Cobalt: Well, you two, we're leaving before any other extended jaunts happen. Agreed?

(Ruby and Topaz radiate agreement, rapidly attaching themselves to the Catalyst. Cobalt carefully returns to the precise spot where they entered, and they return without incident.)

(As the Catalyst emerges from Rift Space, attention is elsewhere. The youngling, now incarnated in a strain of crystal unlike any that has gone before, is conversing with Flare and Envy.)

Envy: - but you will need to spend some time with Flare and Starfire.

Flare: Do you wish to choose a name, young one?

"": Umm... I've never ... Would you, at least for now?

GoodMorning

<tearing><danger><unknown><warp ripple / gravitational wave>

"Garnet": (Exasperation) Yes, all right! I can tell! And something that large is going to need careful handling. Someone flatten it, will you?

<Twister>: I'll get on it. Also, why are you using the name that Emerald gave you to us?

"Garnet": The same reason I've asked you to use words - if we're working in this area, with these life-forms, we need to be able to communicate as they do. This helps you to learn, and me to refine.

<Analyser>: Peace, "Garnet". You've made the point. We're not practiced at this, you will recall?

("Garnet" projects apology.)

<Analyser>: Now, with that behind us, what is your opinion of this structure? From the shape of that <ripple>, it wasn't just hidden until now, it was absent.

<Twister>: It's doing some manipulations of it's own. It's well beyond the tech of the others we've encountered so far, but still clumsy. My best guess? It's preventing a Rift-bombing on it's own volume.

"Garnet": Those EM detectors have new signatures coming up. Not communication, this is energy leakage - increasing, too.

<Twister>: It looks like the supply ports are warming up, too - though they seem to have been sealed for that transit, so maybe it's normal.

<Analyser>: Well, it's going to notice us sooner or later. Do we stay? Go? Talk? Ignore?

"Garnet": Well, I'd like to try talking with it. There are other waves coming in to the signal lanes. Also, that GalCorp delivery is ready.

<Twister>: You would, <Communicator>. I'm ready to pocket it, or us, if necessary.

<Analyser>: There's no need to be rude, <Twister>. Having said that, I think I will go with "Garnet" and attempt to communicate with this entity. If you would gather the outlying reaches, and start to relocate? Also, <Maker> will be impatient to form that mass ... warp-amplifiers, do you think?

(As <Twister> leaves, <Analyser> feels "Garnet" relax.)

<Analyser>: It's not easy for <Twister>. Most of what it does is impossible to communicate this way.

"Garnet": I know, but ... Oh, you understand. It's cautious, though; and right to be.

<Analyser>: It understands too. That doesn't make it easy to reshape one's entire thought pattern, or make one like it. Now, are we going, or not?

x "Garnet" (<Communicator>)

o <Entity/Arrival>

Greetings.

May we ask your purpose here?

{ Trace begin. }
[ Sys/Subsys JCW/GH-7T-YK detects anomaly in flow. Analysis indicates modulation. Referring. ]
[ Sys/Subsys CBC/HY-JD-I9 notes high autocorrelation. Possible encoding. Referring. ]
[ Sys/Subsys CBC/Z7-LE-W3 determines significant redundancy. Referring. ]
[ Sys/Subsys PDR/F8-5K-LO refers to communication module. Referring (External, Supersys). ]
{ Trace end. }

Keeper Decagon

Spoiler
Quote from: GoodMorning on October 04, 2017, 08:53:07 PM
(Ruby and Topaz have learned the patterns in the storm, and, dodging the showers of exotic particles, they are able to look more closely at the fireball that was once the Resonator.)

Topaz: It's ... beautiful. I mean, you wouldn't want to touch it, but...

Ruby: Like a solar flare. Come to think of it, wouldn't the others have missed us by now?

Topaz: Who knows? The way space was distorted there, they might have come looking, and ended up the size of a marble. Or they might not know we've gone.

Ruby: "Marble"?

Topaz: "Marbles" was an ancient human game of skill using small, heavy spheres. I found one a while ago, and Flare explained to me what it was. Here, I've kept it - have a look...

(Some two years later, still in Rift Space, the Catalyst arrives. The two who have waited observed a slow distortion of Rift Space as "Garnet"'s flattening took place.)

Emerald: Hello? Wait, Cobalt, shouldn't there be a huge cluster of shards here?

