Hiigara Defence Force

Started by Keeper Decagon, October 12, 2016, 01:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: GoodMorning on October 15, 2017, 08:37:09 PM
OOC

I do hope I'm not intruding too much upon what seems to be a carefully-planned arc.

Also, the discontinuities will cause some rather impressive light-rimmed "cracks" to spread out form the rupture point. Narrative loves a light show.
[close]

OOC
Hehe, nah you're not intruding too much! I kinda figured Rising Star would be the only ones to detect the beam convergence anomaly, and the ramifications of the result. I do have an actual map planned for the Trinity Guardians as they attempt to regain contact with the Convergence, but after that do as you will.

And yes, narrative light shows are great. :P
[close]
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

cpaca

Nobody's said anything, so I guess I should send out some mail. 
Also, this might pose a challenge later based upon the amount of details i've left out 

Mail: 
No new mail. 
Send mail: 
To: Falcon Renegades, Crystallid Convergence [Flare, Cobalt, Attempted contact: Emerald], Rising Star. 
Once this message is open for one hour, it self-destructs. 
Once this message is closed, it self-destructs. 
Message has been hashed. 

Dear friends... 
Another Particle hole has been detected. 
In a high-particle sector of Redacted space. 
I cannot tell whether it is red or blue particulate yet, but what I can tell you... 
GalCorp is on its way. 
If the Particle Hole deems them a threat, the Particle hole may begin attempting to make its own army. 

[OOC: It's easy for space-folds to be made there.] 
[OOC: If it detects a non-particle or non-particle-hole object first, it's a red particle hole. It will consider them a threat - I mean, it's already trying to attack the other particle, there's red AND blue emitters there] 
[OOC: But If it detects ME first {It will detect me at many many many AU away compared to normal detections approx. 1 AU} it's a blue particle hole.] 
[You don't actually know this, but you DO know i'm the one that knows the most about it, so you may think "Oh, I should come along to try to make it feel easier"] 
To use [OUR] Custom Modules, go to Forums/Knuckle Cracker/PFE/Map Makers, Ship Builders, and Coders, Go to the pinned posts, find the one named "Custom Modules Thread", Open it, Scroll down until you find ShipModule, Apply that into your map, do not apply it into map if one copy already exists, Apply the Adder script (Sometimes named "Master.prpl, sometimes [shipname]Adder, etc.) and the actual used scripts [which i will state in my posts]. If one copy already exists, do not apply another copy. -The CMC :-)

Keeper Decagon

The space-time shockwave resulting from the destruction of a significant Black Hole rippled throughout the galaxy, causing all sorts of terrible disasters. Planets were shredded, ships knocked out of Rift and Hyperspace, and great nebulae that stood for billions of years were disrupted by the terrible event. It was a stroke of sheer luck that a dark matter dust bank absorbed enough of the shockwave to prevent Protected Space and much of the known Redacted Space being annihilated. Unfortunately, a vast section of the Khephrin Empire was in close proximity to the quantum implosion, being swiftly wiped out as a result; in mere hours, trillions of lives were lost.

In the days after the event, huge fleets of surviving Khephrin colony vessels were reported to flood into known space, desperately seeking help from anyone who was willing to aid the refugees. Some of the more unscrupulous elements present in Redacted Space took advantage of the weakened insectoid fleets; some vessels were destroyed outright, others were disabled and boarded by raiders to take the colonists into slavery, and more still fell victim to the endless swarms of Particulate. GalCorp was even less willing to harbour the refugees, gladly stranding the colony vessels in deep space with FTL inhibitors until "their case could be verified", only to have the Hydraxil Collective turn up to devastate the defenseless colony ships.

Meanwhile, Flare, Cobalt and the others were back on the Starfire, gathered in the central chamber alongside numerous other Crystallids. The newest member of the group, the Rising Star mind now named Ardent Sapphire, remained near to the First Borns whilst the other younglings gave her some funny looks.

"Don't mind them," Emerald whispered, gently patting Sapphire on the back. "They are just cautious. A lot has happened to all of us, and technically having an outsider join our Convergence can stir up some paranoia."

Sapphire nodded, glancing over at the curious younglings. Each softly pulsed their luminescence, to which Sapphire responded with a pulse of her own. This seemed to satisfy the younglings, turning their attention back toward Flare.

"Something terrible has happened," the Prismatic began, her harmonic voice emanating through the chamber. "A tragedy beyond imagining, innumerable lives perished. And yet, a presence long lost to time has returned."

There were some murmurs between the various younglings, and even Cobalt looked slightly surprised.

"Presence?"

