Custom map difficulty help

Started by Dark Ambition, December 13, 2016, 09:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Ambition

I've finished my first custom map, with some iterations between completion and this message. But when I finalize it to test it out, it's depressingly easy. This is the first time i've made anything of this kind, can I have some tips or something to help me out?

Sorrontis

This is how I make my maps.

• Get an idea
  • Make the idea, but in a way that it is impossible for a player to beat (aka no foothold can be set, no energy source captured, etc)
  • Iterate through subsequent easing of the map until I get to a point that I can beat the map in a time frame of 15-60 minutes
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Dark Ambition

That's friggin genius. I think i'll just publish the map at it is though, and use this way of making maps for my next ones. Also, for good story use, how much do you think i'll have to use PRPL coding? The class I went to was hell and I don't ever want to do coding again :(

GoodMorning

We are happy to help with PRPL, up to potentially writing scripts for you if we like an idea enough. It's considered polite to ask after trying yourself, but don't forget that if you are trying to make enjoyable maps for us, then we stand to gain from it.

For the general idea, you can look at the wiki CRPL Tutorial, which gives you the basics of what a script is built from. I wrote a step-by-step for something, which you can find here. You can also examine existing scripts by importing into the editor.

Does that help?
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Dark Ambition

I'm sure it'll help a lot if I end up needing to use it. I'll be trying to avoid it though.

Sorrontis

Quote from: Dark Ambition on December 13, 2016, 10:40:19 PM
[...]Also, for good story use, how much do you think i'll have to use PRPL coding? [...]

PRPL for story use? Not particularly need. But you can make some fun stuff with it.

Like GoodMorning said, the Map Makers are here to help; but do give it a try first. However, you can look at my page, you'll find 5 codes I've made for myself - you can use them as much as you feel. (Also, they are pretty simple codes, so you can use them as a learning aid).
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Stickman

Quote from: Dark Ambition on December 13, 2016, 09:55:00 PM
I've finished my first custom map, with some iterations between completion and this message. But when I finalize it to test it out, it's depressingly easy. This is the first time i've made anything of this kind, can I have some tips or something to help me out?

Well, you should also consider that you know all about your map in great detail - you've laid every piece of map, tuned every emitter, customized every ship for player and the enemy, so you know how to beat it. Player might misuse ships, pick different techs, overlook some clever tactics. It might be harder for players. On the other hand, players might find something you missed and map would be even easier.

For example, look at Squire by Sorrontis. I gave it a shot and I cannot move past first flip emitter - right now I have no good idea how to deal with enemy weapon platforms. I would probably try a couple more times later. And (while this post is written) ten people other than Sorrontis submitted their completion times. I think that given the difficulty of the map, everyone who completed it decided to submit his time - it was difficult map, they endured it and want their name in the list.

Then look at maps by FOXX. They are not too hard, although later maps amped up difficulty a bit - these maps have more times submitted, sometimes even ten times more. More people could enjoy these maps to the fullest, to completion. Is it a bad thing?

By the way, regarding PRPL - look at Nuhages 015. No PRPL by the looks of it (at least I cannot see scripts when I load this one in editor. I might be wrong due to inexperience), ONE custom ship, really interesting, creative and rather challenging map.

I think you can also ask people to beta-test your maps. At least you can ask me, via PM. I'm an exchange map addict.
=====> This is a moderately pointy stick. You need to poke me with it once in three days if you need PRPL from me

tornado

I have the reverse. Map is nigh impossible.
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one