Micro Rift question

Started by DethbyIT, May 17, 2011, 07:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DethbyIT

Microrift - Is there a link to the specifics of using this?
(Placement, required raw materials, distance/spacing, etc.)

In one of the earlier games I was able to use them effectively, but not in Day 15. I can build them, but they don't energize.
Thanks,
dbit

Grauniad

Quote from: DethbyIT on May 17, 2011, 07:51:54 AM
Microrift - Is there a link to the specifics of using this?
(Placement, required raw materials, distance/spacing, etc.)

In one of the earlier games I was able to use them effectively, but not in Day 15. I can build them, but they don't energize.
Thanks,
dbit

Packets need to be able to travel to them to build them. Once built, they need to remain within the field of a beacon. Other than that there is no requirements.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

DethbyIT

OK - this was a "PICNIC" problem.
My initial rift was not built closely enough to the LS.
As soon as I corrected that, it worked perfectly.

Karsten75

???

You mean the direct path between the LS and the destination was shorter than traveling to one u-rift to exit the other?

DethbyIT

Quote from: Karsten75 on May 17, 2011, 08:03:43 PM
???

You mean the direct path between the LS and the destination was shorter than traveling to one u-rift to exit the other?

No - I was way down at the bottom of Day 15 and built a microrift there. Nothing happened. I built another about half way up the screen - still nothing.

It wasn't until I built one right next to the LS that it started working.

Sqaz

Quote from: DethbyIT on May 18, 2011, 06:11:21 AM
No - I was way down at the bottom of Day 15 and built a microrift there. Nothing happened. I built another about half way up the screen - still nothing.

It wasn't until I built one right next to the LS that it started working.

That's just because you need 2 MR's (one preferably next to the LS for the shortest travelling time) so they can be connected, otherwise nothing will really happen.

DethbyIT

Quote from: Sqaz on May 18, 2011, 07:16:54 AM
That's just because you need 2 MR's (one preferably next to the LS for the shortest travelling time) so they can be connected, otherwise nothing will really happen.

Yeah...I finally figured that out.
Note the reference to "PICNIC" (Problem In Chair - Not In Computer).
It was all User Error on my part.

Thanks,
dbit

Grauniad

One of the posts in this thread claims that even when you had two u-rifts, they were not included in the path algorithm. I've asked Virgil to look into whether there might be a bug if the initial u-rift is some distance away from the LS.

However, it is more likely that if we could look at the map where this happened, inspection might indicate that the path algorithm was correct and that it simply wasn't useful to use the distant u-rifts as part of the shortest path. I remember a very similar problem during early testing.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

knucracker

I'd have to see a screenshot first.  I don't know of any problems with the path finding and mrifts.  Their location on the map relative to the LS shouldn't have any affect (it doesn't factor directly into the algorithm).  Now, if the mrift was cutoff by creeper, or by an unpowered area, that could prevent it from being used.

DethbyIT

Quote from: virgilw on May 18, 2011, 10:03:41 AM
Now, if the mrift was cutoff by creeper, or by an unpowered area, that could prevent it from being used.

Hi Virgil,
I can play 15 again - since I'm stuck on surviving those first few minutes in 16.
If I can duplicate my error, I will post a screen capture.
I think the 'cutoff' comment above may be the clue. Based on the location of the LS and the mrift, there may have been Creeper in between - although there was a clear path to building it, there may have been Creeper in a tunnel (straight-line) between the two.
Make any sense?

BTW - if you haven't heard this enough yet, CW2 is about as good as it gets. Great fun, but it has cut down noticably on my work (and sleep).
Thanks,
dbit

knucracker

Yes, this can be true.  Packets can squeeze by places that full units might avoid.  Here are the rules:
-Packets are small and only look for creeper in each subcell.  So they can skim over creeper for instance. If creeper is in their way, though, they will refuse to travel into it (since they would pop).
-Units look for creeper in any part of a cell, they will avoid this creeper if reasonably possible.  They will travel into the creeper, though, if there is no other way.

pixlepix

For example, in 17, the packets can skip past the hyperdots but the units can't.
I had a dream that I was playing CW2. It was fun. But, I lost :(

Michionlion

Thing is, the hyperdots can't do enough damage to kill any military units
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!