"Yes... but not just any. It felt like one of us, Cobalt. A First Born," Flare explained, glowing an excited hue of colours. "We will depart this place for now, and seek out our long-lost sibling. The repairs to the Hyperdome have been successful, and all Mineral Harvesters have been brought back."

Sapphire gave her green companion a quizzical look. "Emerald, what does that term mean, 'First Born'?"

"First Borns are the very first of our race, the ones that have led and protected us until now. The Prismatic once told me there were 25 of them in the beginning, but now there are only three... well, four, if we count whoever has just turned up," Emerald said enthusiastically. "Come on, let's find you a regeneration pod. We'll need all the energy we can muster if we're heading out into Redacted Space again."

Flare ended the meeting, and the younglings dispersed. Cobalt remained behind, turning to Flare with a mixture of eagerness and caution in his demeanour.

"Do you know who it could be? The last one of us to 'perish' was Distinct Temperance, four hundred thousand years ago." Cobalt mused, drifting around the middle of the chamber. "Could he have survived somehow?"

"I can't say," Flare replied slowly. "It is powerful though. We will have to see when we get nearer, Cobalt. From this distance, it could be just delayed echo of the past reaching us, caused by the quantum event."

They each nodded in silent agreement. Flare and Cobalt quickly left the Starfire, piloting the Catalyst and Diamond docked along two of the stations huge arms. The fleet moved into position, and after a final farewell transmission to Spaartan and the other parties gathered here, it disappeared into Rift Space.
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

GoodMorning

x Rising Star
o Recipient

In light of the recent gravitational wave, we of Rising Star wish to extend an invitation to those in need, and an offer of assistance.

x <Analyser>
o Unknown Crystallids

Greetings.

We are glad to see you have survived the gravitational phenomena. However, this entire region is coming to bits, and it would be safest for you to leave. You seemed purposeful shortly after you arrived, but then headed for a near-deserted area. If you require directions, we may be able to assist.

x "Garnet"
o Convergence

Envy thinks you would like to know that some Crystallids have been spotted near that beam-convergence. He's heading out there with us.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

GoodMorning

<Analyser>: That seems to be holding.

<Twister>: Yes. For now. I'll have to watch it, but it's not spreading - for now. I've no idea how this will interact with Rift Space, though.

<Sensor>: I'm amazed anyone would do this. The <ripple> would be bad enough. Still, the technology <entity/foreign/arrogant> used is pretty basic... In fact, all the warps we've seen seem to use only a primary inflation, and attempt to cancel the tertiary.

<Twister>: Well, if you're working with four-dimensional modelling assumptions, it makes sense to try to damp the unpredictable element. It would explain why they all think it so risky to use warps for anything...

<Analyser>: It would take vast amounts of power, too - maybe that's why they use this "Rift Space" so much. It's less complex to discover. But they'd still know about the <ripple> they'd cause - or have a good idea that the tertiaries would do something.

<Sensor>: I don't like to suggest this, but... I doubt they knew that they might induce a spatial fragmentation. It may be that, however, that they did know about the gravitational effects, and did this anyway.

Envy: How long does this take?

"Garnet": Normally, or now? Normally, we would do this with a single twist. At the moment, we're trying to correct for ... pretty much everything, really. Avoiding discontinuities, counteracting distortions, exploiting deviations... And that's without mitigating the wave-disturbance.

Envy: I know. Sorry, I'm not myself. I'm trying to locate the Crystallids you mentioned.

"Garnet": Good luck with that. I'm having to use third-power complex warps just to keep a link to <Sensor>. We'll get there eventually.

Keeper Decagon

Placid Flare: I can feel them... we're getting close. Prepare yourselves, there is a lot of spatial disturbance here.

Observant Cobalt: Let's do this!

*The Starfire and its fleet drop out of Rift Space on the outskirts of the massive quantum event, narrowly skimming a vast discontinuity that streaked through space behind them.*

Benevolent Emerald: Running scans... Prismatic, look over there, dead ahead!

Placid Flare: That is them, for sure. I can't quite make out who it is though...

*The distant shape seemingly detects the new arrivals, changing direction to intercept the Crystallid fleet. As it approached, the shape was defined into three separate ones, gliding to a halt in front of the Starfire.*

Prolific Amber: Well, well, well. If it isn't the old crew, coming to rescue us!

Observant Cobalt: A... Amber? You're... you're alive!

*Cobalt disengaged from the Diamond, floating up to his old friend's form.*

Observant Cobalt: I... I can't believe it... after all these years...

