Main Menu

Linux version

Started by cclloyd9785, August 02, 2011, 07:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cclloyd9785

Is there going to be any development for a Linux version?  I got it working using wine, but not perfectly by far, and since it emulates a gpu it does lag usually.

If anything, it doesn't even have to be like normal programs and can be like Chrome, where it is put in the /opt directory instead, and requires a lot less messing with Linux directories and such.

Grauniad

You should ask the question of Adobe. When they release AIR for Linux, then CW will run on it. :)
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Ebon Heart

When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

cclloyd9785

There already is Air for Linux.  I have it on my Ubuntu right now...

knucracker

Future versions of AIR on linux may not happen (at least not from Adobe).
http://blogs.adobe.com/open/2011/06/focusing-on-the-next-linux-client.html

MadMag

CW3 = html5 or Frostbite 4 :)

Grauniad

Quote from: cclloyd9785 on August 03, 2011, 04:09:02 PM
There already is Air for Linux.  I have it on my Ubuntu right now...

Then I'm not sure I understand what you are asking for. there is no apecific version of CW for Windows or Mac, simply a version for AIR, yet you ask for a specific version for Linux? or what am I missing? 

I do understand that in many environments, the open source drivers (for instance) for graphics cards perform worse than the manufacturer versions for Windows. Is this the problem that you are experiencing?

MadMag

As it is now it is working for Linux, no problem there.

offsides

As of the 2.7 release of Adobe AIR, all Linux support has been dropped.  This means that the most recent CW2 patch, which (at least as shipped) requires AIR 2.7, breaks for Linux users.  I have attempted to run it using AIR 2.6 on Linux after editing the application.xml file to use that version, but that gives "error while loading initial content" and dies.  As a result, if I update the latest version of CW2, I can no longer play it on my normal desktop (I use Linux almost exclusively, and the things I do that aren't on Linux are grudging).

I don't know if AIR for Windows will work properly under wine - that's my next thing to investigate, but unless CW2 can be rebuilt to run using AIR2.6, it looks like native Linux CW2 is no longer an option :(

knucracker

Yeah, I had to move to the latest AIR to get the latest webkit browser for the custom maps.  And as you have noted, Adobe has dropped support for Linux.  In theory, it should work under Wine....

Echo51

Is the latest webkit browser actually required by you virgil? surely you aren't making a robust webbrowser, but the sites it visit are already decided upon, so shouldn't be that hard to suit it to use the older webkit, or am i wrong? :)
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

knucracker

You'd think.... but older versions of AIR with the slightly older webkit browser don't let me intercept link clicks and handle them manually (like when you click a download link on a custom map).

jkljkljkljkl

Quote from: virgilw on August 23, 2011, 04:31:47 PM
You'd think.... but older versions of AIR with the slightly older webkit browser don't let me intercept link clicks and handle them manually (like when you click a download link on a custom map).

This is an immense shame (for me) as I do not have any Windows machines. Since there is no official Linux version of CW2, there are unlikely to be any usage stats. Would you consider running a poll to count the number of Linux users to see if we are a large enough fraction of your customer base to make writing a workaround worthwhile?

I'd be happy with copying the map files to a suitable directory and restarting CW2. In fact, I already did that with the hacked up custom map which was posted a while ago...

I've greatly enjoyed CW1 and 2 and I've been looking forward to custom maps for a while.

Grauniad

Have you tried running under WINE? That would be the first step.

offsides

Base CW2 install ran fine under WINE (technically Crossover 10 Professional).  However, if I try to upgrade to the 307 patch, the AIR updated tells me something is corrupted and the whole thing is borked (and won't even try to run again).  The only way to even get CW2 reinstalled was to manually purge all traces of it and start over...

This is really disappointing, especially since Adobe fully supports AIR for Android, which is just Linux running on a different hardware achitecture...