Level 19. Having difficulties.

Started by Courtesy, February 22, 2014, 04:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Courtesy

Below I have na attachment of what I'm talking about.
I just can't win on this map, I've been here for two in a half days (which for me means 12 hours of gameplay). I lose the map at the 5 minute mark sometimes, like happened here, and if I don't lose it there, I lose it at the 9 minute mark when the other bunker gets flooded. I don't really see how to handle that given the rapid rate of spectre attacks and the drones that my blasters can't fight back the waves of. The only time I did get past the opening of the map, I lost the general way at the bottom ages before I could get there and reach him. I can't even start to imagine how some people do this map in 7 minutes... I'm struggling just to place a start 7 minutes in.

Now I'm not a fan of video's. If I'm watching someone else play and just copying their moves, I might as well just download a save... so, I'm looking for advice, but not an all out tutorial. Anyone wanna lend a hand?

thepenguin

Stop using repulsors.  You shouldn't be having problems with bunkers flooding that early on, even if you did nothing on the map.

Repulsors push and pressurize creeper.  that's not what you want here.  Makers would be a better alternative, if you can fuel them with ore.

EDIT: There is an ore deposit right there, so that's not a problem.
We have become the creeper...

planetfall

Spoiler
Put all your weapons to attack the surface pool. Only protect reactors, beacons, and tech domes with the phantom coils early on, your weapons can take the hits. Excavate the rightmost ore artifact, and block the enemy dig packets with anticreeper. That will buy you plenty of time to get some decent energy production, build mines on the left ore deposit, and possibly buy some tech upgrades. But don't wait too long doing that because the creeper will keep building up.

I think, and don't quote me on this, that weapon upgrades apply to bunkers, which is very useful since they fire for free.
[close]

From there, it's up to you.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

teknotiss

my basic advice for all maps:

pause the game (you can do this on the loading screen to start paused) and use "n" to advance frame by frame, you can hold "n" to just play the game while things build.
never go deep into energy deficit, just hovering around 0 is what you should aim for, at the start especially.
energy production is key, dig for space if you must, build reactors one at a time, and build as many as you can early on.

and a few start tips for this one, replayed it recently so it fresh(ish) in my mind.
move the Pcoils to the right and down to protect the reactors, dig down to the red gem and build 2 reactors. while doing this (see playing with "n") move a blaster and the mortar as far right as you can, the other blaster straight down.
as planetfall says the blasters don't need Pcoil cover, the 30 secs pic is just after the blaster cleared the creeper from 2 phantoms (one on the blaster one on the mortar)
the first objective is to kill the gateway on the surface, so get the gems and lots of reactors and another mortar and 1/2 more blasters and attack that gateway. aggression is rewarded on this map.
hope that helps and ask if you need some more screenies
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

bweenie

I just replayed this also. Teknotiss is correct: practice managing your energy efficiently and you shouldn't have much trouble.

One tactical technique you should practice is using your launchers to thin out the dense areas of creep, and stagger step your blasters forward to take ground. Blasters by themselves can be a huge energy drain and not very efficient.

Also, save the game before attacking the very dense pools of creep.

Courtesy

I don't use saves: I feel that if I can't handle it in one go I didn't really deserve the win much.
But I've got a screenshot of shortly before I won right here.

To anyone else trying to beat this level, i think the best advice I can possibly give is to ignore the top-right chamber. It can indefinitely defend itself from the creeper, so move around it and just quickly stop those other chambers from breaking in.

I've never been much of a fan of times missions. I'm slow and plodding in my play-style.

teknotiss

Quote from: Courtesy on February 28, 2014, 05:38:29 AM
I don't use saves: I feel that if I can't handle it in one go I didn't really deserve the win much.
But I've got a screenshot of shortly before I won right here.

To anyone else trying to beat this level, i think the best advice I can possibly give is to ignore the top-right chamber. It can indefinitely defend itself from the creeper, so move around it and just quickly stop those other chambers from breaking in.

I've never been much of a fan of times missions. I'm slow and plodding in my play-style.

if you a slower style of player you'll need to either a: get faster and more aggressive, or b: use saves, or c: both ;)
this map punishes slower players so you need to speed up and/or change tactics to win it, i had to change my usual play style for this map i tended towards slower play too once. ::)

try using paused and frame by frame with the "n" key? that can seriously reduce time wasted since all "orders" are given when paused
well good luck anyway  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Courtesy

Oh no, I won. Don't need further advice. I was just commentating that times challenges are not my favorite thing ever in these sorts of games.

teknotiss

Quote from: Courtesy on February 28, 2014, 05:01:26 PM
Oh no, I won. Don't need further advice. I was just commentating that times challenges are not my favorite thing ever in these sorts of games.

i know that feeling :), i generally prefer to play long sloggy maps, but some maps demand faster times, there's a map (Farbor) in CW3's story that had a lot of players stumped because of time constraints, including me a for a few goes (still haven't replayed it! ::))
later dude!  8)

Courtesy

Quote from: teknotiss on February 28, 2014, 05:16:06 PM
Quote from: Courtesy on February 28, 2014, 05:01:26 PM

i know that feeling :), i generally prefer to play long sloggy maps, but some maps demand faster times, there's a map (Farbor) in CW3's story that had a lot of players stumped because of time constraints, including me a for a few goes (still haven't replayed it! ::))
later dude!  8)
Funny you should mention that. I just finished up Creeper World 3. I found farbor... difficult, but after level 19, I was prepared for any time constraint :P I beat it when the building was charged to 99%.  I found the big trick was to throw a big bertha on the power zone, and to completely ignore the southwest zone.

teknotiss

yeah Farbor was tricky, i don't really like the time thing, i think i went for a mass unit assault with 2 berthas on PZ's, can't remember what the build state was of the enemy, but was just happy to finish it after a whole bunch of rage quits! ;)