Forum server upgrade (the orange, it hurts...)

Started by Anonymeus, October 03, 2014, 03:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymeus

Thank you for the hard work on the forum upgrade. No usability issues here.... except... the orange easyjet highlighting is unnecessary and interrupts what was previously a soothing and stylish monochrome interface..... could you take it away again?

knucracker

The short answer is that this is the smf2 default "curve" theme.  I chose the default since it makes it much easier and reliable to install plugins without a lot of manual work.  Also since it is the default theme, it will be something that might look familiar to some users who have visited other forums that also use the curve theme.

warren

I have to agree heavily with the OP. I already miss the blue and simplicity of just yesterday. It is slightly harder to find interface elements as well.

J

I liked the old theme more. In this new theme everything is a bit bigger so I'll have to scroll more and the colors are different. I'll get used to it someday, but then still I'd say that the old theme was better.

pawel345

I agree with the OP, the old theme was nicer to use, would be great if there was an option to change that back for those who want it.

knucracker

Ok, here's the best I can do without a whole lot of manual them work I really don't want to do.  I've modified the css and a couple images to change the oranges to a blue.  That's fine, I think, since it adds a little customization to this version of the forum over others that run the default curve theme.  Besides, it matches the default color of Creeper... (but not necessarily the color people will associate with bad things in the next big game... ;) )

Also, you can get back some vertical space by collapsing the header at the top of the forum.  There's a white up/down arrow next the the "Knuckle Cracker Main Site" link at the top right of the forums.  Click that and the header will collapse.  This helps on devices with limited vertical resolution.

pawel345

Great, thanks V^^ and what is that new game you are talking abut?  ;D

knucracker

I'll soon post a few details on some experimental work I've been doing...

Anonymeus

Flabort

For anyone that uses show new posts or show new replies, but want the extra space from hiding the top bar: click and drag the link into your bookmarks toolbar, then hide the bar.
I've been using a bookmarked link there already for months. It's so much easier, too, since you don't have to go to top-of-page to use it.
My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)

J

I love the top bar so I won't hide it ;D
I'm happy with the new forum now, all the orange stuff is gone and I got used to the extra bit of vertical space used for every item.

EDIT: now I've cleared my cache and history, I see that there are new smiley's, I don't like those (yet) =/ (at least the '='-smileys aren't smileyfied =J )

Karsten75

Quote from: J on October 09, 2014, 04:23:09 AM

EDIT: now I've cleared my cache and history, I see that there are new smiley's, I don't like those =/ (at least the '='-smileys aren't smileyfied =J )

It's relatively trivial to add smiley sets. Not that I understand (or can see) a difference, but if you know what it is you want and can provide a link, I'll ask Virgil to add them in.

stdout

Quote from: virgilw on October 04, 2014, 09:53:30 AMI'll soon post a few details on some experimental work I've been doing...

I wonder what you mean by "soon". :)

Is there a way to be considered for inclusion in the beta group for your next big game? If so, I'd like to humbly request to be added.

knucracker

Soon means "on the order of weeks" in this case.  I have things I could show now, but graphics are temporary and or stub and game play is still in flux... but there are still lots of very interesting things.

My goal is to work towards an early "vision" video I can release as an official public launch for the project.  I'd love to get that up in November but it could be December if the currents carry me there.

stdout