alpha - cavemaniac - runner wash

Started by hbarudi, July 03, 2014, 12:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mefi

I played this map today to help you. I have no idea what I did first time but this time I did it this way.
That's my landing position.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=291842210
First you need to remember that you pause and not play RTS style.
Deactivate nullifier at start, wait for collectors then activate. Build collectors from left side only so energy from CN3 go only to build nullifier.
Build 2 sniper per side, then 1 more, then another 2 in middle then per 1 at side so at end you will have 4-1-1-4. During that you should always build reactors (1 and later 2).
There is nice trick to runners - you can build decoy targets. I build collectors next to my sniper units you can see it at another screen next to CN3. 1 collector in front or you can go for 2 with safer set up.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=291843126

Nephthys

Quote from: Mefi on July 26, 2014, 07:26:39 PM

I played this map today to help you. I have no idea what I did first time but this time I did it this way.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out. I still cannot get anywhere on this map. I'll give it another shot here in a bit.

If I ever manage to complete this one I just might hit you up for some help on Beau Jest! lol

Tjgalon

Sorry, i can't be more help, as it mostly, not much left once you gain a foothold.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Nephthys on July 26, 2014, 08:35:36 PM
Quote from: Mefi on July 26, 2014, 07:26:39 PM

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out. I still cannot get anywhere on this map. I'll give it another shot here in a bit.

If I ever manage to complete this one I just might hit you up for some help on Beau Jest! lol

Heh!

With Beau Jest, you'll want to pause it!

I'd not played Runner Wash in nearly a year, since I created it, so I fired it up again the other day, and (re)discovered that it's a damn hard map!

The big thing is, nuke those spore towers first - after that, good luck!

I was going to offer some pearls of wisdom, but since I was unable to finish it, I'm not the best person for that!
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

hbarudi

Ok, people are asking for a walkthrough, here it is inside spoiler:
About my previous posts:
When I say phantom, remember creeper world 2 when those things that come from enemy structure and need something like the beam or phantom coil, or else they drop creeper and kill your stuff in the middle of your base.
Berthas were built in the late game to quickly kill the creeper on the opposite side
The Guppy was built to allow me to remote nullify the emitters whenever my strafers damaged the creeper enough to allow me to nullify an emitter.
Disabled items: ore mine, siphon, blaster, mortar, and thor.
This is possibly the hardest map in the whole alpha sector at least for me, but it depends on how people feel.
Spoiler

1. Start like TJgalon's first screen shot.
2. observe TJgalon's second screen shot, notice the stuff that are to be built 2 snipers (cost only 25 packets each very important) a reactor and the forge which is important, the middle command node connects 2 totems for use with forge.
3. retreat your left and right command nodes by deleting the third collector away from the middle command node and move your two side command nodes next to the second collector away from the middle commandnode this will make your base smaller and easier to defend.
4. At this point notice that when a sniper kills a runner or drone, it releases a small amount of anticreeper.
5. continue building reactors and snipers until you have 8 of each, difficult part, research energy in the forge as needed
6. get all non anticreeper related forge techs to al least level 1 each.
7. begin building strafers, continue expanding, and building reactors, a few more snipers, once you have 12 it should be enough, more reactors, more strafers, you need to get 12 strafers up and put 3 on each corner keeping the digitalis allowing the runners or drones to continue to be created and sniped so that you can use the anticreeper as defense against the creeper coming out of the emitters if the tunnels are overfilling, move your strafers to attack the creeper where it is a threat, 3 strafers on each side will cut an entire section of digitals, total 6 strafers required to do that. (When I was trying to slow down the creeper, I tried to use a sprayer inhopes I can use it to be able to use a bomber, but it didn't work, too little anticreeper whose purpose is defense when there are no blasters and mortars available.
8. continue your fight, research more forge techs until level 3 for red upgrades and until level 5 for other non creeper upgrades.
9. At this point, build 6 more strafers to have 18 total and begin attacking the emitters prefer if you attack either the upper side or lower side first, this way you can just defend from one side and attack another. Also continue to research non anticreeper related forge techs and bring them to as high level as possible, at level 6 or more energy you should be in the green and be having an easy time surviving the map.
10. to improve the anticreeper output, put a sniper in each powerzone originally left behind by the spore towers.
11. build a guppy, to use for remote nullifying the emitters as soon as your strafers kill enough creeper to leave it away from the upper ground around the emitter.
12. guppy nullify the emitters, you may need to bring a sniper to keep your nullifier working.
13. once the emitters of one half of the map either above or below your base a nullified, use the strafers to clear the creeper from the new powerzones and also nullify the runner nests closest to the emitters that were killed earlier because there is no digitalis allowing them to do anything.
14. once enough creeper is cleared out. build berthas on the power zones 4 berthas possible.
15. use the berthas on autofire until they kill the creeper from most of the map except near the other emitters.
16. if you haven't already, build relays to speed up packets to totems and berthas and the remaining active snipers.
17. use strafers on remaining 2 emitters to kill any creeper/digitalis coming out of them
18. guppy nullify the remaining two emitters and the berthas will finish any remaining creeper on the map then victory.
[close]

Nephthys

Quote from: Cavemaniac on July 27, 2014, 02:16:17 AM
Quote from: Nephthys on July 26, 2014, 08:35:36 PM

Heh!

With Beau Jest, you'll want to pause it!

So with Beau Jest I pause it, then what? Does it take over & defeat itself? B/c that is the only way I will win that map! lol 

I did manage more maps in your section than I thought I would though. 10/13.  Heading over to try Runner Wash yet again. Add Staircase 13 & Beau Jest & those are the 3 I haven't beaten...yet. Thanks for the great maps to play Cavemaniac! (I refuse to believe you're a Redneck unless it means something different in your neck of the woods vs. the southern USA!  :)  )

Mefi

QuoteI was going to offer some pearls of wisdom, but since I was unable to finish it, I'm not the best person for that!

