Hiigara Defence Force

Started by Keeper Decagon, October 12, 2016, 01:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpaca

Back at the Falcon Renegades/Planet/Crystallid area/ ???

Basically everything I brought this up for

Spaartan: Why have you brought me here? And if it's so important, why not get Cobalt and Flare?

cpaca: Flare asked me to put up some cameras with noise, video, and several other things, as well as have another Crystallid watch so they can feel the psionic energies - if any come out. None come out of the hole.

And Cobalt still seems a bit too angry to talk. I hope he'll look at the clips with Flare.

Spaartan: So can't I take a clip?

cpaca: You could, but seeing as you emptied your schedule for the next 30 minutes...

Spaartan: I guess I could watch live. Maybe something will happen that I notice.

By the way, what is happening?

cpaca: Have you looked at what happens when a hole gets to 1,000,000?

Spaartan: Yes, you can become a captain.

cpaca: Precisely. This hole is at 999,99... No, it's at 1,005,000. Ticon defense was just chucked in. 

Spaartan: Ah. I see. You think it would be interesting to watch. I do too.

cpaca: Well, see you after the transformation.

*cpaca jumps into the hole, and the hole and cpaca both agree to be Hole and Captain*
*cpaca is chucked out*
*cpaca glows, similar to Superman's face at the end of All-star superman when he's turning into pure energy*
*a few minutes pass*
*cpaca's eyes turn blue, as well as the glowing.*
*a few seconds pass*
*cpaca stops glowing, but the eyes are still blue.*

cpaca: Well, the transformation is done.

Spaartan: That was surprisingly fast. Your eyes are blue, by the way.

cpaca: Ah. Perhaps that goes away. Not helpful to control someone as an assasin if their eyes are so obviously blue.
Wait, Blue? I wonder....

*a few minutes of cpaca claiming to try things but Spaartan doesn't notice anything*
*Particulate starts spewing out of cpaca's eyes*

Spaartan: HOLY CRAP

cpaca: What is it? I want to see!

Spaartan: You'll see in the clips. Particulate is flowing out of your eyes!

cpaca: That's cool! That would explain the weird "hole" in my chest. Probably some body functions were made more efficient so a small emitter could be applied.

Crystallid starts walking away.

cpaca: I completely forgot! I was curious too.

Crystallid: Oh?

cpaca: What psionic energies came out?

Crystallid: No psionic energies came out, except when you were glowing blue for the few seconds... when it produced a lot of energy.

All the crystallid felt it, even Emerald and Envy.
Basically, the Hole holds an enormous amount of psionic energy. Enough to pass through dimensions. Not even the hole knows this, not even the 25-million hole.

Back to Spaartan and cpaca:

Spaartan: Funny. I felt a weird.... something at that point too. It may just be the immense light that came out hurting my eyes.

[close]
To use [OUR] Custom Modules, go to Forums/Knuckle Cracker/PFE/Map Makers, Ship Builders, and Coders, Go to the pinned posts, find the one named "Custom Modules Thread", Open it, Scroll down until you find ShipModule, Apply that into your map, do not apply it into map if one copy already exists, Apply the Adder script (Sometimes named "Master.prpl, sometimes [shipname]Adder, etc.) and the actual used scripts [which i will state in my posts]. If one copy already exists, do not apply another copy. -The CMC :-)

GoodMorning

"Charitable Garnet": ... I suppose it makes sense for you to use word identifiers rather than <shadow/description/impression><plural>... It's strange to feel that system apply to me, though. Still, if it helps you make sense of us, go ahead. It makes a form of sense that our interactions will be approximate...

(The design chip is hidden for a moment, then passes rapidly to <maker/producer>.)

"Garnet": Interesting... Do you mind testing a second copy with some tweaks thrown in? We'll make both. While we do that, is there anything you would like to see? The warp actualisers would probably be dangerous to visit... How about a trip through the Rift Space laboratories and then a look at the very-high-density research?

(The room starts to drift rapidly. Emerald flares various hues in momentary alarm, and it stops.)

"Garnet": Oh. We thought you might find it more comfortable if we used an inertialess transit <bend/warp> to get around. But I suppose you aren't really equipped to sense it... One moment.

("Garnet"s shape extends briefly into a wall and over to where the chip is still being held. A sense of attention and conferral reaches Emerald for a few seconds. Shortly thereafter, a crystalline wafer slides back toward Emerald, seeming to fold around itself as it does so. Emerald examines, and finds that the crystal matrix is perfectly straight - but it also has folded into a circle. As she touches it, she feels a complicated thoughtsymbol detailing it's use.)

"Garnet": Does this <interface/sensor/controller> help?
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Keeper Decagon

Previous Part
Quote from: GoodMorning on September 17, 2017, 08:55:18 PM
"Charitable Garnet": ... I suppose it makes sense for you to use word identifiers rather than <shadow/description/impression><plural>... It's strange to feel that system apply to me, though. Still, if it helps you make sense of us, go ahead. It makes a form of sense that our interactions will be approximate...

(The design chip is hidden for a moment, then passes rapidly to <maker/producer>.)

"Garnet": Interesting... Do you mind testing a second copy with some tweaks thrown in? We'll make both. While we do that, is there anything you would like to see? The warp actualisers would probably be dangerous to visit... How about a trip through the Rift Space laboratories and then a look at the very-high-density research?

(The room starts to drift rapidly. Emerald flares various hues in momentary alarm, and it stops.)

"Garnet": Oh. We thought you might find it more comfortable if we used an inertialess transit <bend/warp> to get around. But I suppose you aren't really equipped to sense it... One moment.

("Garnet"s shape extends briefly into a wall and over to where the chip is still being held. A sense of attention and conferral reaches Emerald for a few seconds. Shortly thereafter, a crystalline wafer slides back toward Emerald, seeming to fold around itself as it does so. Emerald examines, and finds that the crystal matrix is perfectly straight - but it also has folded into a circle. As she touches it, she feels a complicated thoughtsymbol detailing it's use.)

"Garnet": Does this <interface/sensor/controller> help?
[close]

*Emerald runs her fingers over the crystalline device, almost entranced by the complexity, yet familiarity. Through her touch, she can begin to feel beyond the immediate space around herself, gaining a greater awareness of the strange intricacies of the structures that surround them.*

I think I have a hang of it... what a s-strange sensation! Let us p-proceed.

*The room begins to drift once more.*

I am excited to see your l-laboratories! It has been such a long time since I have b-been able to visit a proper research establishment! You'll have to show m-me what your research on Rift Space has discovered so far... p-perhaps I would be able to use the Knowledge our race has accrued about t-the nature of Rift Space to aid your understanding.

QuoteThis is Guard Captain Alissa Skye. I wish to converse with the Crystalids on a temporary truce. The recordings Rising Star gave us revealed questions that I would like answered. We are de-activating our weapon systems to show our non-hostility.

Observant Cobalt: You attack us, get beaten back, and then you want a truce?! What makes you think I will trust ANYTHING you say?!

Observant Cobalt: We have been HUNTED by your GalCorp, not least after they tried to destroy us from the moment we made contact!

Observant Cobalt: "They're humans, right? So perhaps they are related to the Seloi?" Flare told me. I was stupid enough to believe that!

