Weekly 5-Map Challenge - Famous Addresses - Ending 4/5th July

Started by Cavemaniac, June 26, 2012, 04:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavemaniac

This week it's famous street addresses.

Some real, some imaginary, some famous in their own right, some less obvious - but still significant.

I'll award an extra 100 points to anyone who can tell me the significance of all of them without recourse to Google. Proof required!

The close date is a little fuzzy this week as I'm probably the first in the world to reach the deadline, with our American cousins being the last. Besides, they'll be celebrating July 4th rather than playing computer games!

Map Name:Size:Complexity:
565 N Clinton Drive, Milwaukee, WILargeHigh
4 Privet DriveLargeMedium
221B Baker Street, London, EnglandMediumMedium
1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DCMediumHigh
4059 Mt Lee Dr. Hollywood, CA 90068SmallMedium

All of these maps should be possible, some will be very awkward.

I wanted a challenge, just let me know if I've set the bar too high and we can re-evaluate.

For extra bragging rights (but no more points!), you can try the address DethbyIT discovered a while back in another challenge, which still stands out in my mind as an awkward one - but do-able!

29 Second Ave Large High

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Wheatmidge

1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC Lies! It tells me there is no gravity but there is most certainly gravity. I don't get it

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Wheatmidge on June 26, 2012, 06:03:24 PM
1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC Lies! It tells me there is no gravity but there is most certainly gravity. I don't get it

Hmmm.

I'm showing 1g in both the preview and in the game it's self.

Post a screen-shot!

Wheatmidge

Or I'm just out of it. Nevermind me

The any build direction must have thrown me off. Or heat stroke. Or both.

Fisherck

I've decided to, for the first time in a very looooooooong time, join in on the competition. You all better watch out...;)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Fisherck on June 26, 2012, 08:04:41 PM
I've decided to, for the first time in a very looooooooong time, join in on the competition. You all better watch out...;)

Uh-oh - Fisherck's a bit of a 'gun' (Kiwi/Aussie term for a really fast sheep shearer!).

Wheatmidge

Weird, you are messing with the system, the challenge is normally done on sunday night. But I guess I can use this time to shave some time off my times, since I don't think I'm even in the top three this week.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Wheatmidge on July 01, 2012, 02:33:59 PM
Weird, you are messing with the system, the challenge is normally done on sunday night. But I guess I can use this time to shave some time off my times, since I don't think I'm even in the top three this week.

Sorry guys - my bad.

I didn't realise that these challenges went Sunday to Sunday, we started late, and couple that with my Sunday night being America's Saturday night (thank you Mr international date line) and we've got a recipe for a confused finish time.

It has been suggested that we extend the end date to Sunday the 8th to get everything back in sync. Let's call that Sunday evening, generic American time as most players are based in the US (actually, I'm guessing that last part!).

In the meantime, research those addresses, re-play those maps, and prepare your next challenge so you're not caught unaware!

Thanks for taking part, and sorry for the confusion.

Fisherck

Uhm... We seemed to have reached and passed the date for the end of the tournament again. Who won? :)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps

zaphod

Tournament Results

RankPlayerTotal Score
1.Fisherck59779
2.the master59734
3.Cavemaniac59543
4.dt4259127
5.Katra57330
6.Wheatmidge57309
7.ctuna57129
8.inept_celt51945
9.UoADeadeye43176*
10.Martin23800*
11.onyx12126*
12.TheSmileyCoder11797*
13.Spatchcock11204*
14.splifferton10705*
* Did not finish all maps.

Scores recorded at 2012-07-10 04:24:33 forum time.
One by one, the penguins take my sanity

zaphod

Quote from: Fisherck on July 09, 2012, 11:23:55 PM
Uhm... We seemed to have reached and passed the date for the end of the tournament again. Who won? :)

erm.......you  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) ;) ;) ;) ;)
One by one, the penguins take my sanity

Fisherck

Okay, I'll get a new tournament up then. It will probably take me a couple hours... The next tournament will also likely be 2 weeks long since we passed over the deadline again :)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps

Cavemaniac

Holy smoke fellahs - I can't believe how badly I dropped the ball on this one.

Somehow I got distracted and totally missed the end of this challenge...

Note to self - never attempt to host one of these competitions again!

Many thanks to Zaphod for posting the tournament results, and sorry to everyone I left hanging due to my terminal slackness - namely the 13 people on the list.

The internet makes it possible to mess around multiple people at the same time...