thor on PZ?

Started by Annonymus, February 02, 2014, 07:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Annonymus

Is there any difference between a normal thor and one built on a powerzone?
If a topic started by me is in the wrong place feel free to move it at anytime.

TLMike

Thors don't actually sit on the ground, so they aren't even sitting on a Power Zone.

Annonymus

They aren't on the ground when built but while you build them they can be on a PZ...

Relli

It's the same as if you build a Beam on a power zone and then move it somewhere else later. The effect only lasts while it's parked on that space. And since Thor floats, it's not exactly on the space even if you don't move it away.

Grayzzur

It doesn't have a landing pad to continue to occupy the PZ, so it would be imbalanced. If building a Thor on a PZ affected it, the super-powered Thor would fly off to wreak havoc, and the PZ would be available to build something else, or another super Thor. When you build a Bomber or a Strafer on a PZ, the pad continues to occupy it, not allowing you to have more powered up units than you have PZs.

Plus, a regular Thor already packs more punch than a PZ Bertha.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

TLMike

PZ Thor should build 20% faster  8)

Annonymus

Actually it (probably) is impossible to make the thor build faster if on a PZ without major code changes because the build speed isn't determined by the to-be-built unit but is general and can be modified by the forge...

TLMike

Likely. It'd just... be nice.

miquelfire

For the build faster thing, I think it would need like a 20% discount on cost to build it. If there was an effect of the PZ on the Thor

TLMike

Well, map makers can set the construction price anyway, so that might be a moot point.

Clean0nion

Can we not just agree that since the Thor can move around and is never confined to one point at any time, that it does not occupy ground space and therefore would not be affected by a PZ?

TLMike

4xC

Third.

Besides, the units that are affected by the PZ ought to be boost enough.
C,C,C,C

stewbasic

Quote from: Clean0nion on February 05, 2014, 03:10:35 AM
Can we not just agree that since the Thor can move around and is never confined to one point at any time, that it does not occupy ground space and therefore would not be affected by a PZ?
But it occupies the space while it's being built, right? The Thor shouldn't benefit after completion because another unit could use the same PZ, and conversely it makes sense that the Thor would benefit while being built because another unit cannot use the PZ during this time.

I don't think it's a big deal, since players will just avoid building Thor's on PZ's. But I think the build time/cost reduction suggestion is nice.