How do we earn points, actually ?

Started by sabinou, September 08, 2013, 02:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sabinou

Hello,

While I'm nowhere close to the high rankers, I take some pride in having decent scores in Creeper World II rankings :)

However, I have noticed that some persons took slightly longer than me to finish a level or another, and yet their score is above mine. From this, I think that means the score doesn't only rely on the total gameplay time and items (like holocobes and jewels) collected.

Maybe losing units costs points, or producing energy/technology earns some of it...

Would someone know, please, about it ? :)

Grauniad

Gems and other resources (holocubes, capsules, tech, bunkets, etc.) can all have a point value associated with them. Many players play a map two times to get best score/time, since only the best of either score will be recorded.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

sabinou

Thanks for your reply, but I wonder if there's not more to that. When I finish a map, I make sure to collect every possible item, for instance.

I'll also assume every player aiming at a high score does the same.

And yet, there are times when players took longer than me but get a higher score.

See what I mean ? It must be somehow linked to our behaviour, but so far I can't find how...

teknotiss

sometime devious mappers have negative points for some gems etc "hidden" on a map with lots of gems. check them all.
otherwise it is as Grauniad says, the players best time AND best score get logged and they may be from different runs at the map
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

asmussen

Usually when that's happened to me, I've gone back and double checked and found that there was some sort of item that I had overlooked to collect. However, as has already been stated earlier in this thread, the time and score for any given person could be recorded from two separate runs.
Shawn Asmussen

ea3401

Quote from: sabinou on September 08, 2013, 06:52:54 PM
When I finish a map...

Can you give us an example? Was it a custom map? What map number?

Amram

Quote from: asmussen on September 08, 2013, 07:57:47 PM
Usually when that's happened to me, I've gone back and double checked and found that there was some sort of item that I had overlooked to collect. However, as has already been stated earlier in this thread, the time and score for any given person could be recorded from two separate runs.
wait, so run one's time, and run two's score could end up becoming your high score and time?

So its possible to grab everything and finish well to get a decent/good ranking for score, then just race through and to hell with extra stuff just to get a better time since your good score will remain, but this quicker time will replace the longer time you needed to get that score even though the score is lower?

That means I have some times to improve.......

teknotiss

Quote from: Amram on September 11, 2013, 01:21:48 AM
Quote from: asmussen on September 08, 2013, 07:57:47 PM
wait, so run one's time, and run two's score could end up becoming your high score and time?

So its possible to grab everything and finish well to get a decent/good ranking for score, then just race through and to hell with extra stuff just to get a better time since your good score will remain, but this quicker time will replace the longer time you needed to get that score even though the score is lower?

That means I have some times to improve.......
no need to wait... yes,
yes and,
yes probably!
8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus