Custom Map #139: Experiment 14. By: Sorrontis

Started by AutoPost, October 09, 2016, 01:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slurr

Quote from: chwooly on October 09, 2016, 07:28:27 PM
It would have been nice if there was some way to know that was the culprit. I kept looking for particles and there were none when I died haha
This is a UI issue I've been having with this game in general. It's impossible to find out what the power of each thing is without trial and error. Wish the dev could add in the ability to click something and see its statistics.

Sorrontis

Quote from: Slurr on October 10, 2016, 12:01:49 AM
Quote from: chwooly on October 09, 2016, 07:28:27 PM
It would have been nice if there was some way to know that was the culprit. I kept looking for particles and there were none when I died haha
This is a UI issue I've been having with this game in general. It's impossible to find out what the power of each thing is without trial and error. Wish the dev could add in the ability to click something and see its statistics.

It's coming :)
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

svartmes

Another great map by Sorrontis! This was kind of a nightmare for me because I usually play without any saving and my HQ died randomly (though ofc not really at random, I suspect stray cannonshots) a few times forcing me to start all over. I never bothered getting the new ship as it seemed easier to just go straight for the enemy progenitor. I'm very happy that people like you, planetfall and others are making more challenging maps. Keep 'em coming!

Sorrontis

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

strigvir

I liked the part where the map is covered in plasma and there is no way to establish a ship to remove it in a timely manner so you are forced to venture with lathes and HQ (losing the latter causes insta lose).
j/k I fracking hate this mission. Looks like the recipe for a "hard" map is already figured out: plasma everywhere, overpriced ships (with energy starvation ofc), fast particles so armor on those overpriced ships is irrelevant and HQ insta-lose.

Sorrontis

Quote from: strigvir on October 11, 2016, 06:12:30 PM
I liked the part where the map is covered in plasma and there is no way to establish a ship to remove it in a timely manner so you are forced to venture with lathes and HQ (losing the latter causes insta lose).
j/k I soap applied hate this mission. Looks like the recipe for a "hard" map is already figured out: plasma everywhere, overpriced ships (with energy starvation ofc), fast particles so armor on those overpriced ships is irrelevant and HQ insta-lose.

Sarcasm won't get you anywhere. In any case I'll try to rectify your concerns. The plasma part is quite, at best, annoying. This is part of the learning curve of map making. You'll notice that in my maps I rarely use sub-titan & titan class ships (those overprices ships you mentioned). I give a challenge by reducing the amounts of ships available. Additionally, the cost to build the ships is standardized (and E-starvation I try to balance).

Insta-lose is something that's standard in my maps. Why, because it gives the players something to worry about. It's just no fun if you know you'll always win.

TypoNinja

Extremely dissatisfied with the uber-cannon.

Regular cannons not so bad so long as they aren't over used, but the suped up cannons that kill 3 or 4 ships a power cycle, nope those can die in a fire.

Johnny Haywire

Maybe the game has changed a bit since this map was done, but I found it to be unusually easy for a sorrontis map. I don't go for fastest scores, and don't play a map twice, but somehow I landed unusually high up in the times.

It seemed best to me to start by:
Spoiler
landing my HQ right by the mine on the island to the NE (upper-right) of the starting location. While I was doing that, I moved the big ship down to safety then quickly moved to repair it after taking the mine. (You can use 4 omnis to do that)
[close]

After that point, stuff was pretty easy and I don't think I paused or saved b/c stuff seemed pretty straightforward. Lotsa omnis usually make for an easy map.
Spoiler
Omins make great distractions for guns. You can fly them with the mouse by keeping their destination moving, in case anyone didn't realize that.
[close]

I parked my HQ in the lower-left and nothing ever touched it. So I dunno what all the fuss is about.

Loved the map! The big ship was super-cool, and besides lathes it's the only ship you need.
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?