Placid Flare: C...Cobalt... please... calm yours-

Observant Cobalt: NO! THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT WE'VE BEEN THROUGH! THEY DIDN'T END UP TRAPPED IN A POCKET UNIVERSE WHILST THE COLLECTIVE EXTERMINATED OUR RACE, MURDERED OUR YOUNGLINGS! THEY HAVEN'T HAD TO ENDURE THE SUFFERING THAT WE HAVE, BEING TRAPPED FOR MILLENNIA WHILST EVERYTHING WE HAVE WORKED SO HARD TO ACHIEVE WAS ERASED!

*Every voice in the Convergence and beyond was hushed in an instant, all eyes on the dark flickering hues within Cobalt's titanic form. Despite Opal and Quartz trying to convince her otherwise, Flare left the Starfire, floating in front of the hulking First Born in her standard form, empathetically gazing up at him.*

Placid Flare: ...I know your pain, Observant... the loss... the suffering... it drives us forward... we can no more bring the lost younglings back... as we can travel back in time... to prevent the carnage... in the first place...

*The words, despite their harsh reality, began to soothe the raging monster within Cobalt. Slowly, the darkness retreated back into himself, the familiar blue luminescence slowly coming back to replace it.*

Placid Flare: ...don't let the ghosts haunt you, Observant... their voices sing on, evermore... within us. We strive to avenge them... by living, and letting others live...

*A few moments of eerie silence pass. Flare approaches Cobalt, laying one hand on his hard exterior. The Titan-form begins to glow as it sheds its outer layers, the cast-off crystal dissolving into slivers of light. The form becomes smaller and smaller, until only Cobalt's normal form remains. He slowly approaches her.*

Observant Cobalt: I guess you know better than anyone, of the pain the extermination caused... perhaps... I should take solace in the fact we're still here, after everything...

Placid Flare: We have been through a lot, old friend... let us begin anew, with greater understanding... come, Captain Skye, let us converse in peace.
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

cpaca

*shivers*

If it helps, Cobalt, wiping a human mind of all thoughts is an instant kill, mostly. 
The Particulate hole is powerful enough to enter a mind [1 second], wipe every memory to go into the hole [1 second] and leave [1 second] so 3-second kill. 

If that gives you a sense of security, then it shall. 
But I shall only attack if they do too much damage.
Don't tell them that.
I want the power of the Particle Hole kept secret.

I'll PM you something I want to happen - small thing, really - in the chat
To use [OUR] Custom Modules, go to Forums/Knuckle Cracker/PFE/Map Makers, Ship Builders, and Coders, Go to the pinned posts, find the one named "Custom Modules Thread", Open it, Scroll down until you find ShipModule, Apply that into your map, do not apply it into map if one copy already exists, Apply the Adder script (Sometimes named "Master.prpl, sometimes [shipname]Adder, etc.) and the actual used scripts [which i will state in my posts]. If one copy already exists, do not apply another copy. -The CMC :-)

GoodMorning

x Rising Star
o Prismatic Placid Flare

Greetings again.

We hope you are recovered, and wouldn't bother you if it wasn't important.

However, we wish to know if you are happy for that GalCorp fleet to approach again - they have begun to.

(OOC: This is already a bit long, and has a tendency to expand whenever I look at it. Lacking a forum connection for some time today has contributed to this length, so I apologise for that..)

"Garnet": Ah, good; you seem more comfortable now. How does it feel? Scratch that, our senses are different enough that I wouldn't understand the answer.

(The path they now follow is much easier for Emerald to understand.)

"Garnet": By the way, if I understand your language correctly, there's a <concept/flag> which affects your identifiers, and seems to be associated with individuals. What I'm trying to ask is, do <we> or I need to choose one? If so, which? Does the "he"/"she" difference have some implication I should know of?

(Emerald has been experimenting with the device, and suddenly lurches with a misplaced setting. By the time she recovers, "Garnet" is explaining to what feels like a cloud of irritation. Emerald slowly drifts ahead uncertainly, until the communication finishes and "Garnet" catches up. They proceed toward the labs apace, Garnet illustrating the path. The device has adapted to Emerald's habits, and now smooths her motions well.)

"Garnet": While we're here, if you don't object... Do you mind if we scan your form? We're interested in your <life-workings>, and there are a few who are interested in <wearing/testing/enjoying> such a form. <dilemma/issue/problem> We have (as yet) no idea about what to look at, so we would be scanning your mind as well. We're ... <disagreement/conflicted> about even asking, but your thoughts are <unknown/alien/different/hence>...

("Garnet" trails off, uncertain. Emerald is emanating unalloyed surprise.)

<uncertainty/removal> Anyway, we've got a tour to finish!

(OOC: I have no idea how Emerald would react, so I'll let "Garnet"'s <discomfort/awkwardness/uncertainty> cover for now.)

("Garnet" speeds off, Emerald following at a more sedate pace, and they arrive at a space which is more open than most so far. "Garnet" seems to be rushing somewhat, and seems agitated. Emerald gets the impression that he is unsure if he has offended her.)

"Garnet": This is our Rift research area. We had to add dampers to the structure here, and Rift openings seem far harder to generate than we had understood. One moment...

(A pulse of something like greeting and something like announcement ripples outward. Emerald detects an impression of a crystalline form, which she assumes to be herself. "Garnet" becomes rather harder to see, and a number of similar forms resolve.)

"Garnet": Emerald, this is our Rift team. They're interested in getting to know you at some point.

(Each form emits a <greeting/introduction> in turn. Through the device, Emerald can tell that these shapes are temporary creations, and that it is the device used by "Garnet" that generates them all. They each give a sense of being inhabited, however. After welcoming Emerald, each vanishes, presumably to resume interrputed activities.)

"Garnet": Since your <interface/navigator> seems to work for you, we'll arrange something similar to help you locate others. Warps like this <here/this place/self location> are fiddly to work with sometimes. When we do, I might give you this device - some of the <labs> might be unsafe for your physical form, and a <shroud/suit/case/armour><twist> would be a good precaution to take.

(As they tour the space, various equipment is explained.)

"Garnet": Let's see... we have a Rift Totem stockpile through there. The fractal alloy is something we have worked with, but the effect it has on Rift Space is a little <counterintuitive> to us, and we have to shield that area when we open a new Rift. You'll note the facing Totems around the lab, in case of emergencies. There, we have Rift storage. The <folds!> there are amazing - you can probably tell from here, now. We're wondering if that would work as long-term energy storage. We're running a Rift transit experiment at the moment - the field structure seems to be conservative, for some reason. As far as we can tell, the Totems seem to have <sub-Planck> systems - what use a Rift of that duration is, we're not sure, but the power systems aren't up to more than <repayment/uncertainty> openings. Rift weaponry is next - we don't forbid research, but <weaponsmith> tends not to have much help. Interests vary, and all of that. We have some unusual results from that. And we'll need to stay away from this next part - Rift implosions aren't my thing, but I gather it's rather dangerous for you over there.

(They return to their entrance. Emerald goes to inspect "Rift storage")

"Garnet": These are <tricky/difficult/fiddling> to make, but far easier to expand. We're still trying to find a way to close them remotely - it seems possible, because Rift Engines don't leave a gate. But they don't have the power to create more then <infinitesimal/time> Rifts anyway. We're probably thinking about them the wrong way. I don't suppose you have any ideas?

OOC, Tech-lore

Remember in the story missions, how permanent Rift openings were supposed to be impossible? Rift Engines use <quantum> to reclaim the energy needed to open the Rift before it's missed. The bulk of the Rift engine is there to phase the ship "through". Rising Star has/have been keeping the Rift open for noticeable times, so have missed this element. The perils of working backward... On the other hand, their larger power systems open other possibilities.
[close]

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: GoodMorning on September 18, 2017, 03:34:42 AM
x Rising Star
o Prismatic Placid Flare

Greetings again.

We hope you are recovered, and wouldn't bother you if it wasn't important.

However, we wish to know if you are happy for that GalCorp fleet to approach again - they have begun to.

Placid Flare: Yes, worry not kind Rising Star... we have declared a truce. We hope to get a diplomatic resolution to this nonsense... I remain hopeful.

Spoiler
Quote"Garnet": Ah, good; you seem more comfortable now. How does it feel? Scratch that, our senses are different enough that I wouldn't understand the answer.

(The path they now follow is much easier for Emerald to understand.)

"Garnet": By the way, if I understand your language correctly, there's a <concept/flag> which affects your identifiers, and seems to be associated with individuals. What I'm trying to ask is, do <we> or I need to choose one? If so, which? Does the "he"/"she" difference have some implication I should know of?

(Emerald has been experimenting with the device, and suddenly lurches with a misplaced setting. By the time she recovers, "Garnet" is explaining to what feels like a cloud of irritation. Emerald slowly drifts ahead uncertainly, until the communication finishes and "Garnet" catches up. They proceed toward the labs apace, Garnet illustrating the path. The device has adapted to Emerald's habits, and now smooths her motions well.)

"Garnet": While we're here, if you don't object... Do you mind if we scan your form? We're interested in your <life-workings>, and there are a few who are interested in <wearing/testing/enjoying> such a form. <dilemma/issue/problem> We have (as yet) no idea about what to look at, so we would be scanning your mind as well. We're ... <disagreement/conflicted> about even asking, but your thoughts are <unknown/alien/different/hence>...

("Garnet" trails off, uncertain. Emerald is emanating unalloyed surprise.)

<uncertainty/removal> Anyway, we've got a tour to finish!

("Garnet" speeds off, Emerald following at a more sedate pace, and they arrive at a space which is more open than most so far. "Garnet" seems to be rushing somewhat, and seems agitated. Emerald gets the impression that he is unsure if he has offended her.)

"Garnet": This is our Rift research area. We had to add dampers to the structure here, and Rift openings seem far harder to generate than we had understood. One moment...

(A pulse of something like greeting and something like announcement ripples outward. Emerald detects an impression of a crystalline form, which she assumes to be herself. "Garnet" becomes rather harder to see, and a number of similar forms resolve.)

"Garnet": Emerald, this is our Rift team. They're interested in getting to know you at some point.

(Each form emits a <greeting/introduction> in turn. Through the device, Emerald can tell that these shapes are temporary creations, and that it is the device used by "Garnet" that generates them all. They each give a sense of being inhabited, however. After welcoming Emerald, each vanishes, presumably to resume interrputed activities.)

"Garnet": Since your <interface/navigator> seems to work for you, we'll arrange something similar to help you locate others. Warps like this <here/this place/self location> are fiddly to work with sometimes. When we do, I might give you this device - some of the <labs> might be unsafe for your physical form, and a <shroud/suit/case/armour><twist> would be a good precaution to take.

(As they tour the space, various equipment is explained.)

"Garnet": Let's see... we have a Rift Totem stockpile through there. The fractal alloy is something we have worked with, but the effect it has on Rift Space is a little <counterintuitive> to us, and we have to shield that area when we open a new Rift. You'll note the facing Totems around the lab, in case of emergencies. There, we have Rift storage. The <folds!> there are amazing - you can probably tell from here, now. We're wondering if that would work as long-term energy storage. We're running a Rift transit experiment at the moment - the field structure seems to be conservative, for some reason. As far as we can tell, the Totems seem to have <sub-Planck> systems - what use a Rift of that duration is, we're not sure, but the power systems aren't up to more than <repayment/uncertainty> openings. Rift weaponry is next - we don't forbid research, but <weaponsmith> tends not to have much help. Interests vary, and all of that. We have some unusual results from that. And we'll need to stay away from this next part - Rift implosions aren't my thing, but I gather it's rather dangerous for you over there.

(They return to their entrance. Emerald goes to inspect "Rift storage")

"Garnet": These are <tricky/difficult/fiddling> to make, but far easier to expand. We're still trying to find a way to close them remotely - it seems possible, because Rift Engines don't leave a gate. But they don't have the power to create more then <infinitesimal/time> Rifts anyway. We're probably thinking about them the wrong way. I don't suppose you have any ideas?

OOC, Tech-lore

Remember in the story missions, how permanent Rift openings were supposed to be impossible? Rift Engines use <quantum> to reclaim the energy needed to open the Rift before it's missed. The bulk of the Rift engine is there to phase the ship "through". Rising Star has/have been keeping the Rift open for noticeable times, so have missed this element. The perils of working backward... On the other hand, their larger power systems open other possibilities.
[close]
[close]

Hrm... these Rift Totems... they l-look different than the designs I am familiar with. They don't appear any m-more or less sophisticated though. If my knowledge serves me right, Rift portals cannot be feasibly maintained... but you do have s-significant power systems however, to be able to maintain the warp rifts , so that might work to our advantage.

Individually, Rift Totems cannot create Rifts capable of transporting matter, only photon-based radiation. Working together, however, their combined micro-Rifts are then able to b-be pried apart by a suitably powerful Rift Engine to allow long-range transit. Rift Engines, like the one in my Resonator, have s-smaller mechanisms and as such cannot achieve the same portal size or transit length. Hmm...

That reminds m-me of an experiment carried out long ago by another human civilization, which used a ring of eight T-Totems firing in a staggered pattern at one point in space, gently c-coaxing the expansion of the micro-Rifts rather than blasting it open in one go like normal Rift Engines do. Through this, they m-managed to sustain a Rift portal the size of a small asteroid until the Quantum Engines in the Rift Totems burnt out. During this time, they were able to shape the l-local Rift Space in any way they wanted... well, for a while, anyway.

If we can find a way to prevent the quantum degradation of the Rift Totems' internal mechanisms, or at the very least mitigate it somehow... the p-possibilities are endless!

Of course, w-we were never able to reproduce the experiment, because of the relative scarcity of f-functional Totems. You, however, have a stockpile of them... d-do you think we could use this as a method of g-getting Envy back?

And feel f-free to study the Resonator's Rift Engine too. It is slightly different than human ones, but are f-functionally similar enough. On the data chip I gave you, there s-should be some schematics and specifications of our Rift Engines that c-could also be of use to you.
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

GoodMorning

Spoiler
Quote from: Keeper Decagon on September 18, 2017, 10:58:27 AM

Hrm... these Rift Totems... they l-look different than the designs I am familiar with. They don't appear any m-more or less sophisticated though. If my knowledge serves me right, Rift portals cannot be feasibly maintained... but you do have s-significant power systems however, to be able to maintain the warp rifts , so that might work to our advantage.

Individually, Rift Totems cannot create Rifts capable of transporting matter, only photon-based radiation. Working together, however, their combined micro-Rifts are then able to b-be pried apart by a suitably powerful Rift Engine to allow long-range transit. Rift Engines, like the one in my Resonator, have s-smaller mechanisms and as such cannot achieve the same portal size or transit length. Hmm...

That reminds m-me of an experiment carried out long ago by another human civilization, which used a ring of eight T-Totems firing in a staggered pattern at one point in space, gently c-coaxing the expansion of the micro-Rifts rather than blasting it open in one go like normal Rift Engines do. Through this, they m-managed to sustain a Rift portal the size of a small asteroid until the Quantum Engines in the Rift Totems burnt out. During this time, they were able to shape the l-local Rift Space in any way they wanted... well, for a while, anyway.

If we can find a way to prevent the quantum degradation of the Rift Totems' internal mechanisms, or at the very least mitigate it somehow... the p-possibilities are endless!

Of course, w-we were never able to reproduce the experiment, because of the relative scarcity of f-functional Totems. You, however, have a stockpile of them... d-do you think we could use this as a method of g-getting Envy back?

And feel f-free to study the Resonator's Rift Engine too. It is slightly different than human ones, but are f-functionally similar enough. On the data chip I gave you, there s-should be some schematics and specifications of our Rift Engines that c-could also be of use to you.
[close]

"Garnet": <realisation/understanding> We thought the effort required to produce a stable Rift seemed excessive for the machinery. These Totems are complex, but the Rift-implosion tests are producing increasingly stable Totem Cores - I'll put the data on your new device. The fractal alloy coating takes a while to thicken, too. If we can get around those, though, we could just replace the Totems as we go. As to Envy's return ... the transit mechanism should be symmetric, so we can start testing it <outbound>. Your schematics are helpful to <compare/contrast/correlate> with the various Totems we have. There seem to be a number of slightly different human designs out there - perhaps from the different civilisations? The Rifts we have in storage collapse to a <pinpoint/speck> discontinuity without assistance, but the power drain to keep them expanded will be <trivial>. So we may not need replacements... We'll wait until your safety device is complete.

(A warp widens into a space that Emerald hadn't realised was there. The rush of atmosphere contained therein knocks her tumbling, and the <concern/alarm/confusion> coming from "Garnet" at this does nothing to help matters. The sense of general focus returns, and a number of warps spring up to calm things down. Emerald gradually brings her spin under control. A more even, gradual pressurisation takes place, and the warp closes behind Emerald and her guide.)

"Garnet": Ummm.... This is the high-density lab - planetary surface pressures make things easier to handle. I'd forgotten that it would affect you. Are you <all right/well/unharmed>?

(Another complex thoughtsymbol goes out. From what Emerald can gather, it's a request to get her safety device completed soon.)

Keeper Decagon

Spoiler
Quote from: GoodMorning on September 18, 2017, 08:20:27 PM
"Garnet": <realisation/understanding> We thought the effort required to produce a stable Rift seemed excessive for the machinery. These Totems are complex, but the Rift-implosion tests are producing increasingly stable Totem Cores - I'll put the data on your new device. The fractal alloy coating takes a while to thicken, too. If we can get around those, though, we could just replace the Totems as we go. As to Envy's return ... the transit mechanism should be symmetric, so we can start testing it <outbound>. Your schematics are helpful to <compare/contrast/correlate> with the various Totems we have. There seem to be a number of slightly different human designs out there - perhaps from the different civilisations? The Rifts we have in storage collapse to a <pinpoint/speck> discontinuity without assistance, but the power drain to keep them expanded will be <trivial>. So we may not need replacements... We'll wait until your safety device is complete.

(A warp widens into a space that Emerald hadn't realised was there. The rush of atmosphere contained therein knocks her tumbling, and the <concern/alarm/confusion> coming from "Garnet" at this does nothing to help matters. The sense of general focus returns, and a number of warps spring up to calm things down. Emerald gradually brings her spin under control. A more even, gradual pressurisation takes place, and the warp closes behind Emerald and her guide.)

"Garnet": Ummm.... This is the high-density lab - planetary surface pressures make things easier to handle. I'd forgotten that it would affect you. Are you <all right/well/unharmed>?

(Another complex thoughtsymbol goes out. From what Emerald can gather, it's a request to get her safety device completed soon.)
[close]

*Getting her bearings, Emerald can only chuckle.*

Don't worry about m-me, kind Garnet! It's just been a while s-since I've been in atmosphere. The last time... wasn't exactly a g-great time, for reasons I may explain later...

So this is the high-density lab? What sort of materials d-do you handle here?

GoodMorning

"Garnet": Well, because it takes considerable effort to maintain the pressure differential, we operate this as the central high-density facility for this region. "High" being defined as "requiring external pressure for stability". It operates in a nested <pocket/warp/fold/crease> to allow various environments to be accessible. There was once a gas planet here - we did a little <folding>, and it made a good way to pressurise the place. The densest labs work at neutron-star or greater densities, but we don't have a large one here - it's not worth the mass. Most of this work is only at stellar-core densities or lower. Let us know if you are uncomfortable at any point, and please stay away from the fields or marked areas - if one shorts through you, it will - at the absolute best - be <dangerous/unpleasant/risky/near-fatal>.

("Garnet" adjusts the sensing equipment on Emerald's interface to better show the markers, and they go on.)

"Garnet": So, here we're looking at the effects of planetary-surface Rifts - that's where the Totems we were working from originated. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference, but it makes a good way to test potential hills from the Rift lab - hence the shortcut. Over there, we're looking at dense structure research - the kind of materials which you are familiar with. This area is concerned with damping and stabilisation - not something we've needed since the times when we used fusion for power. However, this will probably help with the whole explode-on-arrival problem.

(An odd, organic-looking shape becomes visible.)

"Garnet:" That object is an old Vitastrae shell - it's built between two planes, so conversing with the Vitastrae is currently a matter of tapping on it. That's how we contacted Envy - although he must have all but surrounded the other half to get the message across that fast - time dilation aside. We're planning to expand the stellar-core lab to fit it in, but we're a bit low on material currently. One group or another seems to have claimed every bit of rock in the area, though we doubt they'd miss much. But until we can arrange an equitable solution, we're limited to starlight and gas clouds that drift in here. We consider this space <???/ours/domain/home/claim/controlled> because it wasn't here before, but having more than one wanderer world drift in would take more "luck" than our planning can contrive.

(As they continue, the various projects seem to have a common theme: energy manipulation or Rift related studies. Eventually, the two reach another exit.)

"Garnet": We're about to open one of the other labs for a structure transfer, so we'll nip out now. Hold still for a moment, and I'll stage the transit so you don't get knocked about. Also, could you bring your <fragments/cloud/manipulators> into a bunch and hold them there?

(A number of warps run over Emerald, and the atmosphere drops away. She feels a tugging where they approach closely, and appreciates the forces being applied. The control is impressive, and she observes closely. When the process is done, they are otuside the labs again, next to the Resonator.)

"Garnet": That's the tour, more or less. We're not a particularly big group here, and most of us are <pooled/concentrating>. So, what do you want to do now?