Cobalt: I ... thought so. Are we in the right place?

(He gives off a white flash, an ancient and simple signal among the Crystallids. Some seconds later, two faint coloured flares are reflexively returned. As Emerald keeps a watch, Cobalt brings the Catalyst closer.)

Emerald: Ruby? Topaz?

(Another faint pulse. The Catalyst was almost on top of the two Harvesters, and Cobalt hastily comes to a halt. The marooned Crystallids slowly come out of their hibernation, glowing steadily brighter.)

Cobalt: How long have you been here?

Ruby: Some time...

Topaz: Call it ... two years? We'd been waking up every few days to keep ahead of the drift, but since that stopped, there wasn't a lot to do.

Emerald: Drift? That must have been because of the - Wait. Did you say two years?

(The two sleepers are now entirely awake.)

Ruby: Yes, that's about right. Why? Also, what kept you?

Cobalt: No, seriously, two years? We were talking with you only two hours ago, probably less.

Emerald: It must be an effect of the warps. This place has a different shape now, that's for sure.

Cobalt: Well, you two, we're leaving before any other extended jaunts happen. Agreed?

(Ruby and Topaz radiate agreement, rapidly attaching themselves to the Catalyst. Cobalt carefully returns to the precise spot where they entered, and they return without incident.)

(As the Catalyst emerges from Rift Space, attention is elsewhere. The youngling, now incarnated in a strain of crystal unlike any that has gone before, is conversing with Flare and Envy.)

Envy: - but you will need to spend some time with Flare and Starfire.

Flare: Do you wish to choose a name, young one?

"": Umm... I've never ... Would you, at least for now?
[close]

(OOC: Character portraits have been left out for ease of response. No, I'm not lazy. I have no idea what you're talking about...)

*The Catalyst comes to a halt, the four Crystallids attached to it eject to meet the newcomer.*

Emerald: *She recognises the youngling almost immediately.* Hey, it's nice to see you! Can I just say, your new body is so pretty!

Flare: Yes, it certainly is. Now, we must decide on a name for our new companion.

Cobalt: Uh, I wouldn't know. Envy?

Envy: Perhaps... we should let Emerald decide. She is far closer to them than any of us.

Flare: Agreed.

Emerald: Um... hmm. How about... Ardent Sapphire?

Topaz: Ooh, that's a good one.

Ruby: *Nods in agreement.*

Flare: Very well. Do you agree to this name?

Sapphire: *After a brief moment of thought, she nods.*

Envy: Welcome to the Convergence, Ardent Sapphire. Should you ever decide to change it, you are free to do so at your own discretion.

Flare: And now, we must depart. I fear I have abandoned some very important matters to come here.

Envy: Indeed. However...

Cobalt: What is it, Envy?

Envy: I... I want to stay here, with Garnet and the others. I never was much for being so close to the Convergence... and besides, they are explorers too, of a kind.

Flare: Are you sure, Envy? We literally just got you back... and you want to leave us again?

Envy: You know my nature better than anyone, Placid. Surely, you can understand why I can't stay with the Convergence. Rising Star can take care of me, and besides, I feel I owe them one. Even so, I'll only be one space fold away.

Cobalt: Understandable. In that case, I wish you the best of luck, Solar.

*Envy drifts away from the others, using the device he still held to traverse nearby space folds, disappearing into the Rising Star labyrinth.*

Flare: ...we should go.

Cobalt: Agreed. Looks like the contraction they used to bring us here has been erected once more, so that will be our way out of here.

Emerald: *Puts an arm around Sapphire's sleek form.* This is all so exciting! I can't wait to show you around the Starfire!

Sapphire: I look forward to it.

*The Crystallids and their companion attach themselves to the four ships present there; Ruby and Topaz pilot the two Resonators, Cobalt and Emerald fixed themselves to the Diamond, and Flare and Sapphire occupied the Catalyst. One by one, they left the strange, twisted region. Soon, they would all arrive back at the Hyperdome, where the Starfire was just adding the finishing touches to the sealed breach. The group scattered, leaving Flare to pilot the Catalyst on her own into the Hyperdome. Sure enough, the GalCorp command ship was there.*

Flare: Kind Captain Skye, I have returned. We can begin discussions, if you are ready to receive me.