Repulsors

Started by bigmac25, May 10, 2012, 05:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmac25

Hey Guys.

I was hoping someone could clue me in on good use of repulsors.

They never seem to hold anything back & seem to be a waste of time.

Usually, it seems better to build blasters and just destroy instead of even attempting to hold back.

I guess I'm looking for repulsor theory here.

Why use them? How do you use them properly?

Thanks.

Cavemaniac

The others'll probably give you a far more detailed rundown, but here's my two cents worth.

Repulsors don't work at all against a field.

Repulsors work well against thin creeper (i.e. not too dense).

They also work best in 'choke points' - i.e. in a tunnel.

They're remarkably effective at holding back huge quantities of creeper when coupled with a launcher which is ranged to strike just in front of the repulsor. I.e. turning dense creeper into thin creeper which the repulsor can hold back.

Repulsors can be used for special purposes like keeping creeper back, so you can set up a nullifier, moving Anti Creeper around, and interfering with a field.

Repulsors can make an umbrella, shift a 'waterfall' sideways and keep a path clear for your packets.

Remember repulsors have 3 settings (and the higher you set it the higher the energy cost.

Certain maps require that you use repulsors, other maps are just easier with them.

Try FOR's 'The Hotel' for an example of why you need a repulsor in your arsenal!

http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld2/viewmaps.php

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

2b3o4o

Yeah, day 16 is another great example.

Ebon Heart

Repulsors can also be used to cheat in custom maps which have anti creeper in pin fields. :D Aside from that, they're great because their beams can keep creeper back infinitely, where as shields die.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Ebon Heart link=topic=10528.msg69158#msg69158
date=1336677679
they're great because their beams can keep creeper back infinitely, where as shields die.

Ha!

Right up until they're overwhelmed by the weight of creeper!

At least you can keep turning up the power - until you max it out...

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

nic nac

never tried it for real, but the space invaders rising from the pit in the center on one of the story maps can be ripped apart by repulsors.
usualy it's a big mess if they're hit, though - prepare for fire fighting.
logical S... means big S... - me

lurkily

I usually find shields, backed up by repulsors, more useful against pins.  Pin fields, like the space invader, just splash against them.  As long as you can keep the result controlled enough not to burn away the shields, you can halt a pin field without a containment issue.

As always, though, everything's situational.

UpperKEES

Quote from: bigmac25 on May 10, 2012, 05:10:10 AM
I was hoping someone could clue me in on good use of repulsors.

They never seem to hold anything back & seem to be a waste of time.

Usually, it seems better to build blasters and just destroy instead of even attempting to hold back.

I guess I'm looking for repulsor theory here.

Why use them? How do you use them properly?

Repulsors in fact can hold back quite a large amount of Creeper. The trick is to NOT let Creeper enter the sides of the beam. For this you need narrow choke points on the map, or to use multiple repulsors (aligned or crossing).

Using repulsors instead of blasters can save you lots of energy. I have beaten maps with just a few repulsors during the first 10 minutes, while I wouldn't have been able to sustain a few blasters that would keep firing at very thin Creeper and not even hold it back properly.

Secondly you can use repulsors in addition to your blasters to make them fire at much thicker Creeper, saving time and energy. Try this and you'll advance much faster.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Grauniad

A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

UpperKEES

Quote from: Grauniad on January 26, 2013, 12:10:01 AM
Rip van Winkle, I presume? :)

Rip was gone for 20 years, I for just one, but I also left my 'baby's' behind.... ;)

Katra

It is also possible to push AC ahead of your lines with a repulsor or three. I've used that theory on multiple maps where I have to advance upwards through a field of falling creeper. Lead with a maker or three and some blasters; with one to half a dozen repulsors aimed straight up. The AC eats the really thin creeper edges allowing the blasters to kill more creeper with each shot. Leapfrog upwards as you gain ground. (The leftover AC falling off to the side also helps cover your flanks with a minimum of energy use.)

Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

Chawe800

Why this topic has been bumped so much...

Probably should get locked  :-\
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

UpperKEES

Bumping for no good reason indeed is annoying, but it never hurts to add relevant new info about a topic that many people look for. Better than having many duplicate threads about the same subject.

I think Katra added some useful tactics that can be a help to many players.