Custom Map #72: Asteroid. By: Clean0nion

Started by AutoPost, January 07, 2014, 05:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #72: Asteroid

Author: Clean0nion
Size: 127x127

Desc:
Difficulty: #Easy Fleeing from the enemy Scarf Fighters, you encounter an asteroid field. To reach safety you land your Node on one of the larger asteroids, but your enemies soon catch up, and there is a great danger threatening to destroy you if you don't warp out soon. #CRPL : Scarf Fighters will bomb your asteroid and are easily taken down with snipers. #NoDigitalis #NoSpores #Sounds #CustomSounds #GetYourHeadphonesOn #CustomEnemy

Clean0nion

Don't be fooled by how easy this map looks! If you haven't beaten it in four minutes, your life will get a lot harder, and then again two minutes later... and then impossible at thirty minutes into the game!

Many thanks to all of the following for your testing, advice and support:
J
Lirianer

ThirdParty

What I liked: the new enemy; the map itself.

What I didn't like: the deadline.  It forecloses many of the interesting strategic options which the map would have otherwise offered.

Clean0nion

Quote from: ThirdParty on January 13, 2014, 06:00:02 PM
What I liked: the new enemy; the map itself.

What I didn't like: the deadline.  It forecloses many of the interesting strategic options which the map would have otherwise offered.
Simply put, it's a speed map. Even so, you still get half an hour, and if you do it fast enough you don't even get to see the enemy.

But the fact that you, the maker of elaborate real-world geography, like the map, surprises me.

ThirdParty

Well, I thought it was interesting starting in an area that I couldn't really control.  (It wasn't until about 25 minutes in--on a playthrough before I knew about the deadline--that I managed to secure the space immediately south of the CN.)

Clean0nion

Quote from: ThirdParty on January 13, 2014, 06:35:50 PM
Well, I thought it was interesting starting in an area that I couldn't really control.  (It wasn't until about 25 minutes in--on a playthrough before I knew about the deadline--that I managed to secure the space immediately south of the CN.)
Ah, no! Sorry to have to rip your game apart like that!
During the testing phase, neither myself nor J nor Lirianer could beat it. So, after extensive modifications including adding two energy deposits (the one beneath the Exogorth mouth is the default one), lowering the enemy's health so it takes only one hit to kill, lowering the price of snipers, moving the two nearest emitters further away and adding a trench that led upwards, as well as adding a wall between the CN and the emitter nearest to the Inhibitor, I eventually had to lower the creeperflowrate to make the map possible. Then of course this ea4031 guy or whatever the name is goes and stumps all our scores.

And also, I did try to make the deadline more dramatic, eg a flash of white, loads of enemies, but the map was done and I wanted to move on. In retrospect I should have added a shield key, but oh well.

teknotiss

Quote from: Clean0nion on January 13, 2014, 06:47:53 PM
Then of course this ea4031 guy or whatever the name is goes and stumps all our scores.

::) ha  :D get used to this happening dude, it's almost a universal law ;)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Clean0nion

An error occurred

teknotiss

Quote from: Clean0nion on January 14, 2014, 02:58:52 AM
Quote from: teknotiss on January 13, 2014, 08:08:50 PM
Quote from: Clean0nion on January 13, 2014, 06:47:53 PM
Then of course this ea4031 guy or whatever the name is goes and stumps all our scores.

::) ha  :D get used to this happening dude, it's almost a universal law ;)
I managed to cut my time down to about 17 secs above him - I can't get any lower though.

prob not worth it! he'll only go and beat it by a few more secs anyway  ;)  :D
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Clean0nion

Quote from: ea3401 on January 14, 2014, 01:13:18 PM
:D
I bet you didn't even use a single terp, you hypocritical-profil-picture-owner!  ;D

hbarudi

I nullified the inhibitor, but then the creeper covered the whole map after that.