A 2-in-1 Post

Started by Flash1225, September 05, 2016, 05:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoodMorning

Here's an example that looks reasonably neat. Guess which parts are not good enough.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Flash1225

Lemme just say that being an idiot with scripts can be fun! I removed the image part the first time due to it compiling incorrectly. What happens while I test the script? Graphical error! And yes, it was just some flickering with the emitter, creeper, and digitalis (I got a bit of soy-lent flicker as well). Seriously, you know SOMETHING is up when a Unity engine game freaks out unintentionally (I've seen intentional glitches before!). When I do include the image part, the core just pops out of existence. Might be on my end, though, I don't have an up-to-date computer.
Considering how many turns my life has taken (good and bad), I'm still fairly neutral to it all. I take the hits, I don't react overly.

Grayzzur

Usually never hurts to make sure you have up-to-date graphics drivers for whatever video card you have.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Flash1225

So far it's been just that one moment of derpiness for me in-game. I don't even know where in my computer is this video card.
Considering how many turns my life has taken (good and bad), I'm still fairly neutral to it all. I take the hits, I don't react overly.

GoodMorning

It should seem to blink out. However, after 30 seconds or so, it should have grown back to normal size, then split.

I hadn't tried compiling the script, so it is almost certainly broken. However, the worst that generally occurs with broken scripts is that the Core becomes invisible. (Although planetfall managed to get the graphical layering to break completely by combining certain scripts and Ore packs.)

Flash1225

-Using your version of the script as you included it, it won't compile since the image-setting variable's current default isn't a number, so it's already broken because of that.
-I forget if I've waited around 30 seconds, gonna have to go back and fiddle around with the script some more to test that.
-I gotta see that damage! Oh wait, are you referring to planetfall's "cursed map" thread? Still, gotta see that!

GoodMorning

Here (attached) we have the variant of the Splitter without a trade-off. There is exponential population growth, and under the settings I'm using for testing, I need multiple Thors to keep the units under control.

What should the cost be? With this kind of growth rate, merely taking different amounts of damage won't be enough. The cost that was intended to limit the number of smaller units was the fact that Beams would kill them quickly, but if they're out of Beam range, that breaks down. Too much GetCoresWithVar or GetEnemyUnitsInRange produces lag fast, so dying of overcrowding will fail.

Also, merely having Runner-like units to hunt down is not enough. Currently they're more of an annoyance than a threat. What power should they have to make them worthy? Dropping Creeper is a stock response, but could be said to be overdone.

For clearing lag-sized populations quickly, I can recommend the other attached script, which wipes out every CRPL Core on the map without cluttering with PZs.

Flash1225

Sorry about my rather late reply, I've been out of town for the past 2 or so days.
-This might end up sounding like the Evolver, but make it so that the smaller units will die out on their own after a random amount of time.
-Can't say for sure on that. Maybe it should release several spores on death? Also, you still need to fix the custom image default:

$Image:"CustomSpore"
$Image_Scale_Per_Kilosize:1.5

-That actually sounds nice! Especially for map devs who use a lot of cores. (Now that I think about it, would planetfall's modified runners (emitters, flamthrowers on their backs, etc.) use a lot of cores?)

GoodMorning

Many. However, more than three Cores becomes a debugging nightmare unless two are running pre-tested scripts.

Flash1225

Anything complex can be a nightmare. Heck, even Planet-fall's corrupted forge must've been insane to do so. Speaking of which, I have an idea regarding that script, and it combines that script with a sorta reversed connect-all-totems-to-win script.
Spoiler
Basically the unit upgrades specific enemy units (normal enemies are static), but it does so in a slightly different way. Rather than gathering upgrade points from corrupted totems, the unit gathers these points from uncharged totems. For each uncharged totem, the point gain interval decreases by a set amount. You can make this 15 frames, or even 1 full second.
[close]
Edit: Now that I think about it, we may need 1 or 2 things for this idea to work well and provide an adequate challenge:
-Either we decrease the amount each uncharged totem decreases the interval by,
-Or we have several pre-charged totems around the map. This one in particular definitely adds to the strategical consideration of when to build your forge.