Custom map sort by name

Started by UpperKEES, March 22, 2010, 02:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

The sorting of custom maps in CW (not the site) is case sensitive. Because of this first all maps starting with A-Z will be listed and after that all map starting with a-z. Now I have 1,000 of them the sort became more important.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Karsten75

Well? Are you asserting that the sort is incorrect or that an "A" is the same as "a"? Is "Chase" equivalent to "chase?"

There are going to be lots of issues with the name space. Already I think SPIFFEN is using the same name for multiple maps.  You can load the same map multiple times in your custom maps list. Next you will be commenting on how multiple maps by the smae name should be handled.

UpperKEES

Eh??? In a bad mood today? I suggest we stay as nice as we were before. :)

I just think maps starting with 'A' or 'a' should be listed together. That's rather normal when sorting and for most sort routines case sensitivity can be set to true or false. When I'm looking for a map called "map" I now have to go scroll the list (with >1000 items) to the 'M' to find out I actually had to look under the 'm'. (You've probably noticed as well that this list is not getting faster when you've downloaded a lot of maps.)

I indeed noticed a lot of maps have the same name, especially when they got updated, or don't have a name at all. Not very convenient, but nothing that the program can improve. It's up to the map maker to supply unique and sensible names.

Edit: Karsten, you made me think about it! When the title of a map says "SET TITLE!" (and there are dozens of them!), the file name (minus the .cwm extension) could be displayed instead of the title itself. A quick and easy solution....

Edit 2: It also sorts in reverse (Z-A, 9-0) when you switch between columns (without clicking a second time).

UpperKEES

I'm not sure if others experience the same problem, but when I open the custom map screen in CW, it takes between 8 to 10 seconds to show up (the app freezes and is not responding at all). When I completed a map and click 'Continue' after the statistics screen to submit my score the same happens. The game even switches from full screen to windowed mode for a short while and sometimes displays a screen of a completely different map for a brief moment :o before returning to full screen and the score submission dialog.

I know I can just delete some of the 1100+ maps in the list, but I like to keep track of all the scores obtained and sometimes replay a map. When sorting (on name or number) the delay is the same. Does this have to do with the used data structure as I've read in the CW2 blog?

Katra

I have the delays; but not the other problems you describe.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

UpperKEES

I attached a screenshot after playing The Snake Charmer to show what I mean. You can see the title bar saying: "NJ-20: Snake Charmer (not responding)" (in Dutch that is ;))

The image shown is the map Story Ep.3 Tech Base by Blaze. I played this map earlier today, but this image is a random moment during my first attempt (that I didn't even finish!). Is that weird or what?  ??? I've played other maps afterwards, although this is still the first map in my list (sorted descending on number), see attachment 2.

Echo51

Not repsonding is just when an application fails to pass some tests by windows, then it declares its hung up, and wont respond, that is common when processing quite some data ,)
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

UpperKEES

I know, I know....

Of course I'm talking about the completely different map showing up in between....

Blaze

[MOST OFF-TOPIC EVER]
Thats My Map!!!!!!!

Sorry....
[End]

L'ythelle

I never sort by name. I tend to download all the maps by one author at a time, so my index consists of clumps of maps by the same author. (You have two clumps. 8)) I also keep all the maps for a single author in a separate save file when I download them. I give the folders very creative names such as: Rocco's Maps, Spiffen's Maps, UpperKEYS' Maps, etc. That way, it's easy to tell if I already have a particular map at the time I download it just by checking the author's save folder.

I too have noticed the lag gets longer and longer as I add more custom maps. I hope someone suggests a good way to decide which ones to delete.

UpperKEES

I used the 1000 map download when that got published, but regret it now, as I rather select the maps manually like you do. Making separate folders actually isn't a bad idea at all! I tend to be very organized (on my computer that is ;D), but never thought of it. Hopefully there will be an author column in CW2 for the custom maps.

Oh, and regarding my name: I understand that English speakers pronounce 'Kees' as 'Keys', but it's actually pronounced as 'Case' in Dutch, hence 'UpperKEES'. ;) Still like my folder name though!

This is SuitKees for instance:

Every now and then I convert it into a BeautyKees....  :D

L'ythelle

I checked my file and did spell your name correctly there. Just an embarassing slip of the finger while typing.  :-[  Upper CASE makes more sense than Upper KEYS to me. Is your first name Justin?

Ha! Ha! 

From now on I spell it KEES, the same as you do.

I knew you were in the Netherlands, but your command of American is so good I thought it might be your first language ... until you referred to me as an English speaker.  8)

UpperKEES

Heheh, yeah Justin Kees would have been perfect! :P

Kees is my first name though; I don't use my surname that often on forums.

Dutch is my first language, but working several years for an international company contributed a lot to my English, as it wasn't one of my favorites at high school.

Hmmm, I guess we went off topic a bit, my apologies to the other forum members.