Custom Map #1517: La la la la, Weaponry!. By: planetfall

Started by AutoPost, December 23, 2014, 02:00:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WarriorKitten

I cannot for the life of me even get started on this map. I'm finding it absolutely impossible. Can anyone tell me how the hell I do this?

I've tried setting up on different platforms and building two bases. I've tried putting all my CN's on one platform. I've tried putting all my CN's on the OTHER platform.

But every time, either I'm overrun by Creeper, or the bloody Missiles blow up my defenses.

GoodMorning

First and foremost, make sure you understand the exact capabilities of the special units. Playing anything marked "planetfall" from the start of CS helps, though you can skip "Fourth Time's the Charm" for this purpose. If you beat Turkos Prime, you know what you need to.

I don't recall exactly how I beat this, but here is what I do recall:

Two bases, to use all of that starting energy. Build toward the back, to avoid the small launchers firing. Sanctuary Shields can make you burn-proof later.

It is possible to stabilise, taking out only the Emitters that are all but on top of the defences. You can eventually merge the defence lines along the middle. Then rebuild the terrain and press forward.

At this point, you are stable. But never believe that you have enough Beams or power.

One other note: I seem to recall that I kept the less powerful Forge on the lower island alive, taking almost 100% of the Aether with four Drones to fill my forge.

I hope this helps. If not, planetfall may have more to say, I haven't played the map in a while.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

planetfall

You can buy yourself a little time with the shield ship. The basic repulsion field operates for free. Feeding it ammo will increase the field's strength and give it the missile-blocking Sanctuary.

GM's forge strategy is a solid one, so long as you don't mind giving up an early power zone for your bertha.

It's been a while since I've looked at this map as well, but if the big launcher is giving you trouble, the ship's Sanctuary Shield has enough health to exactly block the main missile. You do have to get the ship directly on top of the launcher's mouth before it fires, though. Otherwise the mini distractor launchers on the main missile will hit the shield first, leaving it unable to stop the dreadnought. Also note that the damage will take the shield offline before it can block the fire blast, meaning the ship will take some damage. I don't recall if it regens health fast enough to keep doing this forever, but if not, you will lose the mission if the ship gets destroyed.

The aether drones are more or less an absolute must. Connect to the ones you have once you have enough power to use them. They're the only way to get renewable aether before securing most of the bottom (and it sounds like you're dying before that.)

The amount of ore you can get out of factories is frankly OP. This is a good map for a lot of bombers. If you find yourself getting destroyed by missiles, an early factory may also be a good idea to quickly replace lost units and/or quickly pump out beams.

The fire rate upgrade also improves the amount of damage a beam can do per unit of energy, and you'll be using beams a lot, so getting that upgrade when energy is tight isn't nearly as stupid of an idea as it sounds.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

WarriorKitten

Ok I found a ship with a shield, but I can't power it.

I'm still having the same problem. I can't build up a big enough base before I'm overrun. I don't have enough power to keep my defenses active and I can't build reactor's fast enough. I was holding my own and could have worked from there, but Spores got into my base because I didn't have any Beam towers up.

I have an attached screenshot of my setup as I died.

planetfall

You have giant reserves of AC in that screenshot. Use some of it, or don't bother mining ore early and focus your energy on other things. Build up your energy production before connecting to the drones, and build a forge to take advantage of the free aether crystals. Also, where you have the shield ship isn't doing you any favors. Put it somewhere that it would hold the creeper off your bases.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

WarriorKitten

I have all that AC because all the other times I tried to use it didn't work. It doesn't hold off the creeper as well as I'd like it to.

I tried not connecting to the drones too, it helped with energy but it's hard to move my network around them without connecting.

I can't build a forge because A: I don't have enough energy to do so, I'd die before it gets up and B: I've tried it before, it doesn't help.

The shield ship is there because I can't do anything with it. Power is my main issue. I can't build up a big enough power reserve.

planetfall

The ship produces a weaker field even when unpowered. You can also disable the custom things to save power with the disarm control.

Vidja.

WarriorKitten

Thank you. I didn't realise the ship repelled creeper.

WarriorKitten

Ok, I have a foothold and I'm steadily pushing forward. But the gigantic missiles are tearing up the map and I'm afraid I'll lose it all before I can do anything significant.

Edit:
I had to abort the mission. The gigantic missiles tore the terrain apart and I couldn't get my defence moving forward. They also tore apart my pre-existing defences and the creeper was able to push me back.

GoodMorning

Beams. And power.

And Ptero-formers, which you will require later in any case.

Sanctuary Shields can also take the odd missile.

WarriorKitten

I'm giving up on this map, no matter how hard I try I cannot get a decent foothold on the island. I'm either overrun by creeper or the gigantic missiles tear up too much of the map which means I can't move forward.

I like this series and I liked all the other maps, but this map is just way too difficult. It wouldn't be so bad if the gigantic missile didn't create void. I'd rather have this map with the giant missile able to set terrain down to 1, but not create void. Because too many of those missiles and you have to abort, you can't proceed.

I've gotten close so many times only to realise there's too much void and I can't proceed.

GoodMorning

Hmm... Maybe someone will record a playthrough. It won't be me, though.