Custom Map #2766: The Treasure Chamber

Started by AutoPost, April 03, 2016, 07:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knucracker

Here's the explanation:
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=22791.msg154443#msg154443

Steam has been updated, as have the non steam links (so just redownload to get version 801 if not on steam).

Karsten75

This issue should now be "fixed" for those on Steam and non-Steam users can download the update from here:

http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld2/patches.php

The story is here:

Quote from: virgilw on December 24, 2016, 10:57:43 AM
Yes, there is a new 0801 update for CW2.  It's an interesting tale...
In 2012 after the release of version 0497 I apparently fixed a "bug" in the creeper logic related to fields.  That fix was never pushed out in an update.  So the seasons came and went.  At the beginning of 2016 I repackaged CW2 to have a captive runtime.  That was based on the last source tree, so it had this "fix".  This version of CW2 was downloaded by a few folks who had trouble with the old AIR version.

Later in 2016 I released the CW2 anniversary edition.  This was of course based on the latest source, and had this "fix".  Problem is, some maps (maybe 1, maybe 10... I'm not sure I only know of 1) relied on the old behavior, not the fixed behavior. Map "#2766: The Treasure Chamber" is the map that broke.  The reason it broke is because it actually has a tiny flaw in the way the fields are arranged.  They allow creeper to leak out.  But, this only happens with the "fixed" creeper/field logic.  So the author never knew since it worked just fine in the game he had (and nearly everybody else had).

So, since the game spent 99.9% of its life with the flaw, I have restored the flaw.  That ensures that the creeper logic is as it was in version 0497 and all of the existing maps will work as intended.  It isn't a really large problem, since the game's entire history has been with the flaw :)  So, the prudent course was to restore that behavior and stop calling it a flaw.