New to Creeper

Started by Altwing, August 20, 2013, 11:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altwing

Hey everyone.  I'm a member of Kongregate and the other day they had one of the Creeper games as the badge of the day.  I was so impressed that I tried them all.  I don't usually buy Indie games, but I've done it once or twice before, so I decided to come here and buy the full game.  Now I'm stuck on Tucana, which is probably true of where most new players get stuck (judging by the fact that the walkthrough for it is the top-stickied post here.)  But I'm enjoying the game very much. 

Thank you Virgil for hours of fun and entertainment. 

Cavemaniac

Hello and welcome!

Check out the blog for exciting news on the latest chapter in the Creeper World saga.

http://knucklecracker.com/blog/

Glad you found the forum - it really is an awesome repository of knowledge.

Look forward to seeing you around.

CM
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

thepenguin

Welcome!

It's always nice to see new players around here.
We have become the creeper...

Chani

Welcome....Glad to have a new member.

Altwing

Quote from: Chani on August 21, 2013, 09:22:41 AM
Welcome....Glad to have a new member.

Thank you all.

I beat Tucana.  It took a few more tries but I ended up just doing it quadrant by quadrant.  I was sorely tempted to look at the walkthrough but now I'm glad I didn't.  It was more satisfying doing it by trial and error.  Admittedly my time was crappy, about 40 minutes ... but a victory is a victory. 

knucracker

Feels good to finally beat it, doesn't it?  Tucana is the most loved/hated of all CW1 levels.  It's the barrier that insists you learn energy management and efficient weapons use before it allows you to pass.

Kingo

I breezed through Tucana my first try :P
I don't understand why people think it is so hard, but good job!

Welcome to the forums!

Altwing

Quote from: virgilw on August 21, 2013, 07:56:33 PM
Feels good to finally beat it, doesn't it?  Tucana is the most loved/hated of all CW1 levels.  It's the barrier that insists you learn energy management and efficient weapons use before it allows you to pass.

Well, I'm not sure it taught me any of those things.  I just conquered Vela in 45 minutes, using 32 reactors and 14 speed packets to simply allow myself to put down blasters and mortars everywhere.  I'm sure there are far more efficient methods of beating it.  I was smart enough to relay up a few blaster and mortar to that little peninsula in the upper northwest but it didn't help me out that much until I had a dozen reactors online.  

But yes, it does feel good to beat it.  I enjoy doing the daily "Evermore" maps very much, but they they are all rather barren.  What was most fun for me was doing those 4 hard level maps.  I spent all weekend figuring out how to get that 'virus' out of that 'cell.'  That was fun.  

As far as regular Creeper World "story," my absolute favorite was Corvus, as that forced me to learn how to best use relays and how to prioritize grabbing the farther survivor first.  I'll add Tucana and Vela to my top 3, subject to change as I finish it up.  

Oh, and thanks for replying, Virgil.  I realize I'm about 3 or 4 years late to the party here, but excellent game!

Kingo: Because the Creeper spreads so fast compared to the other worlds.  Or maybe it spreads the same but your elevation is lower and you get hit earlier.  Either way, you can do nothing on a map like "Fitch" for like 3 minutes and still finish up with no problem, but you've got 3 seconds to decide what to do on Tucana.  And if you panic and lay down too many collectors and too many blasters (which is what I did at first) you starve yourself and die and no one ever loves you again and your dog moves in with your ex-wife and everyone laughs at you always forever. 

The reason for this, for me, was that I spent 5 or 6 maps before using mortars ( I think you get them on Cetus or so?) and so they weren't my go-to weapon of choice yet.  That's the Creeper World reason for why I died in Tucana.  The dog just has no loyalty.

knucracker

You have probably seen this already, but here's my play through from when I was good at this game :)

MadMag

Altwing

No, I don't look at play-throughs and walk-throughs.  I'm a self-made man.  This is also why if you look at the Chrono-maps, I'm still down in the 7000s while everyone is up in the 9000s. 

But anyway, the map that actually taught me time management and energy management is "Gump".  That kicked my ass a few times.  I tried flying up to the 'cheek' of the smiley, I tried building reactors... it took me about a day to figure it out.   

Eventually I stayed where I was. It was very non-intuitive (as a newbie) as I just decided to power up as many collectors as I could, then I attacked the 'mouth' with a single mortar.  I built one blaster to keep the tiny trickle under the chin at bay, (and I moved it north of Odin City as necessary) then one-by-one built up 14 reactors.  I built a single other blaster so my northern collectors wouldn't get lost, but did nothing else for about 5 or 10 minutes; just built up reactors. 

There's probably better and more elegant solutions to how to defeat Gump, but as I lost to it so many times, I decided to instead focus on energy management instead of anything else.

Oh!  And before I forget, a general question: why are the Chrono maps on Kongregate different than the home versions?  Are the dates off by 1 or something, or is that a different algorithm or outdated version?

Kingo

Quote from: Altwing on August 24, 2013, 05:45:59 PM

Oh!  And before I forget, a general question: why are the Chrono maps on Kongregate different than the home versions?  Are the dates off by 1 or something, or is that a different algorithm or outdated version?

Indeed, Gump is quite difficult for first-timers.
As for chronom maps on Kongregate, that is Creeper World Evermore, not creeper world chronom. Maps are procedurally generated EVERY DAY in Creeper World Evermore, not pre-generated like chronom maps.

thepenguin

Quote from: Altwing on August 24, 2013, 05:45:59 PM

different algorithm, one that's designed to have different maps than the full version so that people have more reason to buy the whole game ;)
We have become the creeper...

Altwing

Trundling along...

I admit that this was a very proud moment:

MadMag