I found a new bug!

Started by Cavemaniac, March 14, 2012, 02:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavemaniac

Not that anyone cares any more, but I just found a new 'unintended feature' in CW2.

I was playing a custom map (#931 - Nightmare 3), when an enemy dig packet dug through the Ore deposit I was in the process of building Ore Rigs on.

The Unfinished Ore Rigs just sorta hung in the sky until until construction was complete, then they exploded!

Not a particularly common experience I imagine...

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

lich98

No not often. i only think that the game checks for ground when you place it and once it finishes building.
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

mpete

or ore for that mater
and i have seen other stuff blow up if the ground is dug out, so maybe its just ore rigs?
sorry for any misspellings.
signed,mpete

Cavemaniac

Quote from: mpete on March 15, 2012, 02:28:03 PM
or ore for that mater
and i have seen other stuff blow up if the ground is dug out, so maybe its just ore rigs?

Yarp.

It's perfectly normal for things to blow up when the ground is taken out from under them.

But it was a fairly uncommon situation as outlined above!
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Grauniad

Uncommon and rare. We'll probably note it and move on. Thanks for reporting it, though.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

CJY101

Why Drone through a micro rift... Leave closed the terrain, how so difficult?  ???
However, the terrain Digger packets, It is so easy!
( If the translation is not good, don't care, please ) ; My custom maps: 101 mission

mpete

Quote from: CJY101 on March 19, 2012, 10:52:08 AM
Why Drone through a micro rift... Leave closed the terrain, how so difficult?  ???
already found and reported
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=8105.msg53755#msg53755
sorry for any misspellings.
signed,mpete

CJY101

Quote from: mpete on March 19, 2012, 11:22:03 AM
Quote from: CJY101 on March 19, 2012, 10:52:08 AM
already found and reported
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=8105.msg53755#msg53755

two closed the terrain + two micro-rift
Drone                       : can't through
Enemy Digger packets : can   through

The same are the shortest path.
But the Drone can not do?
This is unreasonable. ???
( If the translation is not good, don't care, please ) ; My custom maps: 101 mission

Karsten75

It is a specific design decision of Virgil's. He thought it would be too chaotic otherwise. I remember talking to him about it. I don't recall the specifics of what was said.

knucracker

Drones only use micro rifts if they can other reach the destination without using the microrifts.  The sensors on each drone can't know what is on the other side of a micro rift unless there is some open path to the other end.

Put another way, micro rifts are only every used as shortcuts for drones... not as a way to reach an unreachable area.

CJY101

Quote from: virgilw on March 19, 2012, 12:24:42 PM
Drones only use micro rifts if they can other reach the destination without using the microrifts.  The sensors on each drone can't know what is on the other side of a micro rift unless there is some open path to the other end.

Put another way, micro rifts are only every used as shortcuts for drones... not as a way to reach an unreachable area.

This looks like a game setting, Instead of program settings!
Let Drone running around, would be more fun, is not it?
Or because it makes the game easily lead to chaos?

Karsten75

How many maps are there where people have specific, isolated things that you can only reach via u-rifts?  What do you think will happen to those maps if the drones can get through?

CJY101

Quote from: Karsten75 on March 20, 2012, 08:08:06 PM
How many maps are there where people have specific, isolated things that you can only reach via u-rifts?  What do you think will happen to those maps if the drones can get through?

Such as this?