Custom Map #449: First Encounters Part 4

Started by AutoPost, November 13, 2011, 06:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kithros

Personally I don't really like the map because it was way overcomplicated with fields and such that don't really make sense - many of the fields could have been done away with without effecting the gameplay much(with repositioned terrain etc.), needing to set off a conversion bomb at the beginning just seems silly instead of just putting the conversion bombs somewhere safer to begin with (with 1 fewer conversion bomb), and most of the starting buildings could have been deleted (especially the ones that literally die 1 frame into the map). These can all be ok from the perspective of someone who has designed the map and knows exactly what to expect, but from someone who just starts playing the map, there's just too much to take note of right at the beginning that isn't very clear.

DDarkJared

Guess I will have to wait on the spoilers, because as of now I can't do anything.  At the very start all of the beacons around the conversion bombs get destroyed thus I am unable to move them or any of the launchers or blasters.
I was able to save my main ship, but then a capsule gets destroyed before I can even get down to it.

Ebon Heart

Quote from: DDarkJared on November 15, 2011, 10:11:59 AM
Guess I will have to wait on the spoilers, because as of now I can't do anything.  At the very start all of the beacons around the conversion bombs get destroyed thus I am unable to move them or any of the launchers or blasters.
I was able to save my main ship, but then a capsule gets destroyed before I can even get down to it.

You can set off a C bomb in the dark. Everything else is supposed to die.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

fitz

Critical comments are valid, this map is not for everyone.

I personally thoroughly enjoyed it and hope there will be more from this stable. I did make the mistake of only skim reading the initial text (as usual) and failing to see how to preserve the c-bombs.

I've tried again, with the c-bombs but cannot beat my time  :-\

DethbyIT

Quote from: DDarkJared on November 15, 2011, 10:11:59 AM
Guess I will have to wait on the spoilers, because as of now I can't do anything.  At the very start all of the beacons around the conversion bombs get destroyed thus I am unable to move them or any of the launchers or blasters.

Spoiler
I'll post an image as soon as I finish a couple of maps in my queue - but move the LS up a couple of blocks and build 3 Blasters. Clear the first Emitter just below the Beacon, then attack the Creeper/Emitter on the left of the mountain.
Build more Reactors and weapons to attack down to those 2 Capsules in the middle and rescue them. After that you can pretty well build your power/weapons and take out everything above the next lower chamber. Don't start on that chamber until you have plenty of power and weapons (of all kinds)
[close]
dbit

Grauniad

Didn't you forget the bit about saving the Conversion Bombs?
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

DethbyIT

Quote from: Grauniad on November 15, 2011, 11:43:52 AM
Didn't you forget the bit about saving the Conversion Bombs?

Blackie covered that in Comment #17, but I should have repeated it.

Still trying to get through the queue and add some pix to the Spoiler above.

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Kithros on November 15, 2011, 07:52:54 AM
Personally I don't really like the map because it was way overcomplicated with fields and such that don't really make sense - many of the fields could have been done away with without effecting the gameplay much(with repositioned terrain etc.), needing to set off a conversion bomb at the beginning just seems silly instead of just putting the conversion bombs somewhere safer to begin with (with 1 fewer conversion bomb), and most of the starting buildings could have been deleted (especially the ones that literally die 1 frame into the map). These can all be ok from the perspective of someone who has designed the map and knows exactly what to expect, but from someone who just starts playing the map, there's just too much to take note of right at the beginning that isn't very clear.
You do have a point, but my goal for this map was complete and utter chaos, which I think I achieved. The C bombs are a nice effect, I really liked that part... and the buildings were just to be consistent with the story.

lich98

Yes, i helped in testing of this map(before ebons computer crashed) it is a map that you have to keep moving.
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

DethbyIT

I added some images above at times of 0:29, 1:00, and 3:22

If you get to my 3:22 point in less than about 5 minutes, you will be able to save those two middle capsules.

From that point it is a matter of building your power and weapons cache - then kicking a whole bunch of Creeper butt.

Ebon Heart

Quote from: DethbyIT on November 15, 2011, 03:43:34 PM
I added some images above at times of 0:29, 1:00, and 3:22

If you get to my 3:22 point in less than about 5 minutes, you will be able to save those two middle capsules.

From that point it is a matter of building your power and weapons cache - then kicking a whole bunch of Creeper butt.
Always fun. :P the big rotating Pit is a pain... you're lucky I removed the drones there. (they attacked the defenseless conversion bombs:.

Katra

I did it by moving the city to the top right corner (after a quick pause to detonate one conversion bomb. Best to use one in the center of the bunch or you'll lose another or more to residual creeper.) while building blasters. I did have to deactivate the left beacon in that layer of pre built reactors that survives for a bit. (Yes you can activate it in the dark.)

I found that a maker clears out the tunnels full of locked in place creeper neatly. But much of the time it was quicker/easier to use blasters.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

fitz

... and I did it by moving to the top left where you are pretty safe. Obviously lots of options at the start. Far too easy  ;)

Ebon Heart

I usually move up a little and build blasters, then get the survivors.