Otterbears CW3 Maps

Started by Otterbear, November 28, 2013, 09:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otterbear

Just a start. Nothing in the way of special code just yet.
I might make harder versions in the future however, this was hard enough for a first try.
All maps are subject to improvement. (Scores may/may not reflect this, I'm not sure.)
Will try to preface my maps with "Otter-" from now on.
Let me know what you think. Should I do more?
Spoiler
Do the free Totems, make these too easy?
[close]

EDIT: Updated files should be free of spelling erroes.  ::)
EDIT: Added map Vulcan.
EDIT:I changed the AC emitter on Vulcan, to one starting AC mine, so that as you improve at the forge you can get more and more out. You may have to stock pile AC before using it.
EDIT: Added map Alamosis
EDIT: Made a number of changes to Alamosis. (Added some runners, removed all Aether stockpiles but one, (was way too much), increased some emitter values, corrected some of the dialog, and made some visual changes.)

Altren

Hi, I played both of your maps. I guess there is no feedback, mostly because even if those are interesting there is nothing special in maps to write about.

Vulcan was too easy, because it gives huge amount of AC at start, enough to hold creeper even without weapons support.
Alamosis was interesting at start (I started near big crater).

But then both maps were relatively easy and without new challenges along the way such huge maps are very boring after some time of playing. I didn't finished any of those two simply because it was way too long.

If you want to create common maps without special CRPL code I think you should try creating smaller maps, because such maps are usually have nothing to entertain player after base is set up and stable.
Or, try something new with CRPL.

Otterbear

Quote from: Altren on December 01, 2013, 10:19:34 AM
Hi, I played both of your maps. I guess there is no feedback, mostly because even if those are interesting there is nothing special in maps to write about.

Vulcan was too easy, because it gives huge amount of AC at start, enough to hold creeper even without weapons support.
Alamosis was interesting at start (I started near big crater).

But then both maps were relatively easy and without new challenges along the way such huge maps are very boring after some time of playing. I didn't finished any of those two simply because it was way too long.

If you want to create common maps without special CRPL code I think you should try creating smaller maps, because such maps are usually have nothing to entertain player after base is set up and stable.
Or, try something new with CRPL.

Thank you! Thank You! Thank You!, and again, thank you Altren, for taking the time to help me.

At least now I know where I need to improve on my maps.
I realize that Alamosis, is a bit too big. Hopefully, I will be able to incorporate some changes to make it more of a challenge toward the end. (Of course, this means that I have to determine where the end is for the player, which will limit where the player can start and create a more or less linear map. (I was hoping to avoid that.)
I like my maps to be flexible, so that players can try different approaches to the problem. At the moment, I'm not keen on planets that have a lot of "weirdness" or "hogtying/Crippling" the player. I try to keep them fun.

If I reduce the amount of AC in Vulcan, then the player is forced to play a certain way. *I changed it to AC mines(ore), so that as they improve at the forge they can get more and more out. Also limited the number of mines, so that they may have to stock pile AC before using it and there won't be an unlimited supply.

I never worry about the time it takes to win, and I love Terps, so this probably reflects in some of my maps.
What do you think of the Totems? Too many, to few, just enough?

Thanks again for your help.

TLMike

Personally, I find large maps to be meditative and soothing.

Otterbear

Quote from: TLMike on December 01, 2013, 08:14:01 PM
Personally, I find large maps to be meditative and soothing.

I like them too. It gives me more options to maneuver and see which strategy is quicker/easier...ect.

I hear a lot of complaints that maps get easier toward the end. I always think..."Isn't that the whole point?"
If your eliminating emitters and increasing your strength, then of course it follows that the end is going to be easy/easier.
I guess giving the player different or increasingly difficult options/enemies is the real trick for map creation. (I do not like to cripple the player as I believe this is unfair, and shows a lack of imagination in map creation.)
Having said that; some of the friendly units can be a bit overpowering. For example: Berthas can quickly tilt the balance in the players favor.

Altren

Map can be made harder after start not by increasing thread, but by harder places to claim. The only reason why I want to see this, because you are getting bored on huge maps, when destroying every next emitter is the same as previous. On smaller map this is not so notable, because whole time you spend doing same thing is not so long.

To make map not much easier closer to end (and more entertaining, at least for me) you can, for example use emitters in crater as start (those you are most likely to attack first), then on flat terrain, then on top of mountain and then add digitaltas there (and then fill whole surrounding area with them). So increasing spores amount/creeper income is not the only way. Terrain challenge is simple to create and good enough to be interesting. Also you can create low ground/holes in terrain to make less space for placing canons nearby. There are many ways.
And in case of Alamosis you used flat terrain for most early emitters and crater for late emitters, that can be claimed way too easy, because even few Berthas can handle those.

Otterbear

Quote from: Altren on December 01, 2013, 09:31:21 PM
Map can be made harder after start not by increasing thread, but by harder places to claim. The only reason why I want to see this, because you are getting bored on huge maps, when destroying every next emitter is the same as previous. On smaller map this is not so notable, because whole time you spend doing same thing is not so long.

Good point.

Quote from: Altren on December 01, 2013, 09:31:21 PMTo make map not much easier closer to end (and more entertaining, at least for me) you can, for example use emitters in crater as start (those you are most likely to attack first), then on flat terrain, then on top of mountain and then add digitaltas there (and then fill whole surrounding area with them). So increasing spores amount/creeper income is not the only way. Terrain challenge is simple to create and good enough to be interesting. Also you can create low ground/holes in terrain to make less space for placing canons nearby. There are many ways.

These are some great ideas.

Quote from: Altren on December 01, 2013, 09:31:21 PMAnd in case of Alamosis you used flat terrain for most early emitters and crater for late emitters, that can be claimed way too easy, because even few Berthas can handle those.

Just curious...Are you saying that it would be better to put higher value emitters on flat ground?
Just thinking out loud: If if do that, I would probably have to redo the whole map, as the amount of Creeper encroachment is pretty high at the start, it would overwhelm even the best players, I would think. (PS: I am NOT one of the best players, so its hard to say.)

I think I'm beginning to understand what your saying. It still means a major overhaul of Alamosis. I will keep this in mind for later maps.(Maybe a harder version of Alamosis.) *Alamosis takes me a tad under 2 hours, but I don't rush it. Some have done it in less than an hour.

Karsten75

A post in this topic has been moved to Support.

http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=22678.0