My Chromecast arrived

Started by Grauniad, August 12, 2013, 07:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

More later.

Not sure why my browser adds a "#netflix" anchor tag to the above URL.

I now have 2 mode HDMI-capable devices to plug into my TV than my TV has ports for.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

thepenguin

I've heard that the setup is confusing and the quality is bad.

It seems to be good for watching youtube videos, but I don't think I'd try to watch an entire movie with it.

I don't have one, so I'd be interested to hear how it goes.
We have become the creeper...

MadMag

Grauniad

It was simple to install, but it needs wireless network and the signal in that location is weak, (which is why most other devices there has an Ethernet connection) so now I have to figure out a way to boost the WiFi signal.

Other than that, my initial tests were that it was interesting - if I needed a 5th way to stream Netflix of Google Play. Streaming YouTube? Meh.

MizInIA

Quote from: Grauniad on August 16, 2013, 08:15:28 AM
It was simple to install, but it needs wireless network and the signal in that location is weak, (which is why most other devices there has an Ethernet connection) so now I have to figure out a way to boost the WiFi signal.

I have a Linksys RE1000 and they work Great.
http://store.linksys.com/products/cisco-linksys-range-extenders_stcVVcatId554677VVviewcat.htm

Grauniad

Quote from: MizInIA on August 16, 2013, 09:26:18 AM

I have a Linksys RE1000 and they work Great.
http://store.linksys.com/products/cisco-linksys-range-extenders_stcVVcatId554677VVviewcat.htm

I don't like range extenders. My thinking is that they add a lot to signal noise. Every signal passes through them adds 4x to the radio traffic on that band. In addition, they usually amplify a weak signal, so the quality is poor to start with and since they present a strong signal, they hide the underlying fact that their connection upstream is not of the best.

My usual solution is to install a WiFi router connected to an Ethernet cable that I set up as a wireless Access Point. I can then have that use a different channel, but the same SSID, giving better and denser WiFi coverage.

I did have a small Zuni Digital ZR301F router in that location, but it seems unreliable and we had connectivity problems. I'm looking at the Newegg deals today that has a refurb Linksys this afternoon. If the price is right, I may buy it.

My bigger concern is that my main router, the Verizon FIOS connection is getting overloaded. I've had to reboot it a few times this summer whereas I've not had to mess with it for a few years. A new, faster and bigger FIOS router will run me $80. :(

MizInIA

while I would generally agree that range extenders are not ideal they do a good job where hard wires cannot be run. Mine bounces the signal down a cinder block hall way. I can't bore holes and laying an ethernet cable along the wall is not acceptable. I don't have a need for online gaming just reasonable internet access and maybe some youtube.