3d OpenGL creeper world

Started by OSA, June 07, 2010, 06:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OSA

This would own.  Who want's to try and do this like with a gaming engine or something?

Twi

....um, hate to say it, but I don't think anyone knows what OpenGL means.
Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

OSA

maybe I should just make a concept video

Twi

Karsten75

Quote from: OSA on June 07, 2010, 06:59:22 PM
maybe I should just make a concept video

Hey no, make a prototype game!

Twi

Well, I can figure out what 3d means.

Echo51

OpenGL is outdated, go DirectX...
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

OSA

OpenGL is just fine.  DirectX is a Windows proprietary system that's pretty much a dead end for anybody wanting to develop something across platforms.

Kamron3

3D version of Creeper World = sucks

And DirectX is a very good option if it did happen, OpenGL is very outdated.

OSA

Well, I don't see anything worse than using adobe to make a computer game.  Considering it's one of the most bloated inefficient things to use.  I mean really, a quad-core machine lagging when your old Sega Genesis should have no problem rendering such a game speaks volumes.  It seems we have entered an era where hardware is improving much faster than software so unfortunately, grossly inefficient programs are getting the chance to flourish.

To summarize, an openGL 3d rendered version of this would run faster than the horrible flash platform does now, not to mention would be kind of cool.  Also OpenGL is non-profit and royalty free which makes it an attractive option for developers.  I understand more people would be familiar with DirectX, and that is also like how more people are familiar with MP3 instead of it's more efficient and lesser known royalty-free cousin, Ogg-Vorbis.  Fortunately they are easy to implement and don't need to go the way of the Beta-max.

Developers often get stuck in a dilemma when they start creating their product using technologies owned by private interests as once they get too far into it and begin wanting to sell it; they will have these companies knocking at their door demanding a cut of their profits.  They end up caving in because it would cost much more to start over and do it right.

Kamron3

You're right about Adobe being slow; as long as it stays 2D graphics, I'd be happy to have a different version of it.

_k

Echo51

Code it in assembly then, nobody you support or anything then ;)
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...