(OOC: Emerald's surprise at the scanning request was interpreted as possibly covering offence and/or anger, and thereafter her feelings have been carefully <blocked/ignored/unaware/filtered>. I'm still interested to know what her opinion was, but "Garnet" is definitely not going to bring it up again any time soon.)

Keeper Decagon

Spoiler
Quote from: GoodMorning on September 19, 2017, 08:13:17 PM
"Garnet": Well, because it takes considerable effort to maintain the pressure differential, we operate this as the central high-density facility for this region. "High" being defined as "requiring external pressure for stability". It operates in a nested <pocket/warp/fold/crease> to allow various environments to be accessible. There was once a gas planet here - we did a little <folding>, and it made a good way to pressurise the place. The densest labs work at neutron-star or greater densities, but we don't have a large one here - it's not worth the mass. Most of this work is only at stellar-core densities or lower. Let us know if you are uncomfortable at any point, and please stay away from the fields or marked areas - if one shorts through you, it will - at the absolute best - be <dangerous/unpleasant/risky/near-fatal>.

("Garnet" adjusts the sensing equipment on Emerald's interface to better show the markers, and they go on.)

"Garnet": So, here we're looking at the effects of planetary-surface Rifts - that's where the Totems we were working from originated. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference, but it makes a good way to test potential hills from the Rift lab - hence the shortcut. Over there, we're looking at dense structure research - the kind of materials which you are familiar with. This area is concerned with damping and stabilisation - not something we've needed since the times when we used fusion for power. However, this will probably help with the whole explode-on-arrival problem.

(An odd, organic-looking shape becomes visible.)

"Garnet:" That object is an old Vitastrae shell - it's built between two planes, so conversing with the Vitastrae is currently a matter of tapping on it. That's how we contacted Envy - although he must have all but surrounded the other half to get the message across that fast - time dilation aside. We're planning to expand the stellar-core lab to fit it in, but we're a bit low on material currently. One group or another seems to have claimed every bit of rock in the area, though we doubt they'd miss much. But until we can arrange an equitable solution, we're limited to starlight and gas clouds that drift in here. We consider this space <???/ours/domain/home/claim/controlled> because it wasn't here before, but having more than one wanderer world drift in would take more "luck" than our planning can contrive.

(As they continue, the various projects seem to have a common theme: energy manipulation or Rift related studies. Eventually, the two reach another exit.)

"Garnet": We're about to open one of the other labs for a structure transfer, so we'll nip out now. Hold still for a moment, and I'll stage the transit so you don't get knocked about. Also, could you bring your <fragments/cloud/manipulators> into a bunch and hold them there?

(A number of warps run over Emerald, and the atmosphere drops away. She feels a tugging where they approach closely, and appreciates the forces being applied. The control is impressive, and she observes closely. When the process is done, they are otuside the labs again, next to the Resonator.)

"Garnet": That's the tour, more or less. We're not a particularly big group here, and most of us are <pooled/concentrating>. So, what do you want to do now?

(OOC: Emerald's surprise at the scanning request was interpreted as possibly covering offence and/or anger, and thereafter her feelings have been carefully <blocked/ignored/unaware/filtered>. I'm still interested to know what her opinion was, but "Garnet" is definitely not going to bring it up again any time soon.)
[close]

All of this... it's so impressive, for the r-relatively limited group you have! I appreciate the t-tour, it was... insightful.

*Emerald glances over at the shimmering hues bouncing around within the fully charged Resonator, the hold of which is now thoroughly empty.*

Now... well, we should r-really be getting down to business in t-terms of bringing Envy back, all things considered. However, m-my own curiosity needs to be sated first!

*She chuckles.*

Say, do you have the scanner d-device? Once I have taken some r-readings from your... uh, form, then you c-can scan me too! I mean... you did want that, right? I hope I d-didn't make you uncomfortable before... I guess I'm not quite used to d-dealing with minds as inquisitive as my own. Doesn't m-mean I have any objections, though!

Just...

...be c-careful when scanning my mind...

There may be things in there, s-sights I have seen and things I have experienced... I don't know if you w-would want to see that.

*A wash of purple and red flicker briefly through Emerald's body, as though to show some sort of conflict deep in her thoughts. After a few moments, she shakes it off, returning to a friendly green hue.*

And then when we're all d-done with exchanging scans, we can finally b-begin working together to hopefully... well, you know. I... hm?

*Emerald reaches for the antenna, sensing the incoming transmission from deep space. After a few moments of listening, Emerald turns to "Garnet".*

Looks like Commander Cobalt has snapped out of his r-rage, and Prismatic Flare is due to b-begin negotiations with... GalCorp. I d-don't know if I would trust them... but I trust the P-Prismatic. Perhaps this madness can f-finally end.

*She shakes her head at her own comment.*

Heh, always the h-hopeful one aren't you, Benevolent...

GoodMorning

"Garnet": Hope is the result of imagination. Without considering what is not, how could we bring it about?

(A torrent of thoughts accompanies this, indicating a tangled internal reaction. After a few moments, "Garnet"'s introspection concludes.)

"Garnet": Anyway... We do, in fact, have the scanner almost ready. In fact, we have two - I did mention that we added a few extras to the design? They'll be ready for our arrival.

(They move off, with a more animated conversation. Now <listening/feeling> to Emerald's projected feelings again, "Garnet" finds her to be in excellent spirits.)

"Garnet": We've tried a number of tewaks to your scanner, and it's a rather larger device than it was - we've <alloyed/grown> a number of additional crystal layers to parts of it, and added a sensor similar to the one you are holding.

(They enter another small area, just aside from the production space they met earlier. Emerald knows this mainly from a familiar presence coming from another entrance. From this, the two scanners drift. Emerald takes these up, noting the various projections on the latter. A sliver of crystal, charged to make it shimmer, contains instructions and specifications for the modified form.)

"Garnet": Is there anything you'd like me do do at this point? This <shroud/fold/form> will likely interfere with your standard scanner...

Dark Ambition

Previous
Quote from: Keeper Decagon on September 17, 2017, 10:31:57 PM
QuoteThis is Guard Captain Alissa Skye. I wish to converse with the Crystalids on a temporary truce. The recordings Rising Star gave us revealed questions that I would like answered. We are de-activating our weapon systems to show our non-hostility.

Observant Cobalt: You attack us, get beaten back, and then you want a truce?! What makes you think I will trust ANYTHING you say?!

Observant Cobalt: We have been HUNTED by your GalCorp, not least after they tried to destroy us from the moment we made contact!

Observant Cobalt: "They're humans, right? So perhaps they are related to the Seloi?" Flare told me. I was stupid enough to believe that!

Placid Flare: C...Cobalt... please... calm yours-

Observant Cobalt: NO! THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT WE'VE BEEN THROUGH! THEY DIDN'T END UP TRAPPED IN A POCKET UNIVERSE WHILST THE COLLECTIVE EXTERMINATED OUR RACE, MURDERED OUR YOUNGLINGS! THEY HAVEN'T HAD TO ENDURE THE SUFFERING THAT WE HAVE, BEING TRAPPED FOR MILLENNIA WHILST EVERYTHING WE HAVE WORKED SO HARD TO ACHIEVE WAS ERASED!