Prolific Amber: *She shrinks to her normal form, gently touching her head to Cobalt's, glowing a warm yellow.* ...you have suffered... blamed yourself... see yourself reflected in me and soothe your mind, my dear Cobalt. This is a joyous reunion!

Tender Corona: Prismatic, it is good to see you again. It has been a while, though to us, mere days passed since we fell into the Void.

Placid Flare: *She looks past Corona, her gaze resting upon the final Trinity Guardian.* Persistent Harmony.

*Things go silent, several younglings turning up to see the tense situation developing as the helmeted Crystallid floats closer to the Prismatic.*

Placid Flare: What... were you thinking?! Your decision to throw yourselves into the Void damn near doomed the Convergence! If you had waited five more minutes, the rest of us would have arrived to help you defeat the Loki! Instead? We arrived to see you destroy yourselves and leaving us without our most powerful fighters!

Persistent Harmony: I had no choice! We might not have survived the Loki's assault had I not created the Void portal.

*Cobalt and Amber approach slowly.*

Prolific Amber: Placid, we should not linger in the past. This area of space is becoming increasingly unstable, even with those kind disembodied folk helping to straighten out our path.

Benevolent Emerald: Prismatic, we're getting a transmission from Envy!

Solar Envy: Thank goodness, you found them. Garnet and I are inbound, uh... soon. Spacetime over there is freaking out, even with our attempts to stabilise it, so travel is getting to be increasingly tricky.

Placid Flare: Understood, Envy. We're going to make a head for deep space in the opposite direction of the event. I'm sure you can track us once you're here. Flare, out.

Observant Cobalt: You heard the Prismatic, move it!

*The gathered group of crystalline entities and their fleet begin moving away from the damaged region of space, though the shears in spacetime are hasty to catch up and overtake them before bleeding back into the abyss. Luckily, the fleet was small enough to avoid the devastation for the most part, hoping to reach calmer tides before time itself started ripping apart.*

GoodMorning

<Twister>: That should do it.

<Sensor>: It doesn't solve the problem, though.

<Twister>: No, but it will bring it back to a manageable size. Are there any other curious groups trying to get here?

<Sensor>: A few, but they didn't leave as soon as the Crystallids did - I've knocked them out of Rift Space before they came too close.

<Twister>: <irritation> "Sorry, it's for your own good. We've mostly got this contained, but you will get yourselves killed if you come closer..."

<Sensor>: I agree, but it wouldn't help. That's why <Analyser> is making it look natural.

<Twister>: I wondered where it had gone...

<Sensor>: You do get caught up in your work, don't you?

"Garnet": Change of plan, Envy - we're going to join your group now. <Sensor> and <Twister> have cooked up a system to control this mess, but it's lesser-of-two-evils as far as the nearby space is concerned.

Envy: "Lesser" how?

"Garnet": Hmm... Something like the difference between a planet covered with Creeper, or a planet torn apart. There's a reason we're leaving now.

GoodMorning

x Rising Star
o Convergence

The destruction is contained ... to a degree. It's not going anywhere, however. Also, we're detecting charge patterns from those installations again. Based on the damage we saw previously, we may have to take steps to prevent them self-destructing.

You wouldn't happen to have any idea why they would be doing this, would you?

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 21, 2017, 07:37:27 PM
x Rising Star
o Convergence

The destruction is contained ... to a degree. It's not going anywhere, however. Also, we're detecting charge patterns from those installations again. Based on the damage we saw previously, we may have to take steps to prevent them self-destructing.

You wouldn't happen to have any idea why they would be doing this, would you?

Placid Flare: They are charging again? I would not know... perhaps now they have demonstrated the power of these things, they wish to use them on Protected Space, or some other target...

Benevolent Emerald: I've been studying the recorded quantum event at "Ground Zero", and I would have to say, if those guns are still in working order then they're the most terrifying weapons we have ever faced. Even more so than the Unmaker Omega beam-

Observant Cobalt: Shh! They have enough to worry about without you babbling new threats into existence.

Benevolent Emerald: Sorry... I didn't think it was still taboo after all this time-

Placid Flare: Regardless, kind Rising Star, we must prepare for any outcome. If these weapons fire again, or indeed self-destruct in the process, we cannot afford another event like the one at Ground Zero. We may not be so fortunate in keeping the resulting destruction contained.

Observant Cobalt: I will talk with the allied commanders in sectors near some of these stations, and see if we can mount an offensive on them. As far as I can tell, they have no point-defense weapons of their own, but they do each have a sizable Hydraxil fleet surrounding each one.

Placid Flare: Let us hope they don't have many more dirty tricks up their sleeves.

