Terp to addictive?

Started by FreeForTaking, October 05, 2013, 08:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grayzzur

Quote from: steelwing on October 25, 2013, 11:19:34 AM
Quote from: Grayzzur on October 25, 2013, 12:06:12 AM
This was Alpha : virgilw : Sacrifice  :o

What'd you do, bury that thing in AC??  :D

That thing pops 1100 creeper about every minute. I'd lose a unit or two every time it popped. I decided to cap it before nullifying, and a puddle of AC seemed to do the trick.

So, yes, I did.  ;D
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Dragonbanes2

I tend to always build a TERP then make a height of 10 wall around me. Then it just continues with me building a long bridge to multiple emitters, my friend has diagnosed me with this condition saying I'm to afraid of attacking them head on :b

Nephthys

Lately I've been wondering if I don't Terp enough.

Which then makes me ask: When to terp? Build up or down? I know it depends, but I wonder what others do depending on circumstances...

And if you are a player who wants a fast time, wouldn't you avoid Terping altogether? It takes time & energy to build & Terp. Unless you are using a PZ to Terp from.

Ringo

I rarely use terp.

Sometimes on small maps if i can get the power for a terp but that is it.

Think i used it 1 time in the last month.

Cavemaniac

The Terp is a useful tool to have in your toolbox.

Sometimes you find a job that you simply can't do without it, other times it's an elegant solution, other times it simply isn't needed.

Just because you have it, doesn't mean you have to use it.

In the 'real world' (moving away from metaphores) I have two actual boxes labeled 'rarely used tools' and 'very rarely used tools'.

It's good to have a laser level and a spoke shave, but I don't need them on a daily basis like I do my hammer, screwdriver etc.
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

arandomhalo

Quote from: Nephthys on January 10, 2014, 05:53:06 PM
Lately I've been wondering if I don't Terp enough.

Which then makes me ask: When to terp? Build up or down? I know it depends, but I wonder what others do depending on circumstances...

And if you are a player who wants a fast time, wouldn't you avoid Terping altogether? It takes time & energy to build & Terp. Unless you are using a PZ to Terp from.

If you're asking this question it means you're not terping enough!  This coming from a guy who terps too much.  As you pointed out, the moment you build a terp you can probably give up on beating the fastest time.   I always terp up, rarely down.  I sometimes think about terping a deep pit to collect creeper for easy disposal with a single mortar, but it's rarely practical - you'd have to reach the area with plenty of time and energy to spare before the creeper arrives, so why not just take it and put it to better use? 

Here's a list of situations where light terping comes in handy:
1.  In the early game to plug a chokepoint or build a wall to buy time.
2.  In the early game to create farmland if space is limited.  I.e., you're on a small plot with multiple levels which make it difficult to build anything on.
3.  A 3x3 tower to allow cannons and snipers to shoot over walls or obstacles.
4.  A bridge to reach an elevated emitter with a nullifier.
5.  Build a 5x5 level terrain around a PZ to allow a Bertha to be placed.
6.  Raise a PZ to give line of sight to cannons and sprayers.
7.  Make a level field for reactor farms and Bertha farms.
8.  Widen out a wall to place units on it.
9.  When attacking up "steps" it's nice to have a single sprayer hosing down the next step you're about to move cannons onto.

Relli

Quote from: arandomhalo on January 13, 2014, 02:02:17 PM
This is useful, but if you're terping up a spot near the front lines, you need to be careful. While terping, the front row can start to block off your units, and then the creeper can push forward onto the back two rows, making them impossible to terp until you lower the front row again or move your units around. I've walked straight into that trap a couple times, and it's a big time-waster. If you have to try, start with the back row to block off the creeper and retain line of sight on the rest of the spots you're terping.

Nephthys

Quote from: arandomhalo on January 13, 2014, 02:02:17 PM

Here's a list of situations where light terping comes in handy:
1.  In the early game to plug a chokepoint or build a wall to buy time.
2.  In the early game to create farmland if space is limited.  I.e., you're on a small plot with multiple levels which make it difficult to build anything on.
4.  A bridge to reach an elevated emitter with a nullifier.
5.  Build a 5x5 level terrain around a PZ to allow a Bertha to be placed.
6.  Raise a PZ to give line of sight to cannons and sprayers.
7.  Make a level field for reactor farms and Bertha farms.
8.  Widen out a wall to place units on it.
9.  When attacking up "steps" it's nice to have a single sprayer hosing down the next step you're about to move cannons onto.

Thanks very much for the list. I expect it will help me quite a bit. And I will keep in mind the follow up info from Relli.