Custom Map #1599: Arc Eternal Redemption - Power Supply. By: Hubs

Started by AutoPost, January 13, 2015, 01:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1599: Arc Eternal Redemption - Power Supply

Author: Hubs
Size: 128x90

Desc:
Arc Eternal Redemption: Power Supply (Part 3) Relive the campaign as the creeper! Reclaim the worlds cleansed by Abraxis and get redemption. This mission places you on the planet Telos in the Abitus sector. There is a base with many cannon and mortor defenses. You command the Loki Hive. Control the creeper and destroy everything you see. Cut off the enemies power and make their defenses useless... #PlayAsCreeper #PACRedemption

stdout

Very nicely captured the "starve them of power" mechanic. At the end I was right at their base and they were doing their very best to hold position, but the power just wasn't there and the lights were blinking on and off. Finally the power gave out entirely and an ocean of creeper flooded in. What a rush!! Great map.

Linden

J

Spoiler
Took me a lot of time to get from one to three PZ's. Took all the land I could get with a spore tower and digi (down to the PZ reactor), but there's probably a much faster way. Looks like I should have gone left first.
[close]
Those PZ beams were just in the correct position to make endgame harder without making the start harder (or more obvious) than it needs to be. I still wonder how PAC maps could be more of a puzzle without adding extra crpl, something I might try someday.

Hubs

For anyone having a hard time with the start:
Spoiler

I started by clearing alot of the cannons below the starting emitter and filling with digitalis so they don't rebuild. Then I went to the west to grab the PZ there. Make sure you have both totems for the field - you should be able to barely get digitalis over there and quickly build an emitter. Once you get it support it and try to get a bit of digitalis build around it (especially where the nullifier builds so you don't have to worry about losing it). Honestly even if it does get nullified the digitalis should grow quickly and you can just rebuild. Now you should have enough to push towards the PZ to the south east. I built an emitter there than changed the starting emitter to a spore tower to take out the right side.

For the late game, I mostly just used emitters. Once the right side is fully taken (including the PZ'd beam), take the left side starting at the top. Once you have everything outside the base you should be able to fully support an emitter on the side and breach through once their power starts failing.
[close]

stdout

Spoiler
In my play I took the two northeast PZs before taking the reactor PZ on the eastern edge. I did this by pushing just enough creeper in to cut off the entire northeast corner from the network.
[close]

Hubs

Quote from: Linden on January 13, 2015, 02:46:52 PM
Loving these, Hubs - thank you very much! :D

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback on this series! I'm glad many are enjoying it and it's been really fun to create and design these maps.

4xC

You really nailed the whole concept together. It was not too hard and not too easy at the same time.

By making it that way, you guaranteed maximum enjoyment when everything but the walls have been secured. Total destruction at that point! :D
C,C,C,C

stdout

4xC is right. This is a good model for PAC map makers. The game is most enjoyable when there are few roadblocks, multiple paths to victory, and a minimum of dead ends. You really nailed it with this one, Hubs.

thumbmaster

We love this series and hope that you'd continue with the rest.  ;D
Twas a sad day when we mothballed Creeper World for Particle Fleet.

Xeos

I loved this map :) The start was just brilliant and well balanced and needed a bit of thought and cunning to get through it . After that, looking at the best methods to take out the power supply is something I also enjoyed and then the end is quick and decisive once you've 'cracked it'. :)

You have a knack at getting the balance of your maps spot on for player power vs enemy resistance which I admire greatly.

Great job Hubs  8)

A child of 5 could beat this map ... Go fetch a child of 5 !

Hubs

Quote from: thumbmaster on January 13, 2015, 11:23:54 PM
We love this series and hope that you'd continue with the rest.  ;D

That's the plan.  Only 20 more to go...

sky_killer

i am loving these PAC maps, n waiting for ur next map in he series.
there r hundreds of people eagerly waiting for ur next map

Hubs

Thanks, I'm eagerly waiting for it too :)

Next map I'm working on is a stand alone map, which I'm hoping to get out by tomorrow. So it will be a few more days until I get around to part 4.

Levi

As someone just learning the rules of PAC maps, this was a lot of fun.  Much figuring out, and entertaining as I went.