80 Height Epidemic

Started by Fisherck, August 23, 2011, 10:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sqaz

Quote from: Ebon Heart on August 23, 2011, 03:25:46 PM
lmao, why not a column thicker? If you want it a colum thinner, just make a column of solid terrain. Besides that... I love how in the cw2 map editor, you can have several ideas in one map. Some of my maps admittably should be two maps... lol. Take the super colldier for instance. :P

Then you should make them two maps, that's more convenient for the players and since you can always save big maps don't add anything to the experience.

Grun

I think maps of size 80 (or higher if ever poisble in future) are great if the space is used correctly. The mechanics of the game the main challange applys to the first stages of the game in most maps which once you got a foot hold you normaly ok. So with this having height 80 and you get foothold it just a grind down to the bottom. Where this dosnt apply is where there is challanges introduced all the way down the map which is where good design is needed.

IMO its better to mess about with ideas paticularly with messing with creeper fields and create a challanging smaller map and later introduce large maps with mixed challanges in. Wish I was creative enough to make decent maps as I think having a large map with creeper climbing slowly while dealing with another threat is great as you can get the first threat under control but need to be prepared for a 2nd or 3rd threat etc

Grun

UpperKEES

First of all it could be a good thing to set the default map height in the editor to 50 rows instead of 80.

Secondly I think the map shouldn't be filled with (normal) terrain, so map authors will have to start thinking from scratch. This may lead to more maps with the LS at a different starting position. Apart from that maps with more open space will be much more threatening and the map won't likely be beaten once the initial economy has been set up. The more terrain, the easier the map.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

xing

I'm still working on my first map for CW2 - but I promise you all it is NOT 80 hight :D

If anyone remembers me from CW1 ( I doubt it but just maybe ) you can expect a map that it visually appealing and beatable by the average player ( as I don't release it if I can't beat it and I'm not really expert lvl )

I still have a bit of work to do on this one but I'm hoping many of you will find it a amusing map - if not a little fun :D

cclloyd9785

Just change the map editor and make the default height 40.  Maybe they don't know it's there or don't mess with it, it will be smaller more frequently.

Fisherck

Quote from: cclloyd9785 on August 24, 2011, 08:20:50 PM
Just change the map editor and make the default height 40.  Maybe they don't know it's there or don't mess with it, it will be smaller more frequently.
+1
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

thepenguin

I feel like making all my maps 79 height maps.
We have become the creeper...

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Sqaz on August 24, 2011, 01:03:46 AM
Quote from: Ebon Heart on August 23, 2011, 03:25:46 PM
lmao, why not a column thicker? If you want it a colum thinner, just make a column of solid terrain. Besides that... I love how in the cw2 map editor, you can have several ideas in one map. Some of my maps admittably should be two maps... lol. Take the super colldier for instance. :P

Then you should make them two maps, that's more convenient for the players and since you can always save big maps don't add anything to the experience.
Ehh, that may be a matter of opinion. Some players like just blasting through creeper, and if there's an objective to save, the bigger the map, the harder it is... Presuming there's a reasonable short time limit... Unlike my first map. :P
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

teengamer

Quote from: Fisherck on August 24, 2011, 08:37:51 PM
+1
+1

Michionlion

Quote from: teengamer on August 25, 2011, 09:52:33 AM
+1
+1

+ oo
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Lord_Farin

I would say then the default height should be 22... The absence of scrolling if it isn't necessary is appealing to me.
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

Grabarz

Quote from: teengamer on August 25, 2011, 09:52:33 AM
+1
+1
Have my +1 also.

thepenguin

Grauniad

When sensible discussion dies out, but the thread lives on, a lock is pending.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

thepenguin

Quote from: Grauniad on August 25, 2011, 11:16:41 AM
When sensible discussion dies out, but the thread lives on, a lock is pending.

+1, I beleive the discussion is over