Large set of images on a Core

Started by GoodMorning, August 30, 2016, 08:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoodMorning

Hello,

I am currently making a side project out of cloning ChopRaider in CRPL. Due to the zoom limit, I find myself wanting to use the relatively cheap solution of multiple images on a single Core to create an artificially expanded visual terrain backdrop (this needs an artificial coordinate system, but that section works). My problem is that one Core can only handle 1024 custom images, including the main one. This means that a map that should be one-to-one with the normal map will not show up after the first few rows on a decent-width map.

I see three solutions:
1) Multiple Cores holding different map segments. (lag?, fiddly to initialise).
2) One Core, shuffling images and position to stay in place relative to to everything else. (Hardest to set up, but less lag and easier to use later)
3) One Core per map cell. (More lag, less fiddly, easier to add scenery such as trees, can disengage images when not on screen.)

Does anyone have guidance on relative efficiency? The second seems better on the face of it, but it depends on the relative benefits of running many Cores with tiny scripts.

I'll attach the map/scripts if anyone wants them.

Edit: This is abandoned - I'm reinventing the wheel, and I should probably create rather than copy.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.