Number of totem packets not calculated correctly (BUG)

Started by UpperKEES, October 08, 2010, 02:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Quote from: Fisherck on October 08, 2010, 08:51:00 PM
The only time I can say I have seen something like this is when you get the 10% less build upgrade. You enable it when building a building like a collector, but too slow for the city to register it, and the collector is built before the last packet has been sent out, but the city still sends a packet out for it.

Yeah, when I build my first two collectors of a map and one of them is connecting to an upgrade (which is very often the case because I fly OC there), I purposely start building the second collector when 2 packets for the first one have been sent, so I save one packet (corresponding to 1 second during the initial phase of the game). "He that can not keep a penny shall never have many." Or as we say here: "Who can't appreciate something small, isn't worth big things at all." ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

knucracker

Good catch....
This is one of those unintended consequences that pop up constantly with new feature additions.  This is also a case where defensive programming prevents more serious problems.  The structures don't freak out when they get packets that are beyond what was necessary.... this is "safe" because I coded up extra logic to handle cases that "weren't supposed to happen". :)

Now, the part about turning it on and off to force overdrive ammo packets to blasters.... you maybe should have kept that one to yourself. :)  You might have been the only person to discover this and could have had an advantage on any "short" map where building a speed node was necessary and would make a difference in the score.

UpperKEES

Quote from: virgilw on October 08, 2010, 11:36:50 PM
Good catch....
This is one of those unintended consequences that pop up constantly with new feature additions.  This is also a case where defensive programming prevents more serious problems.  The structures don't freak out when they get packets that are beyond what was necessary.... this is "safe" because I coded up extra logic to handle cases that "weren't supposed to happen". :)

Yeah, but the packets are still lost, so you really have to pay attention when re-enabling a certain packet type again.

Quote from: virgilw on October 08, 2010, 11:36:50 PM
Now, the part about turning it on and off to force overdrive ammo packets to blasters.... you maybe should have kept that one to yourself. :)  You might have been the only person to discover this and could have had an advantage on any "short" map where building a speed node was necessary and would make a difference in the score.

Nah, I don't need another advantage; I already have my brain. ;) And when playing for a highscore I like everyone to have the same chances, so I can beat them fair and square. :)

I do like the term overdriving for this new 'feature' though!

mthw2vc

You can also use it to convert excess build packets into ammo.

thepenguin

Quote from: mthw2vc on October 09, 2010, 07:34:35 AM

yes, that works very well, I can charge a blaster without ammo packets!

it must be that virgil's code sends packets in different types, but receives them all as just a general packet, and uses that for whatever it is trying to do

(you might be able to charge a totem with ammo packets or build packets :D)
We have become the creeper...

UpperKEES

Quote from: mthw2vc on October 09, 2010, 07:34:35 AM

Great! That solves the initial delay after building a weapon.

Quote from: thepenguin on October 09, 2010, 09:01:06 AM
(you might be able to charge a totem with ammo packets or build packets :D)

Sure, you only have to build your own firing totems first.... :P

thepenguin

Quote from: UpperKEES on October 09, 2010, 09:48:14 AM
Sure, you only have to build your own firing totems first.... :P

Idea for an update?  :D :P
We have become the creeper...

SPIFFEN

I just noticed that an grey packet whent to an Blaster after i moved it ,
and it's only possible to move it after its finnished build =P

I did'nt notice if the grey packet worked as an red packet ,
but i dont think so .
And that was without turning off and on packets on the city !
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

Kamron3

Quote from: virgilw on October 08, 2010, 11:36:50 PMNow, the part about turning it on and off to force overdrive ammo packets to blasters.... you maybe should have kept that one to yourself. :)  You might have been the only person to discover this and could have had an advantage on any "short" map where building a speed node was necessary and would make a difference in the score.

I knew about this... I just didn't say anything. (actually that's the truth) The reason why I never said anything is because I thought everyone knew o.O