Custom Map: Nice Job 16: The Speleologist

Started by AutoPost, June 09, 2010, 12:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Nice Job 16: The Speleologist

Author: UpperKEES

Desc:
The creeper may flow a little differently than expected at first glance. You will have enough space to start building, but how many techs and upgrades are you able to collect before you have to set up your defences?

UpperKEES

Title:
Nice Job 16: The Speleologist
Difficulty:
Hard
Creeper type:
Land & Air
Remarks:
The creeper may flow a little differently than expected at first glance. You will have enough space to start building, but how many techs and upgrades are you able to collect before you have to set up your defences?
Description:
Exploring caves has always been your passion. Now you're getting paid to study the biological life forms it even got better.

Today you've entered a cave with huge stalactites hanging down from the ceiling and enormous stalagmites raising up from the floor.

The cave doesn't seem to be very stable; big rocks might be falling down occasionally.

You wonder what kind of organisms you should expect here. Let's find out....
Download page:
Nice Job 16: The Speleologist
Full size screen shot:
More maps:
Apply here for another job ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

UpperKEES

Hmmm, I guess this one is considered a bit tough, so here are some tips:

Spoiler
- You have to find a trade off between setting up your defences and collecting techs and upgrades (there's an upgrade underneath each tech, except for the blaster tech).
[close]
Spoiler
- To collect the techs and upgrades you may want to move OC a bit (but the further you move it, the more dangerous it becomes).
[close]
Spoiler
- You should collect at least up to the reactor tech, but the speed tech is also possible if you play it right.
[close]
Spoiler
- You don't need that much energy for this map; 7-8 should be enough (especially because you'll be building more collectors later on).
[close]
Spoiler
- 2 blasters are enough to defend your initial position if placed well (even when you moved OC a bit).
[close]
Spoiler
- Every emitter can (and should) be capped.
[close]
Spoiler
- Don't waste energy trying to defend the few collectors you've probably built on the stalagmites; better use the stalagmites (at the bottom of your screen) as a buffer where the creeper will flow while you start capping the emitters at the top.
[close]
Spoiler
- There will never be more than 3 spores.
[close]

Time to improve my own score now....  :P

NNR_Alex

hmm i'm surprised no one has commented yet, guess i'll kick it off then.

Pretty fun, nice only needing 2 to start up, i couldn't get the speed tech though so guess who had to do most the level without it.  That's ok progress was much faster than on grave digger, it reminded me of the teacher a lot.

UpperKEES

Thanks Alex! :)

Spoiler
I did my first try without the speed tech as well. It's not that bad, as you don't have to sacrifice 2 more collectors and are able to set up your defences quicker. I've attached a screenshot how to obtain the speed tech during early game. I keep Odin City in that position for 70% of the game and then move it 2 stalagmites more to the right (to shorten the supply lines).
[close]

Spoiler
Once you get going the progress is indeed rather fast, especially when you build all energy, speed nodes and spare blasters in advance.
[close]

RichieRich

Thanks UpperKEES,

I am going to scratch my head for a while figuring out how you did that time.

First time I took 40 minutes. Second 22 but I thought I was pretty tight on getting the energy together.

Anyway, hat tip sir.

UpperKEES

I didn't do anything special, as far as I know. I just follow my normal guidelines:

Spoiler
- Build all energy first (if possible, of course you might have to defend yourself or conquer new grounds to obtain more space).
[close]
Spoiler
- Account for 2-3 units of energy per second more than the number of weapons you'll need, so you can keep building 2-3 structures (often collectors) simultaneously while fighting.
[close]
Spoiler
- Don't fight creeper that is not causing a problem at that moment.
[close]
Spoiler
- When you have enough energy (you might know this from experience or because it is your 2nd or 3rd attempt), first build some speed nodes and spare (disarmed) blasters.
[close]
Spoiler
- Then go and keep going; pause a lot to move forward at various fronts at the same time. Go straight for the totems/techs/pods/artifacts.
[close]
Spoiler
- Cap emitters by flying in some blasters that will hold position until the connecting collector has been finished (this is when the speed nodes come in handy). ;)
[close]
Spoiler
- Move OC closer to the front if possible to shorten the supply lines.
[close]

My first try (after testing a few weeks ago) took me 17:32 if I remember correctly, so I shaved off about 5 minutes myself. When I would play again I would probably gain another minute. You took off 18 minutes of your first time, so I'm sure you would gain another 5 minutes when you would try again.

Maybe I'll install a video recording program one day and let people decide of which map they like a video. At the moment I rather let people find out themselves because I believe you learn most from your own experience (especially mistakes). Never hesitate to ask anything though, as I'm always willing to help, even if you already can finish the map but just like to improve yourself.

By the way: I'm waiting for your second map! ;)

NNR_Alex

the only maps i think it would be useful to see a video play through are ones that only have 1 or 2 scores posted, otherwise the tips you write in here should be enough.  But I like seeing creeper world maps in general, it's always entertaining to me to see everyone's own approach to a level.

UpperKEES

In that case The Athlete is candidate number 1, as only Miss Melissa has been able to solve this one. This map is more a 'puzzle'-map however, so I would give away the solution completely by showing a video of that one. It's a good suggestion though, so I'll think about a map with not too many scores....

Miss Melissa

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 11, 2010, 09:44:02 PM
In that case The Athlete is candidate number 1, as only Miss Melissa has been able to solve this one. This map is more a 'puzzle'-map however, so I would give away the solution completely by showing a video of that one. It's a good suggestion though, so I'll think about a map with not too many scores....

yah, u dont wanna give away the athlete.. i musta restarted that one near a hundred times. if someones determined enough, they'll get it.  :D

UpperKEES

Near a hundred? Wow! You could have asked for a hint of course, but you have your pride I guess.... ;)

One thing is for sure: that pride combined with your perseverance makes you perform very well! I'm often pleasantly surprised by the very fast times you set for my maps (and often make me go for a second or even third run because you beat me badly). I love people that never give up (as I never do myself). :)

When I finished releasing all my maps I will create one video of the map that has been requested most. The really hard ones are yet to come.... :P

Vexsin

Def didnt expect the levels of High Ground / Low ground at first. Score was a lot lower than I would have liked, but at least I got through it

UpperKEES

Quote from: Vexsin on July 29, 2010, 09:58:18 AM
Def didnt expect the levels of High Ground / Low ground at first.

Hence this remark: The creeper may flow a little differently than expected at first glance. ;)

Quote from: Vexsin on July 29, 2010, 09:58:18 AM
Score was a lot lower than I would have liked, but at least I got through it

You can't have it all! ;D Very decent time though....

DethbyIT

Excellent tips - thanks for the assist.
Great fun to play (and win!).

Thank you.
dbit

UpperKEES

Ah, you got on track pretty quickly after my PM. :)

Which tip helped you best? I don't mind you posting that one here to help out future players....