no history for creeperworld2

Started by garytwisted, January 15, 2012, 09:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garytwisted

Hi

I juest installed the latest update for creeper world 2.  played a couple of custom maps and then exitted thne game

when i loaded the game back up all my history has vanished.  all gameplay history.  had anyone else had thiks problem and is there anything i can do to restore everything?  6 months of playing the game I really dont want to start again from scratch

cheers

Ebon Heart

I believe you can have someone email you a save from whatever level you're on, and it will put you back at that level (I'm not sure). As for your scores, unless you didn't submit them, they should be on the high score list.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

garytwisted

i finished the game itself and hundreds of custom maps.  was trying to keep up with the new maps coming out so am gutted that all my history of scores and which maps i've completed may have gone.

if anyone can help i'd be very grateful

Ebon Heart

Quote from: garytwisted on January 16, 2012, 06:43:29 AM
i finished the game itself and hundreds of custom maps.  was trying to keep up with the new maps coming out so am gutted that all my history of scores and which maps i've completed may have gone.

if anyone can help i'd be very grateful
Your scores aren't gone. Check the high scores list of any of the maps you've completed. :P
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

garytwisted

I've never submitted scores but thanks for your reply.  not really bothered about the scores themselves just the game progress.

what i'm really looking for is if there's any way to retrieve my lost game play history and if this has happened to anyone else.

it's a real shame to have 6 months worth of game play wiped out like this.  i really love playikng this game but not sure i can face trying to do all the maps again.   :'(

Grauniad

There are three main files involved in Creeper World2 settings.

These files reside in the local storage directory (usually hidden). You can access it easily by typing

%appdata%\CreeperWorld2\

In the address bar for Windows explorer  (Not Internet Explorer, but the utility to look at files on your own computer).

The files are:

keyData.dat - the license key for CW2
gameState.dat - items such as window placement and size.
gameData.dat - keep track of maps, etc. - this is usually the file that grows and gets bigger over time.

There are also two folders:

customgames:  Custom games displayed in the "My Maps" pane is stored in this folder.
Local Store: Not really important.

Can you check if you have all these files present? Unfortunately, if they are missing, then the game generates new ones.

You can check if you have any backups (especially of gameData.dat) and restore those.

If you have no backups, I'm afraid there may not be much that can be done. I recently suffered a similar fate in Creeper World 1, but we've no idea how or why this happened.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

knucracker

The main file that stores your progress is the gameData.dat file as Grauniad pointed out.  If you have that (and have not restored it or anything), email it to support at knuckle cracker dot com.  I can confirm if the file is 'new' or if it is an older file with lots of progress still in it.  Chances are, it will be 'empty' since you have run the game and the game will write out it's current state when you play a game.  But it never hurts to look....

garytwisted

cool, thanks will do that in a minute

i suspect it's empty which will be a shame but like you say it's worth double checking.  :)

i also imagine it's more likely to be a problem with my computer than a bug but maybe it might be worth suggesting people back up their files in case this happens to anyone else

cheers again

Gary

schlo

I had the same issue four times in two days.
My system is a windows 7 home premium 64bit pc.
CW version is 0439
Adobe air is version 3.00.0.4080

schlo

It happened again.  ???
It seems, that the gameData.dat has been cleared while the game was running (finishes a level).

knucracker

What game were you playing?  Was it a custom map (if so, which one).  If you can create a reproducible case that would let me understand more about what is going on.  Also, I assume you are not running this on a multi-user system and that you don't somehow have multiple instances of the game running (check the task manager).

schlo

I play CW2.
It was the custom map "mission 2" by l3h3l.
There is only one instance of cw2 running.
I load a quicksavegame of this map.
When I finished the map, the file gameData.dat was emptied when the statistics appeared on the screen. But it is not reproducable  :-\
But it happened with other maps, too.
Maybe it is a problem to write the new stats of the finished map in the gameData.dat because it was emptied.

schlo

Happened again playing the map "Can you escape the cage?" by MHSTR.
At the moment, when the stats where shown, the gameData.dat has 0 KB. Notepad++ shows no code in it.

knucracker

Very odd....
The question is exactly when gameData.dat got set to 0 bytes.  I assume it was fine while you were playing the game.  Not being able to always reproduce this makes more likely that this involves some external agent.  Do you have any active virus scanning software running that might prevent  writing to certain files?  I'm reaching since I can't otherwise explain why that file would sometimes get truncated to 0.

schlo

Ok,
i deactivated Microsoft Security Essentials for the CW2 folder in "appdata".
Now I have a quicksave that resets the gamaData.dat every time I load it.
I hope, you can reproduce this with your system, too.