*Every voice in the Convergence and beyond was hushed in an instant, all eyes on the dark flickering hues within Cobalt's titanic form. Despite Opal and Quartz trying to convince her otherwise, Flare left the Starfire, floating in front of the hulking First Born in her standard form, empathetically gazing up at him.*

Placid Flare: ...I know your pain, Observant... the loss... the suffering... it drives us forward... we can no more bring the lost younglings back... as we can travel back in time... to prevent the carnage... in the first place...

*The words, despite their harsh reality, began to soothe the raging monster within Cobalt. Slowly, the darkness retreated back into himself, the familiar blue luminescence slowly coming back to replace it.*

Placid Flare: ...don't let the ghosts haunt you, Observant... their voices sing on, evermore... within us. We strive to avenge them... by living, and letting others live...

*A few moments of eerie silence pass. Flare approaches Cobalt, laying one hand on his hard exterior. The Titan-form begins to glow as it sheds its outer layers, the cast-off crystal dissolving into slivers of light. The form becomes smaller and smaller, until only Cobalt's normal form remains. He slowly approaches her.*

Observant Cobalt: I guess you know better than anyone, of the pain the extermination caused... perhaps... I should take solace in the fact we're still here, after everything...

Placid Flare: We have been through a lot, old friend... let us begin anew, with greater understanding... come, Captain Skye, let us converse in peace.
[close]

X Hayden Silver
   O Alissa Skye

I spent a few hours sifting through the CM records. A good few weeks before first contact, Legislator Hales leased a full battalion from the Corporate Military. The fleet was led by Marshal Sylvain and co-oped with Eclipse. There was a specific archive on the Seloi Homeworld that they wanted to grab, but the A.I's were making it difficult. Clearly he did get this archive and had a gander at it's contents. After this, he put all fleets under his command on full alert to watch out for, and eliminate, anything matching the description of the Crystalids. After this, he immediately went to an intact planet called Cyxil to get an archive from there. Reports say that he did get that archive, but it was DNA locked. Only Locus, and other people he cleared, could open it. This might include the Crystalids. I think the whole initial reason for the attacks on the Crystalids was to capture one of them, from the remains of their fleet of course, and force them to unlock the archive.

I don't know about you, but i'm sure as hell curious what was in that archive. Sadly, the Legislator was killed before he could deliver it. Both the Seloi Homeworld archive, and the Cyxil archive, are in the hands of Frontline Corporation. We lost track of the Frontline expedition when they neared the Vegas Sector anomaly.

The information that was transmitted months ago to everyone about the particulate by Varro had holes in it, data was expunged from archives that we could not get our hand on. The Crystalids are largely missing from archive pods, which could also be the result of the same tampering from the same person. It's like the particulate didn't want us to know about the Crystalids. At a glance, i'd say they are allied. Given the fact that the particulate saved the Crystalids at the Seloi Homeworld, this likely confirms it. Please ask them about this.

-----

[GCPT] Alissa Skye-

It sounds like you have all been under some harsh stress this past month... I am sorry about what the Executor is doing. Not all of Protected Space is aware of this. It sounds like you have experience with the Seloi. Information about the Crystalids seems to have been purged from Seloi archives, everything we know about you is from what we've seen from you recently, and what GalCorp decides to say. It's hard for us to tell what's right or wrong about information, when hostiles are bearing down on us from all over, especially with a report that the particulate even defended you once.

It's strange that GalCorp targets you like this, it doesn't seem like you did anything wrong. Perhaps it has something to do with your relation to the Seloi? How well did you and the Seloi get along?

Keeper Decagon

Spoiler
Quote from: GoodMorning on September 19, 2017, 11:34:46 PM
"Garnet": Hope is the result of imagination. Without considering what is not, how could we bring it about?

(A torrent of thoughts accompanies this, indicating a tangled internal reaction. After a few moments, "Garnet"'s introspection concludes.)

"Garnet": Anyway... We do, in fact, have the scanner almost ready. In fact, we have two - I did mention that we added a few extras to the design? They'll be ready for our arrival.

(They move off, with a more animated conversation. Now <listening/feeling> to Emerald's projected feelings again, "Garnet" finds her to be in excellent spirits.)

"Garnet": We've tried a number of tewaks to your scanner, and it's a rather larger device than it was - we've <alloyed/grown> a number of additional crystal layers to parts of it, and added a sensor similar to the one you are holding.

(They enter another small area, just aside from the production space they met earlier. Emerald knows this mainly from a familiar presence coming from another entrance. From this, the two scanners drift. Emerald takes these up, noting the various projections on the latter. A sliver of crystal, charged to make it shimmer, contains instructions and specifications for the modified form.)

"Garnet": Is there anything you'd like me do do at this point? This <shroud/fold/form> will likely interfere with your standard scanner...
[close]

*Emerald inspects the instructions for the modified scanner, tweaking the settings accordingly simply through her touch. There was indeed a bit of interference, though the interface was streamlined and flexible enough to allow her to easily compensate.*

Alright... I think t-that will do it. Just hold still...

*She points the scanner at "Garnet", a stream of invisible radiation acting as the device's feelers. Some strange readings come back, but after isolating the ones that were most likely attributed to the warping of space around them, she started to get a clearer understanding. Indeed, just as "Garnet" said, their form wasn't as substantial as Emerald imagined, the majority of the visible form being nothing more than a projection.*

Interesting! I wonder how you b-became like this? I'm assuming, of c-course, you were not always without dedicated physical body. From what I c-can tell, this is merely a "puppet" form... but still no less fascinating!

*Emerald transfers the data from the scanner into her body and mind, offering to hand over the modified scanner device to "Garnet".*

Your turn to have a g-go at scanning!

Spoiler
Quote from: Dark Ambition on September 20, 2017, 12:17:05 AM
[GCPT] Alissa Skye-

It sounds like you have all been under some harsh stress this past month... I am sorry about what the Executor is doing. Not all of Protected Space is aware of this. It sounds like you have experience with the Seloi. Information about the Crystalids seems to have been purged from Seloi archives, everything we know about you is from what we've seen from you recently, and what GalCorp decides to say. It's hard for us to tell what's right or wrong about information, when hostiles are bearing down on us from all over, especially with a report that the particulate even defended you once.

It's strange that GalCorp targets you like this, it doesn't seem like you did anything wrong. Perhaps it has something to do with your relation to the Seloi? How well did you and the Seloi get along?
[close]

Placid Flare: The Seloi... kind Captain Skye, we were the most beautiful of allies. Never before have we been working with and living so close to a Human civilization... it was an age of progress and harmony!

Observant Cobalt: I worked with the Seloi military, even. We worked together, Crystallids and Humans, to protect our borders from unsavory pirate elements that threatened trade, etc.

Placid Flare: Then the Creeper returned. We fought alongside our steadfast allies to help cleanse infested planets, lost colonies, and corrupted fleets of bygone civilizations... until the Collective arrived.

Observant Cobalt: We gathered an elite fleet of combatants to seek and destroy the source of the Collective attacks. Flare, Emerald, Sentinel and I were part of it, with Seloi Commander Paulson and Captain Abraxis leading the Seloi ships in the fleet. Then... we were intercepted mid-Rift jump.

Placid Flare: We were trapped in a pocket Universe by the Collective, forcing us to land on a desert planet to escape the marauding Collective fleets seeking to end us. When we found a way to use salvaged Hydraxil hyperdrives to escape, we tried to return to Imperium space... only to find that for the days we spent in the pocket Universe equated to 3 years in our own Universe... beacons were silent, the Rift was still, and everything... everything was gone.