:D that cos your map are great. It was flash of brilliance

I made screens for Beau Jest yday
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=292036115
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=292036544
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=292037050
If you want me to explain best would be to set new topic

Nephthys

Quote from: Mefi on July 28, 2014, 03:58:46 AM
QuoteI was going to offer some pearls of wisdom, but since I was unable to finish it, I'm not the best person for that!

:D that cos your map are great. It was flash of brilliance

I made screens for Beau Jest yday

If you want me to explain best would be to set new topic

Agree with Mefi about Cavemaniac's maps! Made me lol when Cavemaniac said he couldn't finish it. I know he CAN, he must've had something else to do.

Speaking of CAN... finally beat Runner's Wash! YayRah! It took me almost an hour :-[ , but that isn't unusual for me. The important part is Victory was Claimed. Thank you all for your assistance! The screenshots were especially helpful. (If you want proof I have a screenshot. lol  Or you can pull up the scores & look for me in the 50+ minute range.)

I'll give Beau Jest a shot from the screenshots MeFi was kind enough to post. If I need more help I will start a new thread if a mod hasn't already done so.

Tjgalon

I think i went ahead and nulfied the two emiter east and west right away, before really building up a defense to the stuff. Maybe even north. The map was not to hard, so it hard to say. as i not played it in a bit, lol

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Nephthys on July 28, 2014, 03:30:39 AM(I refuse to believe you're a Redneck unless it means something different in your neck of the woods vs. the southern USA!  :)  )

Several years ago I was working with a genuine Tibetan nomad (in London, England oddly enough!) and we passed time by telling each other what our respective countries were like.

I mentioned that, in provincial New Zealand, our idea of a good Friday night was to roar through the countryside in pick-up trucks, blowing vermin out of trees.

As a Buddhist, this horrified Tsedup, and he exclaimed 'Oh my goodness - you're a Redneck!'

Annnnd, the appellation just sorta stuck...

(for you animal lovers, please read this before judging)

Nephthys

Quote from: Cavemaniac on July 29, 2014, 07:44:05 PM
Quote from: Nephthys on July 28, 2014, 03:30:39 AM(I refuse to believe you're a Redneck unless it means something different in your neck of the woods vs. the southern USA!  :)  )

Several years ago I was working with a genuine Tibetan nomad (in London, England oddly enough!) and we passed time by telling each other what our respective countries were like.

I mentioned that, in provincial New Zealand, our idea of a good Friday night was to roar through the countryside in pick-up trucks, blowing vermin out of trees.

As a Buddhist, this horrified Tsedup, and he exclaimed 'Oh my goodness - you're a Redneck!'

Annnnd, the appellation just sorta stuck...

Thanks for the explanation. I should have known there would be a good story behind it. I bet you have a lot of good stories Cavemaniac! I've heard you mention Zambia & now London. Makes me wonder what other stamps are in your passport. Sounds like you live life to the fullest. Good on ya!

Nephthys

Quote from: Tjgalon on July 29, 2014, 08:44:50 AM
I think i went ahead and nulfied the two emiter east and west right away, before really building up a defense to the stuff. Maybe even north. The map was not to hard, so it hard to say. as i not played it in a bit, lol

Success again in Beau Jest thanks to your help! I just needed a good start because I kept getting swamped early. Once I got past that, you're right, it isn't that hard of a map. Just work your way straight up to the Inhibitor & you're done.

Possible
Spoiler
It doesn't hurt that you get a Thor.
[close]

Now... I only have Stairway 13 left. I haven't had much luck with that map either. But I'm going to go give it another shot. If I need help I'll start a new topic or find an old thread if there is one.

Thanks again!

EDIT:  There already is a thread on Stairway 13. I had forgotten about it...

Mefi

Congratulations. Nice to see that screens helped.

When I first time heard about vermins in New Zealand when I was teen I thought it's kinda amazing to fight for natural balance.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Nephthys on July 30, 2014, 12:18:13 AM

I bet you have a lot of good stories Cavemaniac! I've heard you mention Zambia & now London. Makes me wonder what other stamps are in your passport. Sounds like you live life to the fullest. Good on ya!

I took my nine month old daughter for a four mile walk today, and I found myself reflecting that my twelve year old Teva sandals had:

Driven overland from Nairobi to Cape Town and Istanbul to Cairo.

They've visited Petra, the pyramids of Giza, the great Zimbabwe Ruins, the Serengeti, Zanzibar...

They've walked beaches on the Indian Ocean, the Red Sea, the Atlantic and the Mediterranean...

My wife and I set off to see the world - and eight years later we finally made it home!

Had some a awesome adventures along the way!

Nephthys

Quote from: Cavemaniac on July 31, 2014, 04:25:00 AM
Quote from: Nephthys on July 30, 2014, 12:18:13 AM

I bet you have a lot of good stories Cavemaniac! I've heard you mention Zambia & now London. Makes me wonder what other stamps are in your passport. Sounds like you live life to the fullest. Good on ya!

I took my nine month old daughter for a four mile walk today, and I found myself reflecting that my twelve year old Teva sandals had:

Driven overland from Nairobi to Cape Town and Istanbul to Cairo.

They've visited Petra, the pyramids of Giza, the great Zimbabwe Ruins, the Serengeti, Zanzibar...

They've walked beaches on the Indian Ocean, the Red Sea, the Atlantic and the Mediterranean...

My wife and I set off to see the world - and eight years later we finally made it home!

Had some a awesome adventures along the way!

I find that wonderful! I hope your daughter inherits your wanderlust and has equally awesome adventures. Am I envious? You bet.  :D