(Pseudo) Multiplayer?

Started by ItsFunToLose, January 08, 2010, 11:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kamron3

Aurzel

corgano

Race would be one of the easier implemented ideas, give each player his own color (for simplicity, lock blue to the creeper) and have them race to get to the totems. The fractal collecters would be the players color, to give them an accurate idea of how much area they cover. each player could be able to attack each others structures, but this is not necessary to the gameplay

Co-op would also be simple, as it requires little modification to the game itself. players would be different color, and they would have full control over their structures and be able to build off of each others buildings (turrets would be exclusively the players, though), share net production (this could be limited to collectors only though, leaving generators to be player exclusive). Both  or one of the players get to the

a battle mode would be slightly more difficult, each player could have everything act normally, except the weapons would hurt each other instead of the creeper(the creeper could not even be in the battle mode), complications include hoW morters and drones effect the players (the morter bullets could do 25% damage, and destroy if target is under n health). Another idea could be that the players play like creeper and players....AT THE SAME TIME. Collectors could generate creeper (generate energy off of players creeper area?) of that players color, that does nothing to them but kills the enemy in similar fashion to the origional game (mortar bullets could act similar to spores, creating tiny amounts of creeper). blasters and other weapons could only attack the enemy's creeper (this would lead to very unique tactics, as you could have a web of collectors ((or in this case emmiters)) that would make your goo that are being capped off by enemy blasters as your enemy has an overlapping array of collector-emitters that are being capped off by your blasters). Your creeper could either overlap their creeper (creating places where neither player could build until there creeper was cleared) or they could run into each other (build up walls of creeper, in a relationship like oil and water)

There are soo many ways that a battle mode could be done, that its hard to cover them all

If larger map sizes were required then this would be best left to CW 2 (as porting all the hard coded maps and the user made maps may be tedious). Most of these ideas might be better left to another version of creeper world (standalone multiplayer) that runs off of a modified CW engine (this could be like a game engine test for creeper world 2)

Aurzel

is it just that no one likes my idea about the creeper producing buildings in versus being the only way to hurt each other and turrets firing at that creeper, or do people just ignore it? i think its the most reasonable and easiest way to have to odin cities fighting each other and no one's been able to put it down so far

corgano

the problem about playing as the creeper is that there would need to be new resources and buildings.  A better (maby just different) idea is both players play as both, and the collectors emit small amounts of creeper (use creeper instead of the usual "green area"). Playing as just the creeper would require more work (where as the collector - emitter idea would only require a code switch around).

(sorry of the abuse of the brackets)

Aurzel

it wouldnt just require a code switch around, what about the programming to determine what the creeper will and wont hurt, and also how to make opposing creepers interact

Benofdoom

co opp = 2 oden citys that meet an alien race has survived and teamed up wit you!

But anyway co opp would be cool like if there were 2 oden citys. you could use a special connector to connect the 2 bases and like you can turn on and off energy packet sending to friends, if one oden city is destroyed you can still go and all the other persons stuff belongs to you but in all maps creeper output is doubbled.

corgano

making them interact would be difficult (maby have them detect other creepers as infinitely high wall)

You could add an if statement to to the buildings on the creeper contact event (here i assume the destruction of buildings is event driven)
< event creeper building collision >
if $creepercolor <> @usercolor then
destroy(building
endif
to make collectors Emmit would basically just replace the creeper emitter with the collector icon, getting the creeper covered area should be simple (as the graph at the end of the level tells us, the game already does this)

I think there should be a standalone multilayer edition, to see what features work well for CW 2

Aurzel

i dont know about coding but i do know you cant have creeper treat each other as an ifinite wall they have to destroy each other

corgano

having them destroy each other on contact would be easier then having them collide (collision of liquids would be a pain). They could just destroy each other on contact (creating a nice misty border)

And another question, how were the mods chosen?

SPIFFEN

I guess MODs are choosen by how well they know the game and online time ,
and if they are an friend of the ADMIN .
If the forum needs an MOD they will send email to active users that they think can be an MOD ,
and ask if you want to be one , then you have to answer some more questions ,
and they might pick you as an MOD .
Thats my experience of other forums i've been in .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

Aurzel

actually i made a suggestion to assign some mods on the beta forum and virgil liked it and apointed a few of us

corgano

lol yay for random selection........

Maby one day I could become a volunteer Dev, and make a creeper collision algorithm.....

Capn Trey

Player Vs. Player could work if the "Friendly Creepers" fought for each side.

I like the idea more of two cities working on the same map cooperatively.

Could they link up and share power? I would hope so... but then one player could over build and drag both down.

But I guess it would require teamwork. May need a chat box to communicate.