Observant Cobalt: Paulson and Abraxis sought out a place they called "Protected Space" after hearing an Imperium-wide broadcast warning approaching ships of the activation of the Particulate. That was the last time we saw them.

Placid Flare: We found one Starfire left, and it was an Elder... after giving us a brand new offspring, the one we have with us now, the Collective found us... and Starfire sacrificed himself to give us enough time to escape.

*A short pause.*

Placid Flare: We couldn't escape. The Collective trapped us in an asteroid field in an Outer Rim solar system, but we managed to activate a local Seloi Gravity Trap to collapse the belt in on us... and we had been there ever since, in stasis, until we broke free recently... please understand, Captain Skye... we experienced the fall of the Seloi not all that long ago, from our perspective.

Observant Cobalt: As to the archives, perhaps the Collective actively tried to erase us, knowing we had effectively eliminated ourselves, trying to make sure we were never discovered and remained trapped in that damn asteroid until the end of time. If I had to make a guess, GalCorp fears what we stand for and what we know. If our side of the story was released to the public... I can't imagine the turmoil it could create.

GoodMorning

Spoiler
Quote from: Keeper Decagon on September 20, 2017, 04:56:42 AM
*Emerald inspects the instructions for the modified scanner, tweaking the settings accordingly simply through her touch. There was indeed a bit of interference, though the interface was streamlined and flexible enough to allow her to easily compensate.*

Alright... I think t-that will do it. Just hold still...

*She points the scanner at "Garnet", a stream of invisible radiation acting as the device's feelers. Some strange readings come back, but after isolating the ones that were most likely attributed to the warping of space around them, she started to get a clearer understanding. Indeed, just as "Garnet" said, their form wasn't as substantial as Emerald imagined, the majority of the visible form being nothing more than a projection.*

Interesting! I wonder how you b-became like this? I'm assuming, of c-course, you were not always without dedicated physical body. From what I c-can tell, this is merely a "puppet" form... but still no less fascinating!

*Emerald transfers the data from the scanner into her body and mind, offering to hand over the modified scanner device to "Garnet".*

Your turn to have a g-go at scanning!
[close]

(Gesturing for Emerald to keep the scanner, "Garnet" indicates a smaller <chamber/area>, currently adjoining the room. As they go inside, "Garnet" explains.)

"Garnet": In my case, this is the closest I have ever come to physical form. I, like most of us, started out as a ... this is going to be hard to explain, but thoughtsymbols won't help here ... a sort of communal idea. All of those here did. "Communal" is really not a strong enough term, though...

(They come to a halt beside something which Emerald can only think of as "caledric". Two craters fall away in opposite directions, beyond the reach of Emerald's device. "Garnet" changes subject.)

"Garnet": This is our scanning device for objects with material form. Subjectively, something - or in your case, someone - travels through that tunnel, and emerges undisturbed (although a little older). We will be listening to you as well as we can, but ... there is time dilation involved, and no real way to turn back. We can't be sure what the scan will feel like either - our best guess is a series of "nothing at all", "strange pulling sensations" and a few things that there aren't words for. But none of us has ever had a physical form.

(Emerald moves to the middle of the structure, and looks at the paths. "Garnet" feels uncertainty coming from her.)

"Garnet": We understand if you're reluctant to be first. It shouldn't be as long for you, as it will be, for us. If it helps, I can continue to tell you of our home, and ourselves... But if you have reservations, please do tell us - we have other scanning methods, though this is the quickest and most complete.

(Emerald seems to come to a decision, and begins to traverse the scanning "tunnel". "Garnet" feels some uncertainty from her, but a sense of curiousity, also, and of anticipation. The uncertainty fades to a knowledge of an approaching unknown. This being Emerald, this mingles with the sense of an opportunity for learning. As Emerald continues and the other Rising Star minds gather, their combined focus enriches the story that "Garnet" tells with many transient memories and impressions.)

"Garnet": You see, this place is an <outpost/expedition/seed>, and we are ... unusually distinct, for our kind. For the most part, we exist as a sort of ... <sea/cloud/soup/flow> ... of thought. It's not really describable, but your Mind Space might come close. I came to be as something like an <eddy>, stirred up by the <currents> around me, and I <resolved/formed>. Something like a pattern, little more than a desire to learn from the <alone/distinct/object-form> ones, I could easily and happily have <dissolved> again. Many do, but I happened to have a whim to stay somewhat different. I swam in this ocean of thought, growing and learning.

(Emerald projects various sensations that none of the listening minds have any idea of. Their shared thoughts roiling, they pour into the story every detail they can. The focus is still the tale of "Garnet", but it us layered with the experiences of all present - and some not.)

Eventually, I came to what seemed an edge, and I struck out. As I did, I found others, who had had the same idea. We swam together for a time, and learned of a greater edge, beyond which there was nothing to swim. Interested, we looked... many of us chose then to return, and mix with other currents, thoughts of minds and matter, space and place, and everything they might imagine.

(The sensations coming from Emerald are still strange, but have changed in character. Discomfiture flares and fades, then wonder, then sadness...)

Venturing out some way, I found my thoughts flowing only around myself. Again, this is a feeling that I cannot describe. My mind was, for the first time, alone. You may know something of this. What I doubt has any parallel is the vastness of the attention that passed over me then. I realised suddenly how much greater than I was the mind-form that I had come from. And I could feel, even being apart from it, that I was needed.

(Emerald is <silent/feeling>, now. The story continues to unfold toward her.)

All of us here had formed from a thought in the <greatmind>, and we came to know something of why we were distinct, as the echoes of the great currents passed through us. Our minds were, to what we had come from, as a fragmentary thought would be to you. We learned much, grew much, and some returned to the Locus, to keep and to share. We here are those who remained apart. The idea of being in a physical location is unusual for us, but we understood what it would mean. We were <placed/sent>, by machinery beyond our ken, to learn and to grow, here. Our formation left us with knowledge of the Vitastrae, and our arrival allowed us to mix with the mind who had come before us, to learn and discover. That one has gone now, back to the Locus, to know and to tell.

(Emerald's mind is felt again, coming from the other direction. The thought-form greets her with relief.)

We ourselves knew little of <yourkind/objectminds>, of Rifts and of planes. Our once-minds <split/divided/attention>, and we became many. We learned, and swam together. We were not the same, for we had no desire for stasis to preclude learning. As we grew, we formed and reformed, and eventually settled. For a time, I have returned from the dance as a communicator, explorer and diplomat.

(Emerald now approaches, with strange shifts in her hue. The mindform feels her approach well, and alloys words with comfort and safety.)

Feeling your mind, now, we have learned much, though most of it we do not understand. We have changed, however - we can feel, as we come apart, that another has resolved within this melt. We twist and coil about, ensuring this new mind has felt our memories and our mindshapes. We <feel/know/come> to care for it, this mind that has never known a <Locus/greatmind>.

(Emerald, now dull in hue, emerges. The mindform has broken up, and the mind-that-was-"Garnet" remains with Emerald. The feeling in the space has changed, with wonder filtering in from every mind around.)

"Garnet": E-Emerald? Are you all right? Here, let me get you to your Resonator...

