alpha - cavemaniac - runner wash

Started by hbarudi, July 03, 2014, 12:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wondernuts

I (finally) finished this map today. Took about 40 mins but I made several mistakes. Just a few points to add to those already made:

Beginning:
Spread out your CMs at initial deployment and DO NOT connect them to each other with collectors at first. I placed one near each end and one in the middle. This was the only way I could get the spore towers before getting overwhelmed by runners. Then connect them. I used my middle CM to build reactors and snipers, which I then moved outwards. See attached for my setup 2 mins into the map.

Midgame:
Get the forge up and start upgrading energy and weapons. I could've played this smarter/faster, but I didn't realize how crucial strafers (3 per side) were to keep the creep off the sides. I had to move my CMs inwards a bit while I built up strafers and two berthas (firing at diagonal corners), and continued upgrading. Remember you can take your snipers airborne and they can pick up ammo while in motion; this is a useful trick if they are getting hit too hard by runners. Remember to grab the extra totems using relays as soon as feasible if you want to accelerate to late game faster. See attached for my setup at 21 mins.

Late game:
Once you have upgraded fire rate and range twice and have enough energy to support your strafers, snipers, and berthas, it's all over. I ended with 4 berthas (one per emitter) and 8 strafers (I would focus 4 on a corner emitter in order to clear it enough to nullify).

Nice map. Quite satisfying to finally beat it...after much profanity and restarting.

Cavemaniac

I'm glad people are still playing this map, and finding it a challenge after all this time.

I'm not sure I totally achieved my aim,  but I wanted to make a 'trench clearing' map, where strafers could mow down the digitalis by flying the length of the trench - this is the reason WWI trenches were zig-zagged!

I almost never build snipers because I usually find the mess and expense outweighs the benefit.

I prefer to cut off the digitalis and either deny the runners, well, the run of the place, or leave them to whiter and die.

There are exceptions - Bardel and tek's runner farms come to mind.
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.