win 8.1 file association error

Started by teknotiss, September 30, 2015, 03:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teknotiss

hey dudes, i have an issue.
my .crpl files will not associate with any program.
i can right click and run with notepad++ etc, but when i try the right click "open with" method it just fails
(the .crpl icons stay as blank page symbols)
if i go to the set file defaults in control panel i cannot see .crpl files at all in the files list
if i go to the default programs i cannot see notepad or notepad++ in the list
so i mooched about and found little help, but this seems similar
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-files/cannot-change-default-file-associations-in-windows/295ddbbc-9f9a-40a2-b3a7-ef4843a04726?page=1
i deleted the reg entries for notepad and word pad and 2 progs i failed to recognise or have installed....
(deep malware damage maybe??? hmmm don't want a clean install weekend! ;))

so to force it i ran notepad++ as admin and added .crpl in the "customise" which means if i click a .crpl file it will open in notepad++ but the icon is still blank.

i had noticed issues with firefox saying it wasn't default a lot, but i thought it was cos it updates so much, but now i think i have deeper default issues..... ??? ::)
so i guess the reg is having conflicts

any light that could be shed would be useful.
recently tweaked windows with some ware, but issues existed before and is unchanged.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus