Too easy: do you agree?

Started by Clean0nion, October 07, 2013, 06:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejoe66

For me it was a e-z game but i guess i am just to good by this point to say much
"Humanity is probably the only animal capable of hating itself."-The end of Evangelion

TrickyDragon

pics or it didnt happen <3   Have you played any of the tormented sector or the alpha sector?
This is Life,  Life happens.

Helper

Quote from: thejoe66 on October 08, 2013, 07:49:26 PM
For me it was a e-z game but i guess i am just to good by this point to say much

That is certainly possible, but could you show us a map where you hold the top score? I always like to learn better ways to play this game and could sure use some good advice.

thejoe66

hey i never said i am a high-scorer i just found it e-z to win levels on extreme rush levels like horror
"Humanity is probably the only animal capable of hating itself."-The end of Evangelion

Amram

i guess i am just to good
Quote from: thejoe66 on October 09, 2013, 04:54:27 PM
hey i never said i am a high-scorer i just found it e-z to win levels on extreme rush levels like horror
you said you were all that, got called on it.  if your gonna brag, we have maps/scores here to back it up, helps to have them first, you know, so you don't also get shown up by someone who is.  If you can accomplish something others can't, such as a very efficient playthrough with an impressive time, or manage to beat a map very few or no one else has, that's something worth a little bragging imo.

Though, if your not that good, don't say you are?

Kharnellius

Quote from: Amram on October 09, 2013, 10:06:49 PM
i guess i am just to good
Quote from: thejoe66 on October 09, 2013, 04:54:27 PM
you said you were all that, got called on it.  if your gonna brag, we have maps/scores here to back it up, helps to have them first, you know, so you don't also get shown up by someone who is.  If you can accomplish something others can't, such as a very efficient playthrough with an impressive time, or manage to beat a map very few or no one else has, that's something worth a little bragging imo.

Though, if your not that good, don't say you are?
No offense, but someone saying something is easy doesn't mean they were fast.

I'm no Lightning McQueen but I didn't find a single level I had to start over.  I beat every one of them.  Was I fast?  Sorta.  Was it easy...in a manner of speaking yes.  I still found it enjoyable, though, so don't get me wrong.

You're kinda jumping down his throat when it's really a difference in semantics between both of you.

Amram

No offense taken nor was it intended.  Sorry if its too blunt, and i'm going to stop at that.

That said, two posts in, I suppose its high time I at least weighed in on the threat topic.

I've always described CW to friends a game that's fairly simple to learn, but deceivingly complex and difficult to truly master.

Being able to advance in some maps with nothing more than some shields and a nullifier is a very simple strategy, and that it works does imply some maps are quite easy when played that way.  However, it won't always work, indeed some maps are legitimately impossible to win no matter how good you may be, regardless of how OP a given unit or strategy might be.

So no, i don't think things are too easy.  Make things harder and more people get stuck, CW3 becomes less accessible to new players due to the challenge level.  I think the balance is set quite nicely, with or without the line of shields.

Cavemaniac

Virgil created the story missions to introduce the new player gently to the new game - and while they don't offer a uniformly incremental increase in difficulty, the end maps sure require a lot more effort than the early ones.

And with Virgil's maps, like the best teachers, you don't realise how much you're learning and how much your skill is increasing as you progress through the levels.

We saw evidence of this when, unintentionally and hilariously, a group of new Beta's who had never seen CW3 before were given a beta release that started on the final levels.

The forums lit up with 'What the...???' type questions as they struggled to come to terms with unfamiliar units, enemies and controls.

Talk about being dropped in the deep end.

Wait 'til you see some of the Alpha sector maps.

The Beta's have been testing the game for the best part of a year and some of the maps created were unintentionally harder than they should have been.

It was only after it was pointed out to me that the maps I was creating were considered 'advanced to hard' by other Beta's that I started making maps aimed at the more casual player.

See if you can get through Beau Jest or Leapfrog on your first try...

;D
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Helper

Quote from: Cavemaniac on October 10, 2013, 04:24:16 AM
;D

"Leapfrog" - Yikes!
First try hell! I've failed in my first dirty dozen tries.

How in the name of the wide, wide, world of sports do you survive those spore attacks?
I'd sure like to see the 2-3 minute screen shots of someone who figured that baby out.

Kharnellius

Yep, I understand the purpose of the main game and you certainly don't want to push people away by making something too hard.

That said, the final mission was some of the most fun I have EVER had and I truly feel like it makes up for the lackluster ending the previous two games had (in spades).  I had a few moments were I started losing ground but was able to recover and was able to finally deal a slow but crushing blow to the Loki.  I even stuck around after it was over and built a containment structure and lowered the inside of the Nexus to "1" for the fun of it. :P

Helper

Quote from: Kharnellius on October 10, 2013, 08:51:51 AM
I even stuck around after it was over and built a containment structure and lowered the inside of the Nexus to "1" for the fun of it. :P

Isn't that a great feature of CW3? You get what 'time' it was to win, but can then continue kicking tookus to your heart's content.

Virgil said somewhere that this was two years in the making - and it shows.

pecet

I disagree, but again, I do most of maps in 30 minutes and I did one in almost 2 hours, and judging by best times I always suck :)

TrickyDragon

easy, hard, it doesn't matter.  What matters is how much fun you had.  Some people think god mode is fun,  and it is, if earned.  Some people find flat out cheating fun as well *cough* dawnstar chest *cough*  I personally love a good challenge, where any single hit will end the game, but fighting through wave after wave of countless enemies.  When I make maps, I make them fun for me, and possibly others..... But for me, fun means hard, fun means one hit KO, it means double S rank monster hunter hard ;)   Speaking of,  my map terror, when i made it, the energy production of collectors was about half of what it is now, I found it fun when I made it.......
This is Life,  Life happens.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Helper on October 10, 2013, 08:13:24 AM
Quote from: Cavemaniac on October 10, 2013, 04:24:16 AM
;D

"Leapfrog" - Yikes!
First try hell! I've failed in my first dirty dozen tries.

How in the name of the wide, wide, world of sports do you survive those spore attacks?
I'd sure like to see the 2-3 minute screen shots of someone who figured that baby out.

The spores are the least of your problems - just make some Beam defenses, line them up and shoot down the incoming spores!

Here's a couple of spoilers for how I did the first few minutes.

You game play may vary...
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Helper

YGPMV :)

Caveman - thanks for the post. I'll get back in there and give it a try later.
FWIW - using the F12 key to do the screen capture will include a lot more information (especially the game clock) for us numpties who need a primer.

H