Map Editor questions

Started by chwooly, September 30, 2016, 04:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chwooly

How do you delete emergents when you are building a map?

Can you delete plasma by color?

What does paint under mean on the plasma screen?

These are the ones that spring to mind at the moment, Maybe I will have more later.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

planetfall

Quote from: chwooly on September 30, 2016, 04:16:58 PM
How do you delete emergents when you are building a map?

Mouse hover and press delete. It's annoying - V said he would add a button to delete all emergent sometime.

Can you delete plasma by color?

Don't think so.

What does paint under mean on the plasma screen?

If it is checked, you can paint plasma on tiles with land.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

chwooly

Thank for the quick response.

I have a map I am working on however I had lose HQ as a fail condition checked, I destroyed my HQ because it was on the map and then saved it now I when I load it, I get the message "Lost forever" on the HQ button and even though I have unchecked the condition it doesn't want to reset. Other then restarting the map is there another way to change that that I am missing?
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

planetfall

I know finalizing resets a number of things - not sure if that was a case that was anticipated. You could try finalizing the map, then putting the finalized copy back in the editor folder.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

chwooly

Thanks but that didn't work either, Seems I will have to start from scratch again. Just means it will take me that much longer to get a map on the board haha

But something for virgil to think about. How do you easily and completely reset a map to a virgin unplayed condition
― Robert A. Heinlein

Valley

Quote from: chwooly on September 30, 2016, 05:06:01 PM
How do you easily and completely reset a map to a virgin unplayed condition

Curious about this as well. How do you do this?

Relli

Quote from: chwooly on September 30, 2016, 05:06:01 PM
Thanks but that didn't work either, Seems I will have to start from scratch again. Just means it will take me that much longer to get a map on the board haha
Don't forget that something like this might get solved pretty quickly, depending. So don't just wipe your entire map. If you don't want to wait and don't mind starting over, that's fine, but keep the original somewhere, don't just trash it.

Kharnellius

Yeah, what the hell.  Just had the same problem.  Been very careful to save before testing a map.  Then I accidentally save it while testing and the whole thing is a clusterfuck.  How they hell did the editor get made like this?

What a pain in the ass.  Soo pissed....so much stuff I have to go back and manually fix and even then I can't make the particles go away.  Oh sure, I can hit delete particles, but they stay on the screen unless I unpause for a few seconds to see the explode animation, then I have more particles destroying my struc, instantly.

UGH.  /ragequit

Karsten75

Never play in the editor. Finalize, play the finalized version. Saves will be different.

Kharnellius

Wait so if I finalize a map it adds a map to...where?  And my saved map in the editor remains?

Curious why there is even an option to play a map within the editor.  Unless it is to create pre-established situations maybe?

Relli

Quote from: Kharnellius on October 17, 2016, 12:29:26 AM
Curious why there is even an option to play a map within the editor.  Unless it is to create pre-established situations maybe?
That's one thing it's good for, yeah. I would think it's good for on-the-fly adjustments. Making a really quick test of something, especially a PRPL something, to see if it works as intended. I do that all the time with CW3. As I'm coding I set things up so that I can test if the CRPL code works as intended. Fast checks, fast tweaks. I don't have to finalize and find that new file, test for four seconds, then go back and change it slightly. I also never save after these tweaks, so it always returns to its default state when I'm done messing with it.

Sorrontis

Quote from: Kharnellius on October 17, 2016, 12:29:26 AM

Sometimes you want a particular effect to be available within the start (damaged ships) so you let some time go to damage a pre-built ship. Then, you wipe the particles away, reset time, and go from there.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Kharnellius

Is there a way to wipe the particles and remove the explosion effect so that the start of the map doesn't show a ton of particles exploding?  Kind of looks bad.

Sorrontis

well, the only way I got is. Delete all emitters. Remove particles. Let some time go by. Pause. Reset Time. Put Emitters back.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

planetfall

Save and load clears all playing animations.