AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #3375: map 61 BIG BICKFORD-5

Author: yum234
Size: 256x185

Desc:

yum-forum

Gift for weekend!  ;)

Cost of some techs less than usual.
For faster win, please, use "Bickford effect" (see Forum of previous games of Bickford series).

Good luck!  :)
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

D0m0nik

Great fun but how to beat your time? Expertly done Yum! I suspect you use the Bickford to full effect where as I still go at your maps in a fairly traditional way, never fully utilising the free AC

yum-forum

Quote from: D0m0nik on April 01, 2016, 02:51:59 PM
Great fun but how to beat your time? Expertly done Yum! I suspect you use the Bickford to full effect where as I still go at your maps in a fairly traditional way, never fully utilising the free AC

Because I created this map I know where possible "Bickford effect".  ;)

Small hint:

Spoiler
Usually "Bickford area" marked by place  without digitals for landing "loaded snipers".  ;)
"Bickford reaction" also can be initiated by "blue conversion button".
[close]

P.S. Thank You for rate "10"!  :-[  8)
If after playing this map reaction of other players will be similar I will upload last BIG BICKFORD game.  :)
last

yum-forum

Now came hater and rate "1" without playing. He not sleep!  :)  How much need to envy...

For example, in "BIG BICKFORD-4" history of rating at the begining:

10, 9, 10, 10, 9, 1, 10, 1, 8, 10, ...

for "BIG BICKFORD-6"      8, 1, 9, 10, 1, 10, 10, 1 ...

Idea: Honestly it would be nice like in figure skating - cancel 1 or 2 high and low rates to make haters unable...  :)
Sorry for this post. I don't like unfair play...
last

J

Quote from: yum-forum on April 01, 2016, 04:28:24 PM
Now came hater and rate "1" without playing. He not sleep!  :)  How much need to envy...

Idea: Honestly it would be nice like in figure skating - cancel 1 or 2 high and low rates to make haters unable...  :)

Are you suggesting a 'median rating' just like the median time? I'd love that (using more ratings than just one or two ofc, probably the middle half)

yum-forum

Quote from: J on April 01, 2016, 05:13:32 PM
Quote from: yum-forum on April 01, 2016, 04:28:24 PM

Are you suggesting a 'median rating' just like the median time? I'd love that (using more ratings than just one or two ofc, probably the middle half)

Thank You for replay!

Mathematically speaking now rating just is"median rating", but with unfair component.
Not the same as "median time". For example, if 5 players played map with time 10, 10, 25, 15 minutes and 9 hours,
"median time" will be 2 hours. But really game not so hard and long. It is not problem because everybody can see score and time and decide to play or not to play.  :)  And one more: impossible without playing falsify "median time".
In case of CW3 rating main problem is that WITHOUT SUBMITTING SCORE (PLAYING GAME) POSSIBLE RATE MAP!
Haters rate "1" and it not visible for everybody, but according "median rating" rating become low and game seems not interesting and good...
My idea very simple - make not possible rate game if somebody not played it.

P.S. In real democratic countries have banned anonymous denunciations. That is justice...  :)
P.P.S. As wrote Virgiwl: system must "helping map makers make better maps".

last

GoodMorning

What you describe for the current system is called the "mean" rating. The "median" rating is the middle component/s of a sorted list. The "mean" is the sum divided by the number of entries.

It could be good to drop the top and bottom quarters of ratings, but only when there are a reasonable number.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

chwooly

I have never rated a map I have not attempted but because of my playing style or lack of ability there are maps I will never be able to finish. Does this mean I should not be able to say what I think of the map?

My average given score is around 7,  However there are maps where I put 1 because I can't even get started. I know I can ask for hints and spoilers however that is not always sufficient to beat a map and that doesn't mean I enjoyed the map even if I have beaten it.

1 other thing I would like is to be able to put NR on a map I have previously rated. even if I didn't beat it.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

J

Quote from: chwooly on April 03, 2016, 02:23:31 AM
1 other thing I would like is to be able to put NR on a map I have previously rated. even if I didn't beat it.
This is already possible in CW3.

Quote from: GoodMorning on April 01, 2016, 09:55:56 PM
What you describe for the current system is called the "mean" rating. The "median" rating is the middle component/s of a sorted list. The "mean" is the sum divided by the number of entries.

It could be good to drop the top and bottom quarters of ratings, but only when there are a reasonable number.
yum described the 'average' time, 'mean' is the component that appears most (so 1, 1, 1, 9, 9, 10, 10 will result in 1). EDIT: sorry, thanks GoodMorning For the reason described average time is no longer displayed in CW3, but the median time. The average rating without the top and bottom quarters is exactly what I was thinking.

GoodMorning

The definition I have is:

Mean: sum on number
Median: middle of sorted list
Mode: most frequent number

So we may have been talking at cross purposes...

I think the ratings as they are are useful, but could be improved. Should we take this discussion up elsewhere? I feel that it doesn't suit CS Discussion, possibly custom map/gameplay discussion? At the least we shouldn't clutter the thread for this map.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.