Research level ?

Started by Rhadamante, August 14, 2016, 03:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhadamante

Quick question that doesn't seem to have been asked before if my quick search is to be believed : is there any way to know the level of any given research by the player's forge ?

Basically, I'm creating a rain effect with an option for the drops to be targetable by beams but only below a certain height (otherwise the beams targets the drops way too high), and I want that height limit to increase with the range upgrade level the player currently have. If there's no way, I'd just use the approximate max (which seems to be around 255-260) since it's not that important.

GoodMorning

Sorry, I don't think it is possible. The Forge and Totems don't have the same level of script control that almost everything else has. The best I can think of is to limit range upgrades artificially, and auto-upgrade the Beams effect when some collectible is obtained.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Rhadamante

Quote from: GoodMorning on August 14, 2016, 07:59:29 PMThe best I can think of is to limit range upgrades artificially, and auto-upgrade the Beams effect when some collectible is obtained.

I thought about it but it's not important enough to bother both myself with the coding and the player with the added task of collecting upgrades. Is it even possible to auto-upgrade ? I know playing with tech limit is possible, but not so sure about tech level.
But like I said, I just wanted to avoid the weird effect of having the beam attack something in the stratosphere. Putting a limit of 260 works just fine.

GoodMorning

No, I believe that upgrades are capped and manual-only. So unless we recreate the entire unit fleet, and packets in CRPL.

If only we had the capacity to have the entire thing in CRPL from the start. (One way as a developer to make sure you optimised the scripting language properly: Require yourself to use it for everything... ...ouch. (I think that I will, eventually, if only for the sake of the exercise.))
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.