Transporting Ore across gaps.

Started by Otterbear, December 03, 2013, 01:15:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otterbear

I've just discovered that although my map has mines on the opposing side of the map,(across a void gap), there is no way to use it unless I move my Command Center to the other side as well.
Is this the only way to use those mines?
I've noticed that Guppies can carry ore, but they only carry it to the Command Center, so even if I build mines they are useless without the CC.
I've tried making two sets of Guppies, one set to carry the ore to the CC, and another set to carry ore to my sprayers on the oposing bank, but they just turn around and give the ore to the Guppies taking it to the CC. :(

Fevix

Guppies only transport energy packets or ore. The CC changes ore into anticreeper, which is then distributed across the network to Sprayers or Bombers. There is no way to transport anticreeper (Which is what the sprayers use) using guppies.

Cavemaniac

Really inefficient, but you could guppy back the ore to a cn to be made to AC, then set bombers to deliver it back to your mine island where sprayers can collect it using their collection fields - and then use it.

Though without a cn in the circuit they can't dispatch so you'll end up with a bucket chain...
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Otterbear

Quote from: Fevix on December 03, 2013, 01:50:10 AM
Guppies only transport energy packets or ore. The CC changes ore into anticreeper, which is then distributed across the network to Sprayers or Bombers. There is no way to transport anticreeper (Which is what the sprayers use) using guppies.

Good point. I hadn't really thought that through.

QuoteReally inefficient, but you could guppy back the ore to a cn to be made to AC, then set bombers to deliver it back to your mine island where sprayers can collect it using their collection fields - and then use it.

Though without a cn in the circuit they can't dispatch so you'll end up with a bucket chain...

Yea, I've tried that, and as you have pointed out...the bombers could do the job, so it kind of made my sprayers a little redundant. I guess I'll have to rethink my strategy.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Otterbear on December 03, 2013, 02:57:56 AM

QuoteReally inefficient, but you could guppy back the ore to a cn to be made to AC, then set bombers to deliver it back to your mine island where sprayers can collect it using their collection fields - and then use it.

Yea, I've tried that, and as you have pointed out...the bombers could do the job, so it kind of made my sprayers a little redundant. I guess I'll have to rethink my strategy.

Still useful if there's an AEZ (aerial exclusion zone tower) which prohibits use of bombers where you need it - you could still use the above in a useful way if you really needed AC at the front line.

However, by the time I set that complex supply line up, I'd probably have a couple of Berthas on-line to pound hell out of the Creeper anyway...!
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Otterbear

Quote from: Cavemaniac on December 03, 2013, 06:49:13 PM

Still useful if there's an AEZ (aerial exclusion zone tower) which prohibits use of bombers where you need it - you could still use the above in a useful way if you really needed AC at the front line.

However, by the time I set that complex supply line up, I'd probably have a couple of Berthas on-line to pound hell out of the Creeper anyway...!

I never thought of that strategy either. (My thinker must be broke.) Berthas are my friend too. I usually try to use them to clear creep for my guppies as well.  I rarely rely on air power. This does reflect in my time scores, (takes a lot longer), but saves me dealing with AEZ's and all the micro-management that comes with it.

4xC

Sprayers are like garden hoses. Both must remain linked to a constant supply center.

That's why bombers are the only means for remote AC deployment.
C,C,C,C

Grauniad

Quote from: 4xC on December 09, 2013, 09:04:02 AM
Sprayers are like garden hoses. Both must remain linked to a constant supply center.

Actually, a sprayer with AC collection turned on can sit in a pool of creeper, be disconnected and it will continue to operate. No power required. Try it on that little AC island on Metroid. Id distracts the one enemy gun quite nicely.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Clean0nion

Quote from: Grauniad on December 09, 2013, 09:23:39 AM
Quote from: 4xC on December 09, 2013, 09:04:02 AM

Actually, a sprayer with AC collection turned on can sit in a pool of creeper, be disconnected and it will continue to operate. No power required. Try it on that little AC island on Metroid. Id distracts the one enemy gun quite nicely.
And units don't even have to be connected in order to heal, as long as they're safe.