Custom Map: Nice Job 20: The Snake Charmer

Started by AutoPost, June 22, 2010, 11:45:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPIFFEN

Atleast i manage to finnish the map =)
But i wasted alot of energy on Blasters after i made the first cap ,
i'm not good at doing the right things during battle i guess =P
And i also used alot of energy during build up to stay safe ,
but i guess thats my way to play the game =)
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

Quote from: SPIFFEN on June 25, 2010, 10:08:19 PM
Atleast i manage to finnish the map =)
But i wasted alot of energy on Blasters after i made the first cap ,
i'm not good at doing the right things during battle i guess =P
And i also used alot of energy during build up to stay safe ,
but i guess thats my way to play the game =)

As long as you had fun Spiff! Your completion time is not that far off from the average (which should be a little higher anyway, see here), so you're a very decent player considering this is a pretty tough map.

It's very normal that you spend most time gaining new terrain, building up energy and capping the first emitter. Probably the same amount of time as you'll need for the rest of the map.

Spoiler
The key to a good score is indeed not wasting energy on things that are not necessary and only attack when you're ready for it (or are forced to defend yourself). Just keep playing the game the way you like it! :)
[close]

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 23, 2010, 05:17:58 PM
I'll retry myself in a couple of days, but I don't have the time right now.

I found the time, so I improved my score. Used the same strategy as before, but just played more efficiently.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

L'ythelle

I love the snakeskin texture. At one point, the nose overflowed, giving me the urge for a tissue.

I took both the mounds on the left first, then the right, then both sides against the middle on top. I couldn't see any reason to clear the center around the eyes. When I finished, I had a blue ring around a pool of green slime.

I only built one drone and no mortars. Perhaps my time would have been better if I had used more drone runs, but the blasters always seemed to be sufficient.

UpperKEES

Quote from: L'ythelle on July 16, 2010, 02:02:57 PM
I love the snakeskin texture. At one point, the nose overflowed, giving me the urge for a tissue.

Thanks. It was originally a different color, but I liked this better. Blasters work better than tissues by the way, I have one in each nostril during the winter. ;D

I took both the mounds on the left first, then the right, then both sides against the middle on top. I couldn't see any reason to clear the center around the eyes. When I finished, I had a blue ring around a pool of green slime.

Spoiler
This is exactly how I played it the first time, but other players scored better than me, so I had to improve my strategy. Once you have enough space you can fight at several fronts simultaneously. So when I conquer the top left mount, I do the same with the bottom right one. It means waiting a bit longer, but advancing much faster after that. When I would collect even more energy, I could even see why you would go through the middle. You would probably need 25+ energy to do so (I tried it during testing), but once your energy collection is growing, this growth is exponential, so you'll have that amount in just a few minutes (space permitting).
[close]

I only built one drone and no mortars. Perhaps my time would have been better if I had used more drone runs, but the blasters always seemed to be sufficient.

Spoiler
I used 2-4 drones in my various attempts. You get the drone & mortar techs rather late in this map and they would probably be more useful when obtained earlier in the game, so this is indeed a real blaster level. Try The Diver and The Artist when you like to see the effectiveness of mortars. :)
[close]

DethbyIT

Persistence counts!
Great game - visually & tactically.
I will definitely play it again - using some of the tips here.

Thanks for another great one!
dbit

UpperKEES

Quote from: DethbyIT on September 04, 2010, 09:29:11 AM
Persistence counts!

Yes, it does.

I will definitely play it again - using some of the tips here.

That will surely improve your time. I improved from ~22 to ~18 minutes after my second attempt and took off another 3 minutes during my third.

Great game - visually & tactically.

Thanks for another great one!
dbit

Merci! :)