GoodMorning

x Rising Star
o Convergence

Patience... We will introduce flaws to the nearest installation, enough to keep it non-operational for some time more. There is little sense in further loss of life.

As to containment ... it may be for the best. If we knew where they would target, then there are ... steps ... we could take, to divert the effects. If we cause a second event at Ground Zero, it may allow us to fix the problem. Self-destructing stations would then be no bad thing. But ... the odds of success are mixed. With a fully functional array and coordination at both ends, we could correct the earlier mistake neatly. As it is, we have at best even odds. We really do need more information.

Keeper Decagon

----Incoming Transmission----

<Signal Identified: Crystallid>

<Initiating Data Recorder>

Greetings, HDF Captain.

My name is Observant Cobalt, First Commander of the Crystallid Convergence. As you may have detected, a huge quantum event ravaged the galaxy recently. This event was caused by the Hydraxil Collective, using an ancient array of superweapons situated around Redacted Space.

Given your proximity to one of the stations, identified through intercepted transmissions as Installation 04, and the significant bulk of your taskforce compared to many others out here, I would like to propose an assault on this "Citadel". Whilst the Citadel itself has no observed Point-Defense weapons, it does have a significant Hydraxil fleet orbiting it.

Of course, I am not expecting you to do this simply on good faith. Know that if they fire these things again, it could annihilate all FTL travel in the galaxy and destroy every inhabited planet in Protected Space and beyond. I hope that you see the urgency and importance of this request, and are willing to coordinate a strike on Installation 04 before it's too late.

<Transmission Archived and Forwarded to Captain's Ready Room>

Cpt Varro: Interesting... Computer, send a reply to the Crystallids that we are changing course and proceeding to the designated coordinates.

Computer: Transmission sent.

Cpt Varro: Good. This isn't the first time we're going up against ancient menaces, and let us hope we can save this galaxy before it's too late...

----End Transmission----

Keeper Decagon

----Fleet Combat Communications----

Cpt Varro: Fire!

Lt Manaan: Kill confirmed, taking fire across the board. Suggest-

Cmd Kami: Scaffold moving into combat position; frigate groups, move in-

Cpt Varro: Break formation, pick your targets and engage. Enemy reinforcements-

Hythar: We are coming up to the installation now, encountering heavy resistance. Backup is en-route from-

Cooperative Unit 01 "Phiilshuur": The Motherships are taking damage, coordinating fire with Fighters Alpha and Bravo...

Cpt Somtaaw: Varro, it looks like there are more Dreadnoughts inbound!

Lt Manaan: Heads up, destroyers. We have enemy Fighters making a run for the Command Carrier-

Cpt Varro: Cruisers, target that Control Node. Hopefully that should disrupt their front line...

Cmd Kami: Long-range fire from the dreadnoughts have struck the Scaffold's secondary arms, damage sustained across decks 15 to 22-

Somtaaw Fleet Intelligence: Sensors are flaring! The enemy installation is powering up its main weapon!

Cpt Varro: All ships, break off your engagements and fall back! Heavy Cruisers, lay down suppressing fire to cover the Carriers and the Scaffold-

Cpt Somtaaw: Hythar, that means you too, get away from the station now!

Hythar: Tractor beams have been engaged, we can't break free! Concentrating fire on the station's beam emitters... there!

Computer: Warning, electromagnetic interference detected.

Cpt Varro: It's an EMP! Everyone, shut your power systems down before-

<Error: Signal Disrupted>

----Communications Lost----

GoodMorning

x Rising Star
o HDF

You will wish to know that, while your Rift engines are down, there's an extremely large Hydraxil force inbound to your location. They seem to be leaving a skeleton staff at every known facility.

Fortunately, the gravitational disruption of that firing will assist us to conceal this next move: You, the facility, and the general area have just won a surprise trip to a pocket universe. The facility itself will be further contained.

x Rising Star
o Convergence

Ignoring the part about "don't rush in" has caused enough deaths. We're removing that facility entirely. A subversion mask is in place in the installation, and we'll protect the HDF fleet.

x Rising Star
o (General broadcast, Hydraxil anticoded)

Recent Hydraxil hostility and biophobia leads us to the conclusion that they are unsuited to life in this galaxy. We are therefore taking steps. The recent large-scale movement of Hydraxil fleets is a useful concentration.

Please, therefore, avoid the path (1.3,0.6) (radial) <=> (1.35,54.1) (radial) with galactic-ratio cross-section 0.00000001, rotatable.

Note also that "remove" does not mean "destroy". Any who consider "destroy" to be their aim/purpose may join the Collective's journey by moving to (1.3,0.6) (radial).

