Impossible Code Maps

Started by Mare, June 16, 2011, 05:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

Yep, that definitely looks like one of the harder maps.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Kithros

This map requires a rather unusual technique, but I believe it should be possible - I'll have to see where this leads me.

I built 2 shields over the terrain by the blue gem, and then I flew my LS over the shields back and forth to pick up the blue gem:

Spoiler
[close]

From there I dug into the walls, built a wall of shields before digging through the terrain and flying my LS in:

Spoiler
[close]

The main problem from here will be setting up in time before the drones break through - I will need to have a dark beam for sure, but I can probably get away with having a bit less than +12 energy per second and microing the dark beam + using some conversion bombs to slow down the creeper. I might be able to set up the dark beam in time with +12 energy though, I'm not sure yet.

EDIT: Was easier than I thought to set up, I timed lots of things pretty badly, but I just massed reactors and built up the dark beam. The creeper on the left side will break through and kill some of my reactors, but it won't go past the dark beam and I have enough reactors elsewhere at this point that it doesn't matter.

Spoiler
[close]

Kholim

Well... crap.

Edit:  I was also able to beat this level using Kith's method.  Albeit after about 30 loads...

xoft

Sorry for a newbie question, but what is this LS drone evasion you guys keep talking about?

Kithros

Quote from: xoft on December 15, 2011, 05:29:10 PM
Sorry for a newbie question, but what is this LS drone evasion you guys keep talking about?

Essentially just flying the LS in circles with all the drones targeting the LS - the LS moves just as fast as drones, so it can do this indefinitely without needing to kill any drones (and the gateways have a maximum amount of drones they can send out so there won't be any more heading your way). On a side note this is why I will always make the normal drones on my maps 1.1 speed (and recommend to other map makers they do the same), because it's a very tedious and lame strategy to use (but highly effective).

xoft

I tried running my LS in circles but it didn't work - the drones were 'cutting corners' too much and finally caught up with my LS. I guess it's about practice, then. Thanks for the explanation.

xoft

I'd say "Fulnek" is pretty impossible. It gives you ample time at the start, but then the map is quickly flooded with creeper, high-health drones and phantoms. I just couldn't find any strategy good enough to get a decent foothold.

Fisherck

Since you didn't mention what height or difficulty it was I found what I assumed to be the hardest one :) which was Fulnek Medium/High
I chose medium and not large because the surface emitters were actually stronger than large, there were surface drones, and 8 phantoms that went off about every 50 seconds. Quite a hard map, but not impossible ;)

Large/high would present a different problem because of the stronger drones, but they are also delayed, because they are underground.

Here is how I did it...
By the last screenshot, since I have my dark beam up (with at least 12 energy), I know I will beat that map. :)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

xoft

After about 30 restarts I actually did manage to take a foothold, so my initial guess was wrong.

And I meant large / high, just forgot to write that. Yes, the drones are delayed, but when they break out, it all comes at once - creeper, phantoms and the drones. And it's a hell of a work to get enough energy by that time to fight them all off. So it is possible, but rather demanding :)

Fisherck

Quote from: xoft on December 17, 2011, 11:03:18 AM
After about 30 restarts I actually did manage to take a foothold, so my initial guess was wrong.

And I meant large / high, just forgot to write that. Yes, the drones are delayed, but when they break out, it all comes at once - creeper, phantoms and the drones. And it's a hell of a work to get enough energy by that time to fight them all off. So it is possible, but rather demanding :)

I didn't really find that one as difficult to me as medium. :) I was able to stay above ground the entire time.
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps

Kholim

Fulnek is easier if you build the dark beam way early, and just pulse it to take down the drones (they usually approach in a line).

I submit let as water large/high.

Experimental map.  No phantoms, buried drones, ample crystal energy, 10m and 8m surface emitters.  No technytes, however.

The 8m quickly fills the left side and adds a little more oomph to the 10m positioned in the center.  You're unable to dig your LS into the right side, due to undiggable terrain near the right wall, and a stupid ore deposit right in the middle of the only other gap.  Even if you could, it would leave precious little room for an energy farm.

Edit:

And way blue ask large/high.

I was able to grab all the available crystals (3, for a total of over 300 energy), and wall myself in, but the right side isn't very conducive to digging in and shielding.  I could get about 5 energy, and part of a dark beam constructed before the creeper broke through my shields, I'm sure someone can beat it.

Second edit:  My last attempt at way blue ask is with repulsors.
Spoiler
[close]
Unfortunately it takes all of the crystal energy up until that point to set up, and you can't produce enough to maintain them.  Else I'd call it beatable.

Third edit:  Tell me when to stop guys...

farm little table large/high

No energy, no digging.

Katra

Quote from: Kholim on December 21, 2011, 11:24:27 PM

way blue ask large/high.

I was able to slap a shield cap over the opening (1 layer above the ground) and then - by grabbing all the available crystals, building more layers of shields, conversion bombs, and reactors all at the same time - finally nullify the surface emitter. Will have to finish tomorrow (getting late  ;)) but am to the point where victory is inevitable.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

Kholim

Crap I never think about cbombs...

Edit:  Beat it with the help of two bombs.

Kholim

once go said large/high

It's straightforward enough, limited space but ample crystal energy. 

Fresh start
Spoiler
[close]

Only workable strat I've found
Spoiler
[close]

Grabbing the red crystal underneath me gets me some quick energy, at the cost of a couple of shields, but it leaves me behind some decaying terrain.  This is actually a positive, as I need immediate access to the emitter (just not at the moment).  The white crystal on the right is ripe for the picking, and it's trivial to set a shield in place to stop the creeper.

On my first attempt I thought this would be an absolute cakewalk, all the energy I need to build whatever, and only one exposed emitter, then I looked at the strength, 65 mils on that thing.  Oh well, better start building.  Here come the drones, oh noes! :(

Alright, try two, k, we'll build some blasters after we secure that white gem and set them to drones only, works great.  Now we'll build some conversion bombs for that titan.  I can only build three on my (now limited) energy supply.  (By the way, if you try to build four, the ground will decay underneath you and the drones will head for the new shortest path to you, rendering your bombs and shields useless.)

How it ends up
Spoiler
[close]

I cannot get a quick enough nullify on this thing.  As soon as the ground breaks, I send two in and convert a path straight to it, I grab the green gem on the way and plant a nullifier as soon as possible.  There's no energy starvation, and I'll even convert the titan again once it starts pushing back towards my nullifier.  The thing just puts out too much creeper.

So maybe I'm managing wrong, or something, show me up.

Fisherck

I'm usually the one beating these "impossible" maps ;) But this time, I have one for you guys.

Ask aghtyfhgnnnnnnnntytytytytyyttytytytytytytfter make Large/High

I haven't found a way to beat it. The closest I have gotten is to building a C-bomb, but that didn't get me far...
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps