Custom Map #9408: Doom Fortress. By: Mr$Hyper$

Started by AutoPost, March 27, 2021, 12:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #9408: Doom Fortress

Author: Mr$Hyper$
Size: 200x200

Desc:
Skars and Lia once again venture to the Ticon World of Agarsiz, diameter: ~11k miles and gravitational pull of 12g. It's another cratered world with many ticon facilities still remaining after the initial invasion a billion years ago. 4 shield keys are located with what seems to be a large number of sleeper units and 4 trap emitters. Be wary player as the battle will be harsh and long #sleeper #Trap Emitter #Advanced Sleeper Units #Sleeper Forge #Long #Hard #Occasionally laggy (from singularities) T

Mr$Hyper$

Not giving the speedrun guide to this. But if you want advice from the beater.

Heres a spoiler
Spoiler
Avoid dropping a CNs at the mass orbital strikes, they ain't worth it till you actually start fighting the sleeper and you need the early game successful. Now speedrun aside focus on expanding your energy network then massing lots of cannons with digitalis focus. Send those cannons to the forge 8 suicide trips will do it with 8 or so cannons. Now that the forge is out of the way take the bottom Trap Emitter out to connect your 2 bases before expanding northward around the sleeper fortress. Be sure to build LOTS of beams as the sleeper will focus air units mid-game. When you cover all 4 sides it's about time you start building PZ berthas and firing at the sleeper units. They will die eventually but that time is best used to send units then push to the sleeper to win.
[close]

Next map will be a wandering emitter map with 4 classes: Tank, speed, artillery and kaboomer. I'll leave you to imagine what they can do.

Now I see no one has beaten this map. But regardless it's here. I will modify the next sleeper map to ensure this great challenge doesn't result in everyone losing so hard.

D0m0nik

Even with powered up shields a small amount of creep got to the forge, the walls then kept the creep contained on the forge. Game over. Not a fan of the berthas, with no PZs you need too many shields to protect your bases and unless they at least doubled up they are ineffective.

Might try again but destory and rebuild the forge on ground that can be defended.

Spoiler
With a CN and a freeze you can take out the enemy forge and 1 bertha which is a bonus
[close]

DevilWarrior79

Goes to show you that placing enemy berthas at the beginning is a bad idea, I know so bc I've done testing with it and it sucks!
Also the design of the map is interesting and looks great but those berthas are not a good thing, :(  Letting the enemy CN make berthas later in the game is far better than beginning

D0m0nik

I enjoyed it in the end but yeah those berthas are hard work early on. Once I started building berthas they focused on those leaving my main bases and reactors alone. So quicker you get to building berthas the better!

Spoiler
I found a convert on a bertha later on was enough to destroy them
[close]

Mr$Hyper$

Quote from: D0m0nik on March 28, 2021, 07:37:25 AM
Even with powered up shields a small amount of creep got to the forge, the walls then kept the creep contained on the forge. Game over. Not a fan of the berthas, with no PZs you need too many shields to protect your bases and unless they at least doubled up they are ineffective.

Might try again but destory and rebuild the forge on ground that can be defended.

Spoiler
With a CN and a freeze you can take out the enemy forge and 1 bertha which is a bonus
[close]

Try putting 2 shields near your forge then place a mortar outside so the moment the berthas fire at it you'll lose a shield but your mortar takes care of the creep. The Creeper Berthas generally fire on titan units over ordinary units like collectors

D0m0nik

I destroyed a full sprayer over it in the end, filled the well with AC. I protected my berthas with a similar technique using a sprayer on always on and a terped wall. I don't use shields if it can be avoided.

Johnny Haywire

First off, I think this is one of my favorite 1v1 Sleeper maps, and I think I've played almost every Sleeper map so far. It's challenging, but not like crazy-intense-level-near-impossible challenging. And there are a lot of units that exhibit some pretty intelligent behavior and make victory more difficult than average.

I agree with Dom - I really dislike shields. However, in this case I resorted to the two protections you have available: Shields and AC.

Tip: Set sprayers around the forge to *collect* AC. Use bombers to drop it directly into the well. You should be able to tank any amount of bertha fire. I didn't think of using the sprayers to collect until after I was reading how people were having difficulty with the enemy berthas.

My solution was to build two shields next to anything I wanted to protect, and then watch for bertha fire. I would then pause the game ( :-[) and then arm a shield ( :-[ :P) which can sustain 2 direct hits... and then I'd disarm it to save energy and wait again. But at least it saved everything - I didn't lose any units to berthas using this method ( :)). And I took my time. If you don't mind pausing once every minute or two, this is a pretty easy solution.

I also landed my 2nd & 3rd CN's in the upper-left, which might sound weird. But I saw the spinning enemy nullifier things heading there and rather than see what they did once they got there I chose to play whack-a-mole with them. And grab two free PZ's at the same time.

Enemy bertha & forge dies in a big way if you use a singularity & then the AC conversion bomb.

Great job putting this together, Mr. Hyper! I look forward to seeing what you come up with next!

Thanks for the map!  ;D ;D ;D

You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

Loren Pechtel

I've been revisiting some maps that previously defeated me and I found some things about this map:

The berthas:
Spoiler
They have a strong affinity for nullifiers.  Build over towards the emitter to the east of the west start area.  Build a nullifier but disarm it.  All the bertha fire will hit it, nothing else.  Eventually you'll actually want to take it out but ensure there's always a nullifier on the map and you're almost totally safe from them.  (Not 100% as when you fire a nullifier the berthas aren't so 100% reliable on choosing another nullifier as a target.)
[close]

The singularity:
Spoiler
The Sleeper has to build and charge a forge to fire it.  The forge can be killed normally, although in this case you'll have to kamikaze it at least at first.  Keep an eye on it,, it will be rebuilt eventually.  If the singularity charges it's effectively game over.
[close]