Hidden by the backwash of the nearby firing, a vast distortion in space begins to grow. A sense of bitter irony emanates from <Twister> as the discontinuity-disturbance is tapped and drained. Quietly, barely noticeable to any not directly affected, a contraction-tunnel distends into being, reaching far beyond the galactic disc, and into deep space. At one point, it dodges a rather irritated star-turtle.

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 28, 2017, 07:09:50 PM
x Rising Star
o Convergence

Ignoring the part about "don't rush in" has caused enough deaths. We're removing that facility entirely. A subversion mask is in place in the installation, and we'll protect the HDF fleet.

Prolific Amber: ...

Benevolent Emerald: ...

Placid Flare: ...

Tender Corona: ...

Observant Cobalt: Uh... What are you lot gawking at? The plan worked, didn't it?

Prolific Amber: In a way, but you put many innocent lives at risk in order to carry it out.

Tender Corona: Saying that, many more would have been lost had they fired the things properly.

Placid Flare: *Sigh* What's done is done. However, as well-meaning as your actions were, they went against the wishes of an ally. Don't forget, we don't exactly have many of those nowadays.

Observant Cobalt: Argh, I don't need you to lecture me, Flare. I know full well about our situation. Sometimes, you just have to risk the few for the sake of all. Now they can't fire their superweapons at all.

Placid Flare: Regardless, you will apologize to both Rising Star and the captain you used for your plan once everything settles down. I'm sorry, Observant, I just can't let this go quietly. If I do, what example does that set for the other factions? For the younglings?

Observant Cobalt: FINE, fine, I understand...

Prolific Amber: Come on, let's put this behind us; we still have work to do.

*The Starfire's central chamber empties, though Flare remains behind for a little while. Cobalt is about to leave, when...*

Observant Cobalt: After all we've been through, you still don't trust my judgement, do you?

Placid Flare: ...Cobalt, of course I do...

Observant Cobalt: Don't fool yourself, Placid. We both know that I'm not getting any better. My soul blackens with every decision, every battle fought... Amber would make a great First Commander.

Placid Flare: No! I could never make the call to replace you... you've been at my side since the beginning.

Observant Cobalt: You don't need to make the call, I've made it for you. I'll inform Amber about her... impromptu promotion.

*He leaves.*

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 28, 2017, 07:09:50 PM
x Rising Star
o HDF

You will wish to know that, while your Rift engines are down, there's an extremely large Hydraxil force inbound to your location. They seem to be leaving a skeleton staff at every known facility.

Fortunately, the gravitational disruption of that firing will assist us to conceal this next move: You, the facility, and the general area have just won a surprise trip to a pocket universe. The facility itself will be further contained.

Cpt Varro: *Coughs as he pulls himself off the deck, glancing around at a bridge filled with sparks and smoke. The Rising Star transmission only just made it through the tinny speakers beside the front window.* I think we may have some more issues than malfunctioning drives... status report!

Cpt Somtaaw: It doesn't look good, half the conduits on the ship were blown out when the pulse hit us. Seeing extensive damage across all decks, and the main reactor is offline. Auxiliary power just about keeping the air flowing.

Cpt Varro: *Coughs again, stumbling to one of the active control panels.* Scaffold Control, are you there? Kami, can you hear me?

Cmd Kami: Just about, we were hit hard. One of the Motherships heading for us during the fight has collided with arms 3 and 4. We have more hull breaches than active bulkheads at this point and more than half of the Scaffold has lost all power.

Lt Manaan: This is Lieutenant Manaan from the destroyer Turbulence. We're suffering widespread structural integrity loss and our engines have blown themselves out. Wait... what is that? No, the RED spike. Captain, we have a breach in the starboard fusion chamber and-

*An explosion sweeps through the fleet as the Turbulence is torn in half by the fusion detonation.*

Hythar: Captain, can you hear me? Ah, there we go. I just saw the explosion... it looks like your fleet isn't faring any better than mine. Two of our Fighters went careening into the Citadel, and one of the Motherships has... merged with one of theirs. Suffered some... personal damage too. Gah, I hate these implants.

Cpt Varro: Well, I suggest you hold on a little longer. Our Rising Star friends say they will pull us out of here, hopefully before we suffer any more casualties.

Somtaaw Fleet Intelligence: You should see sickbay. There are more crew in there than any other part of the ship. We even had to convert one of our empty hangar bays into a secondary sickbay for the time being.

Cpt Varro: In any case, if you can still hear us, I'm glad you've come to the rescue, Rising Star. At least this installation won't be a problem anymore. Varro, out. *Distantly* Someone get me a repair crew up here before this smoke chokes us to death...