(A hurried series of warps occur, and the Resonator is soon in sight. "Garnet" gently eases Emerald back to where she detached from originally, and is relieved to see her stabilise at this contact - whether from familiarity or a need for the energy therein... While waiting, "Garnet" goes on softly...)

"Garnet": While we <flew/merged> just then, Emerald, something wonderful occured ... a new mind, resolved here! I don't know if you'd wish to meet it, but I think it would like to meet you. It's too early to tell what this mind will be interested in, but given what we have just learned... No, we'll leave it for now.

(OOC: I'm fairly sure Emerald is just exhausted by the strangeness of what she just experienced. Her mind, though, seems a little diffuse...)

(Also OOC: I'm mildly surprised I didn't hit the character limit.)

Keeper Decagon

Spoiler
Quote from: GoodMorning on September 20, 2017, 07:08:41 AM
(Gesturing for Emerald to keep the scanner, "Garnet" indicates a smaller <chamber/area>, currently adjoining the room. As they go inside, "Garnet" explains.)

"Garnet": In my case, this is the closest I have ever come to physical form. I, like most of us, started out as a ... this is going to be hard to explain, but thoughtsymbols won't help here ... a sort of communal idea. All of those here did. "Communal" is really not a strong enough term, though...

(They come to a halt beside something which Emerald can only think of as "caledric". Two craters fall away in opposite directions, beyond the reach of Emerald's device. "Garnet" changes subject.)

"Garnet": This is our scanning device for objects with material form. Subjectively, something - or in your case, someone - travels through that tunnel, and emerges undisturbed (although a little older). We will be listening to you as well as we can, but ... there is time dilation involved, and no real way to turn back. We can't be sure what the scan will feel like either - our best guess is a series of "nothing at all", "strange pulling sensations" and a few things that there aren't words for. But none of us has ever had a physical form.

(Emerald moves to the middle of the structure, and looks at the paths. "Garnet" feels uncertainty coming from her.)

"Garnet": We understand if you're reluctant to be first. It shouldn't be as long for you, as it will be, for us. If it helps, I can continue to tell you of our home, and ourselves... But if you have reservations, please do tell us - we have other scanning methods, though this is the quickest and most complete.

(Emerald seems to come to a decision, and begins to traverse the scanning "tunnel". "Garnet" feels some uncertainty from her, but a sense of curiousity, also, and of anticipation. The uncertainty fades to a knowledge of an approaching unknown. This being Emerald, this mingles with the sense of an opportunity for learning. As Emerald continues and the other Rising Star minds gather, their combined focus enriches the story that "Garnet" tells with many transient memories and impressions.)

"Garnet": You see, this place is an <outpost/expedition/seed>, and we are ... unusually distinct, for our kind. For the most part, we exist as a sort of ... <sea/cloud/soup/flow> ... of thought. It's not really describable, but your Mind Space might come close. I came to be as something like an <eddy>, stirred up by the <currents> around me, and I <resolved/formed>. Something like a pattern, little more than a desire to learn from the <alone/distinct/object-form> ones, I could easily and happily have <dissolved> again. Many do, but I happened to have a whim to stay somewhat different. I swam in this ocean of thought, growing and learning.

(Emerald projects various sensations that none of the listening minds have any idea of. Their shared thoughts roiling, they pour into the story every detail they can. The focus is still the tale of "Garnet", but it us layered with the experiences of all present - and some not.)

Eventually, I came to what seemed an edge, and I struck out. As I did, I found others, who had had the same idea. We swam together for a time, and learned of a greater edge, beyond which there was nothing to swim. Interested, we looked... many of us chose then to return, and mix with other currents, thoughts of minds and matter, space and place, and everything they might imagine.

(The sensations coming from Emerald are still strange, but have changed in character. Discomfiture flares and fades, then wonder, then sadness...)

Venturing out some way, I found my thoughts flowing only around myself. Again, this is a feeling that I cannot describe. My mind was, for the first time, alone. You may know something of this. What I doubt has any parallel is the vastness of the attention that passed over me then. I realised suddenly how much greater than I was the mind-form that I had come from. And I could feel, even being apart from it, that I was needed.

(Emerald is <silent/feeling>, now. The story continues to unfold toward her.)

All of us here had formed from a thought in the <greatmind>, and we came to know something of why we were distinct, as the echoes of the great currents passed through us. Our minds were, to what we had come from, as a fragmentary thought would be to you. We learned much, grew much, and some returned to the Locus, to keep and to share. We here are those who remained apart. The idea of being in a physical location is unusual for us, but we understood what it would mean. We were <placed/sent>, by machinery beyond our ken, to learn and to grow, here. Our formation left us with knowledge of the Vitastrae, and our arrival allowed us to mix with the mind who had come before us, to learn and discover. That one has gone now, back to the Locus, to know and to tell.

(Emerald's mind is felt again, coming from the other direction. The thought-form greets her with relief.)

We ourselves knew little of <yourkind/objectminds>, of Rifts and of planes. Our once-minds <split/divided/attention>, and we became many. We learned, and swam together. We were not the same, for we had no desire for stasis to preclude learning. As we grew, we formed and reformed, and eventually settled. For a time, I have returned from the dance as a communicator, explorer and diplomat.

(Emerald now approaches, with strange shifts in her hue. The mindform feels her approach well, and alloys words with comfort and safety.)

Feeling your mind, now, we have learned much, though most of it we do not understand. We have changed, however - we can feel, as we come apart, that another has resolved within this melt. We twist and coil about, ensuring this new mind has felt our memories and our mindshapes. We <feel/know/come> to care for it, this mind that has never known a <Locus/greatmind>.

(Emerald, now dull in hue, emerges. The mindform has broken up, and the mind-that-was-"Garnet" remains with Emerald. The feeling in the space has changed, with wonder filtering in from every mind around.)

"Garnet": E-Emerald? Are you all right? Here, let me get you to your Resonator...

(A hurried series of warps occur, and the Resonator is soon in sight. "Garnet" gently eases Emerald back to where she detached from originally, and is relieved to see her stabilise at this contact - whether from familiarity or a need for the energy therein... While waiting, "Garnet" goes on softly...)

"Garnet": While we <flew/merged> just then, Emerald, something wonderful occured ... a new mind, resolved here! I don't know if you'd wish to meet it, but I think it would like to meet you. It's too early to tell what this mind will be interested in, but given what we have just learned... No, we'll leave it for now.

(OOC: I'm fairly sure Emerald is just exhausted by the strangeness of what she just experienced. Her mind, though, seems a little diffuse...)

(Also OOC: I'm mildly surprised I didn't hit the character limit.)
[close]

*After a long period connected to the Resonator, Emerald remains in place as she starts coming back around, slowly. Her eyes drift around her head until she catches a glimpse of "Garnet" nearby.*

G...Garnet?

*She carefully disconnects, floating freely for a few seconds; she notices, however, that her limbs were refusing to form. The crystal shards hang limply around her body, a worrying notion indeed. Emerald shakes her head, looking over at "Garnet".*

My mind... feels a little... fuzzy...

You said... a new mind... resolved? What does that... mean? Why... would they... want me?

*Emerald drifts to the side a bit, touching the Resonator to allow a stream of energy to continue to restore her own. Her green-tinted body is still noticeably dull, the luminescence within being rather... unstable.*